Monday 9 May 2011

Power Converters - transformer, power converters


Be very careful when approaching the load limit (200 watts) of this transformer/converter. After roughly two hours with an 181-watt (1.51 amp) load, one of my transformers overheated, melted, allowed a full 230 volt output surge for several seconds, and then blew the circuit breaker in my house. The unit remained extremely hot for several hours afterwards. In the meantime, I checked the load (which was resilient enough to be undamaged) with a Fluke multimeter to ensure it did not exceed 200 watts. The load remained steady at the level specified.



That said, the other two transformers purchased are performing admirably in less demanding, low wattage, applications. I'm temporarily residing overseas. Since it gets tiresome toting around (and expensive buying) larger transformers for every little task, the compact size and low price of this transformer is well appreciated.



--------



DETERMINING TRANSFORMER REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DEVICE YOU INTEND TO USE



After reading several reviews, it appears some do not understand the limits of transformers/converters. This small transformer is intended low wattage items, such as a small laptop or netbook, battery charger, small kitchen aid, electric shaver, and similar.



It is not intended for high wattage items like hair dryers, clothing irons, heaters, toasters, other household appliances, power tools, multiple items at the same time, and so on. Use of such high wattage items with this transformer will result in damage and could potentially cause injury or fire.



To determine the electrical input requirements of the 120v device you intend to use, look at the product label on that device. That label will express the input requirements in either watts or amps. The device plugged into this transformer should not exceed 200 watts or 1.66 amps - the input numbers should be equal to or lower than 200 watts or 1.66 amps.



If the input requirements exceed those numbers, use a larger transformer (qreater or equal to the numbers on the device) instead of this one.



--------



Actually, based on my experience described in the first paragraph above, I'd personally recommend not using devices exceeding 150 watts or 1.25 amps. Even then, it would be wise to carefully monitor devices approaching those numbers for a while to ensure they will continue to operate safely. One Way Voltage Converter 220/240V to 110/120V AC - 200 Watt

I purchased this transformer to be used in Pakistan for my camera, laptop, and 110 watt iPod dock. It worked for all of my items. I left my iPod dock plugged in all night to charge my iPod, and while listening to music. It worked perfectly, didn't get heated or make any sort of noise. It has a long European cord which made it easy for me to plug it in and put it on top of my table, unlike other converters where it sticks on the wall. My camera and laptop charger also worked fine. Its light weight, perfect for travel use, wouldn't travel without it.

I've only been using this for a couple of weeks now so I can't vouche for long term use but it has been working like a charm. It's been used almost constantly to charge a couple of laptops while I'm abroad and the only problem I've noticed is that it tends to get rather warm, which is not unexpected. I try to let it cool off every now and then for a few minutes to a 1/2 an hour and then plug it back in.

I hope this helps.

I took a few of these to Italy with me because the one I bought last year (different brand) blew a fuse and was unusable. I wanted backups! I did not need them, just one worked great and I have more for other uses now. I used this for my laptop computer and digital camera and both worked swimmingly well.

I did not use this travel voltage converter for its intended use, so I can't comment on its suitability compared to other products on the market. I needed a step down power transformer to use in an "industrial" application and it worked perfect for my application at a very low purchase price. I chose this unit for its attached power cord which lets you locate the transformer away from the wall outlet, a critical feature for me. I purchased three and they are all in use. The build quality is good and I've had no problems.

Heavier than expected but it is far more solidly built than other converters that I have used. It works well, enabling me to use my US 110 volt electrical and electronic items without a hitch in South Korea, Singapore and Malaysia. Only thing to bear in mind is the wattage limit stated in the converter.

I have bought this for a trip in Europe since my camera charger works only in 110V. It worked with all my chargers(mobile phone, cameras and laptop) and I was able to connect my laptop power adapter (120W) . The unit may get medium hot if the laptop is connected for long time (overnight charging) but it was fine I guess.

Only concern is the converter does not have a ground connection but most of the electronic devices does not have a ground connection either. Also unit is little heavy since it uses step-down transformer.

Anyway I would recommend this to anyone who needs a voltage converter for their electronic devices. - Transformer - Power Converters - Travel Converter - Power Converter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information