Saturday 12 March 2011

Uninterrupted Power Supply Ups - no, uninterrupted power supply ups


These worked well.

I bought two, the company shipped them (inadequately packaged), I might add, and one was damaged on arrival.

I contacted them and they had me take digital pictures.

They then shipped out a new one, as well as a mailer for the old battery.

I was very pleased with them.



I didn't know these went bad in about three years; the old ones were almost impossible to remove.

They had swelled up, and I had to use a screwdriver to prize them out of each UPS.

So.... replace these after about 2 1/2 years to save yourself some trouble.



The replacements are working fine.



They were very hard to install, as the leads were quite short, but it's a

poor design on the UPS's part, not the battery manufacturer. Tripp Lite RBC51 Replacement Battery Cartridge for Select Tripp Lite and Other Major UPS Brands

Tripp Lite makes it pretty hard to find a replacement battery. This one worked for me. I saved me from sending the whole rack mounted UPS back to Tripp Lite. I was about to just punt, trash the unit, and buy a replacement rack mount UPS from APC. But this battery saved me from doing that. I opened up the Tripp Lite unit and looked at the dimensions of the battery and power ratings to verify that the battery specifcations matched. The replacement was easy to do.

I bought this cartridge to replace the batteries in my Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1000. I'm not exactly sure how old the UPS is, but I'd estimate buying it 5 to 7 years ago. Maybe the UPS design has changed in that time, but this cartridge was not a simple replacement for the original batteries. My unit came with a pair of 6V batteries connected in series to the UPS. This cartridge is a single unit with a 12V output, so one of these replaces the two old batteries. My OMNIVS1000 battery compartment has some plastic dividers that separate the two original batteries. This replacement is a little wider than one of the old batteries so it did not fit into either side of the battery compartment. I did a little trimming of the inside with a Dremel and then the new cartridge fit just fine. The battery can slide around in the UPS but it just sits quietly on the floor so I don't see a problem. This replacement is smaller than the total of the two old batteries so I'm guessing it has less storage capacity. However, it has been working fine so I don't regret the purchase. On the other hand, I have three more OMNIVS1000 units all about the same age so I needed more replacements. For those I purchased pairs of batteries that are exactly like the originals from [...].



One thing I found confusing when searching for replacement batteries was that some sites showed this single cartridge without spelling out that ONE of these replaces TWO old batteries. I realized only one of these is needed when I saw in the specifications that it's a 12V unit instead of the original 6V batteries. If your UPS is the same design as mine you will not be able to simply slide out the old batteries and slide in this one. Open the UPS and check what's in it now before you order any replacements so you understand what you need. Maybe the newer Tripp-Lite units are made to use a single battery like this one, but the older units definitely are not.

the tripplite omnivs1000 requires two of these and the cost of two batterys is almost the same as the whole ups. Whay does the ups makers have to make the ups stop functioning completely when the battery dies? It cannot even be used as power strip. - No - Computer Power Backup - Uninterrupted Power Supply Ups - Battery Backup'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Uninterrupted Power Supply Ups - no, uninterrupted power supply ups no Uninterrupted Power Supply Ups - no, uninterrupted power supply ups