Saturday 16 April 2011

Kindle Stand - kindle covers, e-book cases


I pre-ordered this case for my Kindle 3 because it looked like exactly what I wanted: leather, flip-style opening, easel stand. When I received the case, I had some initial concerns, which caused me to give it a lower rating at first. The longer I used the case, the greater my appreciation for it became and I have adjusted my rating appropriately. Here are some pros and cons:



PROS:

1 - My Kindle 3 fits perfectly in the case. It slides in, feels secure, and all the openings line up perfectly with the Kindle's buttons, access points, keyboard, etc.

2 - The leather looks and feels nice, though it did have an odor at first. Probably nothing unusual for a leather product.

3 - The magnetic closure is very nice. It does a fine job of keeping the cover closed (even when taking it in and out of my purse), and the same magnet also serves to hold the cover in place when it is folded back behind the Kindle.

4 - The stand on the back is magnetically secured to the back of the case when not in use, which is nice. Also, the easel design that this case has, where the front cover folds back around the bottom to become a base for the stand to fit into, is a sturdy design.

5 - The case covers (front and back) are stiff and lightly padded, providing comforting protection for the Kindle.

6 - I have the black one and the appearance of the case is very professional. The insert that supports the easel gives the front of the case a distinct, slightly high-tech look.



CONS:

1 - When you set the cover up like an easel, the part of the cover that comes in contact with the table (or whatever surface you have it on), is the same part of the cover that is toward the front of your Kindle when the case is closed. If the cover were to pick up crumbs, dust, or grit from the table surface and you don't clean it off before closing the case, those things could potentially come in contact with your Kindle screen. However, in actual use, nothing has yet stuck to the cover (which is smooth leather) and it's a simple matter to blow or wipe it off before closing the case.

2 - With the cover open and folded back, it feels a little slippery when holding the Kindle in your hand, if holding it upright and one-handed. However, most people don't hold their Kindle completely upright when reading, so it's not really a problem. I read a lot while laying in bed, which is when this is most noticeable (I have my own solution for that; see below).



Reading in bed: When reading in bed, I prefer to be in a more reclined position with two or three pillows supporting shoulders and head. I do not read in bed in a sitting-up position. I set the Kindle (which is inside the DuraGadget case) up easel-style on a pillow, on my chest. Reading is then hands-free, except to turn the pages. Depending on the angle, I sometimes have a steadying hand holding near the base of the Kindle, but that's only for balance. Reading in bed is why I wish the easel stand fit securely in the slots, rather than just resting in them. (Considering that most covers of this type don't even HAVE slots, I'm really nitpicking here.)



Neither a pro nor a con, just info: There are no cutouts for the speakers, but cutouts are *not necessary*. The speakers are perfectly clear at all volume levels without them. After looking at some other covers available here on Amazon, I realized that some of them had cutouts for the speakers but the DuraGadget didn't. I immediately tested the text-to-speech feature on the Kindle to find out if the sound was muffled. It's fine; no worries. Duragadget Leather Kindle Case with Adjustable Stand (Black)

When I first saw the pics for this product I started a discussion on it for several reasons; it seemed a bit hard to find within Amazon, the distinctive styling and a price that seemed to low to last beyond the pre-order stage.



Seeing some of the earlier reviews caused me concern that I had perhaps steered people toward a wreak of a product. I might have canceled if it hadn't been on the way and was prepared to give Duragadget what for.



Now comes the sigh of relief.



I won't with argue with anyone who didn't like the product but will say I see it very differently.



The cut and stitching seem very well done to me. Stitch lines are straight and uniform.



All cutouts line up perfectly. I moved the Kindle around within the cover and pulled it out and put it back. It is a tight fit and very secure. All edges of the cover extend a bit beyond the Kindle to offer protection. No part of the screen was blocked.



The flap that holds the case shut did seem to weak at first but with a bit of attention to it I found the right positioning easily obtained. The flap will not pull easily away if you pull the case apart gripping the front and back but using magnets in this application does make it easy to slide the clasp off and I could see that happening if its in a bag with other things moving against it. Not necessarily so but possible though the Kindle will still stay covered and seems unlikely to cause a problem.



If this was a problem to me I'd probably do one of two things; avoid any cases with magnetic closures as magnets can hold tight against pulling but still slide or get a small piece of self sticking velcro and add it. Easy, cheap and not a deal breaker for me at least.



Leather seems nice, thin and lightweight with some internal padding. I prefer this to heavier leather and the more common pebble finish.



Yes the stand part can wiggle as it is sewn to the leather back and you can wiggle it laterally but I fail to see that as any problem in actual use. Using the stand seems quite secure and very adjustable. The stand piece is secured to the back of the case with a magnet and is secure. Won't slide free because of its design. It is double sewn where it meets the case.



Cover folds over for one hand reading and the closure flap can be tucked in to secure it if you choose. Took me a couple of times to see how to get it back out easily.



Its brand new so I can only say I see no cracking or obvious potential failure in any straps. There were a few marks I first thought were imperfections in the leather but realized were tiny spots of glue which were easily removed with a bit of moisture and a careful fingernail.



In the stand position the leather internal front part (which doesn't seem to actually contact the screen) is, as one review stated, in contact with whatever its resting on as shown in the pictures. You could possibly pick up some sand or whatever but you could also just brush it off. Lay it down on someones spilled milkshake and you're on your own.



Lastly, the styling is distinctive and very well executed with the stand parts front and back giving it a look apart. - Kindle 3 Covers - E-book Cases - Kindle Stand - Kindle Covers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


kindle stand Kindle Stand - kindle covers, e-book cases