Tuesday 3 May 2011

Sony Cybershot


Below are my thoughts on why I chose the HX100V:



1) I need a new camera with video. I wondered about getting a DSLR but then found a bridge camera to be more covenant (as far as size), flexible (as far as features, especially the zoom range) and more affordable.

2) I wanted a camera with tilt screen since I'll be taking angled pictures and video. This feature does make a difference for me.

3) I hate Sony's exclusivity to only their memory card. This camera did not have this problem; I can use non-Sony memory cards.

4) The 3-inch screen resolution on this camera was much greater than other bridge cameras. In my thinking, I'm using this screen all the time, so why not get the best resolution.

5) I didn't care much for the RAW feature. I take pictures and don't do much editing afterwards.



Now here are my thoughts after using the camera for one weekend, with the disclaimer that I'm not an ardent photographer. First, my positive thoughts so far:



1) I love the zoom on this camera. Wow! With smart zoom and image stabilizer turned on, it can zoom up to 216x's. Granted the picture gets a bit fuzzy around 50-60x's but it's still recognizable. The zoom makes it feel like a camera that the FBI would use!

2) The movie mode worked well. Clear to see on my TV and great sound. Again, the tilt screen-option helps tremendously.

3) I love the background defocus feature. Awesome! The pictures look professional. You do have to keep the right distance in order for it to work. But even if it doesn't work, it'll still take a normal picture with a message letting you know that it didn't work. Make sure you follow the instruction on the screen that tells you how far away from the subject you need to be. As you zoom in further, the distance from the subject increases. It takes some practice.

4) The size and weight are manageable. You can't fit it in your pocket, but at least you can carry it around all day without much hassle (plus you look like a better photographer since you have a bigger camera :)).

5) I used the camera for most of the day on Saturday. Battery needed to be recharged at night. Granted, I did not use the GPS feature at all. But with normal use, the battery holds its charge.

6) The smile detection feature is great! I turn on this feature and it automatically takes a shot when the subject smiles (the level of smile can be adjusted as well). This will especially be awesome for taking baby pictures. Plus, you can set up the timer on the camera to take a shot when one or two subjects are seen. It's great to take self portraits with my wife.

7) Panoramic view is useful at times. It's easy to use once you try it a couple of times.

8) Lower light shots are decent on this camera. It helps to set it to Superior Intelligent mode where it will take a few shots and combine them (note: file size is not much larger when doing this). The pictures are definitely brighter than my older cameras in low light. In addition, the back-light feature on Screen mode produces brighter pictures.



Below are my negative thoughts (after only one weekend of using it):



1) It's not a SLR camera. So don't expect SLR pictures. I've compared it to my old Sony point and shoot camera. The same pictures side-by-side shows some differences, but it's not major. The value of the HX100V is being able to tinker with setting to get a better picture (though I'm still learning this as I go). Plus, the intelligent mode does a better job in adjusting the settings. And most importantly, the zoom and extra features (defocus, smile detection, panoramic, video, etc.) sets it apart.

2) The manual ring in the front was hardly used. I admit, this feature was very attractive before buying. But after using it, I'm more comfortable using the regular zoom. The manual focus feature seems less useful since the camera already does an awesome job of focusing automatically.

Plus, if want to adjust the focus manually (when for instance shooting two subjects behind each other), I've found using the "tracking focus" easier. To do this, push the middle "control button", which will pull up a box where you place the object to focus on. Then push the middle button again and it locks this object in focus. Furthermore, you can use the dedicated "focus" button on the camera to do some manual focusing as well.

So in essence the manual focus ring is not as responsive when compared to SLR cameras, since it's electronic. But with other options available, it's not as a big deal.

3) I wish the "custom" button on the camera would have more options. For me, it would have been great to program the "defocus" feature to this button. This way I can activate it with a push of a button instead of going to Screen mode and choosing it, or the MR mode.

4) It's very easy to leave your fingerprints on the screen. I'd probably have to do some research on finding some protective sticky that won't leave fingerprint marks (if it even exists).

5) The lag time when I move the "mode dial ring" is a bit slower since it also shows which mode I'm moving it to on the screen. I don't see why the 3-inch screen shows these changes since I'm already looking at the dial. Plus, I don't think there's a way to de-activate the screen showing this info.

It's a small complaint since I have to wait for the screen to go "live". But I did find that you can start taking the next picture while the review screen is coming up.

6) I don't see myself using the 3D feature since I don't plan to get a 3D TV. Plus, unless someone can give a great reason to use the GPS on this camera, I don't see it being used much. The cost of battery life seems to overweight its benefits. But, GPS may come in handy if I'm on a traveling tour and I buy an extra battery.

7) The file sizes of the pictures are around 5MB when it's set on the 16MP mode. I shot the same picture with 16MP and 5MP (the 5MP picture makes the file size around 2MB). I couldn't see any major differences in these two pictures side-by-side. Since the maximum size I'll print these pictures will probably be 8x10, I'll be keeping the camera on the 5MP mode. Plus, this mode gives greater zoom than 16MP (with smart zoom turned on).

8) The video file sizes are large. A few seconds of video takes around 20-30MB's. So I'm thinking I'll keep the video mode lower (and not in the maximum-HD option) since I plan to burn my videos to DVD for storage. Even in these lower modes, the videos are still great.



These are my overall thoughts so far. I hope you find it useful in making your decision. And thank you again for all those who have posted before me on this camera. Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX100V 16.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Still Camera with Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 30x Optical Zoom Lens and Full HD 1080 Video'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Sony Cybershot Sony Cybershot Sony Cybershot