Monday 25 April 2011

Multimaster - tools, multimaster


This bosch multi-x use tool is exactly that. I do remodeling/ finishing/framing and light cabinet building on site and install. This tool has been used much more than I had originally thought. I've used it for drywall cutting(it makes very nice straight cuts with relatively little dust flying everywhere). I've used it for flush cutting, it will cut through a 2x4 if needed. It works great where it's to hard or awkward to use a sawzall. The detail sanding pad works great and is very nice for tight spaces or small areas. I wish there was a vaccum attachment for this though...?



Also the blades are very nice and are quite durable. I'm anxious to see bosch release their own blades/attachments soon. (A rep just said that they should be released next week. Dec 8th? ) Also he said they would be priced from 10-40% LESS then the compareable Fein attachments!! Thats about time.



Another thing. I tried to use the new Dremel's sandpaper on the bosch, but the Dremel's sandpaper are too small. They don't work well at all. I think the Dremel's other attachments will work fine though.



I think i would actually give this a 4.5 star if i could because there are a few shortcomings.



1. The battery life is short. maybe 5-10 minutes depending on how hard you're pushing this tool and how high the variable speed is. Also when maxed out, this tool does make a good amount of noise and has some vibration. I've used it often dialed about halfway up. Its quieter and less agressive but usually plenty of power. Also, a bosch Rep told me that the 12 volt max batteries are exactly the same as their 10.8 volt. I just picked up the 10.8 volt impact driver because i needed more batteries to keep this tool running. They are interchangeable and seem to work perfectly the same. I think that the battery option and freedom of cords far outweigh the downside of short battery life. (As long as you have more than 2 batteries!!!)



2. My multi-x has a hard to turn off switch. It may just be mine, because in the store the floor model was just fine.. But its bothersome.

( I bought mine in a store. )



To summerize this, I am very happy with my purchase and can't believe how i did certain things before having this handy tool. If you're serious about being efficient on the job, and are looking for a new favorite tool, you can't go wrong here.



***EDIT*** I would definately not go more than 4 Stars due to the battery life issues and no charge in cold weather. I may be looking to the Fein Multi master Top kit down the road.... Bosch PS50-2B 12-Volt Max Multi-X Carpenter Kit

I took a long time in the store to decide between the Fein and the Bosch. Ultimately, the cheapskate in me won. The significantly lower price of the Bosch and its blades and the feel of the tool in my hand were the deciding factors. The tool feels nimble and can easily be held in one hand.



Bosch has far less choice in blades and attachments than Fein, however, it comes with an adapter so you can use any other manufacturer's attachments. Out of the box it works with the Dremel blades.



For my project I had to cut the bottom of a partially encased 4 x 4 post that had been eaten by ants. The wood is redwood. It took multiple cuts to do this, but the Bosch made it through. Before completion, I exhausted the first battery (5 minutes) and put it in the charger. The battery had become so hot from the cutting that it wouldn't charge. It needed to cool down first. That means that you cannot reuse it within the advertised 30 minutes. I plugged in the second battery and resumed cutting. After 10 seconds the battery popped out and kept popping out. The vibration of the tool had broken the tabs on the battery that hold it in place. By holding the battery with one hand I could finish the cutting of one post. It did the trick, but not as as smooth as I had hoped.



I packed it all up and returned it. I've ordered the Fein and am waiting for it now. Too bad, because on paper the Bosch has a lot going for it. Probably great for small jobs or sites with no electricity. I think the battery is far too small and too low in power for this tool. Even discounting the broken battery - that may be incidental - I can only give it two stars because of the short battery life and long wait for the recharge.



Update:

I received the Fein corded version FMM 250Q today and used it on the second post. Well, what a difference. The Fein is much more powerful, quiet and vibrates far less. Cutting out 12 inches off the sill and through the 4 x4 post was very easy. With the Bosch it felt like a struggle, with the Fein it was fun. Moral of the story: You get what you pay for.

I found this gadget to be excellent for what I wanted it for. Battery life is fine, but using the supplied batteries out of the box the first gave out after les than 5 minutes of cutting foam in place insulation. The second completed the job. Cutting green board the battery that initially had the low charge gave out in a bit less than 15 minutes, the other battery lasted a bit over ½ hour. Trying the short battery again it lasted 35 minutes. So the batteries ability to be fully charged increases with the number of charges--weird



Fein versus Bosh: I feel that there are valid reasons to buy the Fein over the Bosch. They are:

1) Accessories--the Fein has a lot more and some are impossible to fake. (BTW the new star accessories are NOT COMPATABLE with the Bosch!)

2) Corded; more powerful and faster cuts particularly in heavy materials.

3) Very good dust control system.



Bosch over Fein:

1) Fein is 2x the Bosch cost and if you get the dust remover 3x.

2) Cordless and in some cases the dust removal system can't be used due to space.

3) Fein Star connect is unique and there are no alternate sources for accessories.

4) Fein much more of a production to setup, not really suitable for small jobs.



The charger works on the older 10.8 batteries and the new 12 V so in a pinch you can use the 10.8 batteries from your old tools--short life though.



Conclusion/last thoughts: If you do renovation/remodeling for a living get the Fein and the Bosch. If you do heavy remodeling get the Fein. Otherwise unless you must have a unique accessory (or the dust collection) get the Bosh. (I can buy a lot of dust masks and throwaway paper overalls for $400.)



Projects.

I did several projects so far;

First tearing out code drywall (2 sheets of ½ back to back) and green board (concrete board used for steam baths, saunas etc.) and miscellaneous stuff.

I was unsure of using the multi tool as I felt that I could do as well with a sawzall but I was wrong. The Bosch did much better faster in walling where the Green Board had been installed and then the screws sealed over. A friend with a Fein (he does this for a living) came over and gave me a hand and we were able to strip a bathroom with a 6 ½' wall and two 12' walls and a closet in ½ a day. The Fein did about 2x the work that the Bosch did but that's given a more skilled younger operator and a wired tool and allowing for the dust collection system; which is excellent. The Bosch did very well and I had no real problems with battery life. I was surprised at how easily we could cut the screws without damaging the underlying structure and get rid or the various drywall and green board chunks. (Some of the walls were load bearing with 2x6 on 14" centers.)



I used the wide wood blade to remove a bunch of foam in place insulation that got out of hand during an emergency repair last year without having to remove siding. Did a great job.



A friend installed a bunch of shelves with auger point stainless steel screws that were just a bit too long and wound up with the ends of the screws protruding between 1/8 and ¼" above the top of the shelves. I used the metal/wood blade and was surprised to find that it made nice flush cuts that were smooth and only needed a little touch up paint.



Update:

Used the sander and it works better than expected. I don't see a need for a small linear sander or specialty sander if you have this or the Fein. A large rotary or belt may be an eventual purchase.

The grout blade works very well and will reduce the time to retile a small shower from around a week to a couple of days.



Other considerations:

The case is nice and roomy with space for 2 batteries (so you can carry 3 one in the tool), and a box resembling a standard card file 4x4 ¾ x 6 ¾ (HxWxL) with dividers for accessories. And it has room for another as well. You can leave an accessory tool attached to the multitool if you desire.

SAFTY Issue. You need to remove the battery when changing accessories. The other Bosch tools I have have trigger locks but this doesn't and could cause serious injury if switched on while changing accessories.

The tool doesn't sound that loud in many materials but if used for a long time it will produce hearing problems. I hit a section of dry wall over metal studs and the resonance was loud even with hearing protection.



Summary: battery life is OK and this is a great tool for the price. If you need better buy the Fein at 2x to 3x the price.



Weird things to do with the tool: The metal blade does a bang up job slicing the very crusty French stile bread that is hard to slice without messing up the crust.

Does a great job on those user hostile bubble packs that are hard to open even with a razor knife.



(BTW it appears that some unscrupulous dealers on the `net are selling these with the 10.8V batteries--you are safe with Amazon and affiliates--which have a short charge life in a 12 V tool). - Bosch - Tools - Multimaster - Dremel'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Multimaster - tools, multimaster bosch Multimaster - tools, multimaster