Wednesday 16 March 2011

Proctor Silex Travel Kettle


The kettle has several features that make is handy for traveling (110 only) and everyday use.



1) The cord detaches from the kettle making pouring easier.

2) A removable plastic mesh screen helps prevent hard water scum going from kettle to cup. (make sure to rinse the screen out after use)

3) 2 boil functions: auto-off and continuous boil (lid snapped shut & lid open)

4) Clear pane on both sides of pot enable viewing of water level from both sides of pot.

5) Switch pulls up instead of pushes down to help eliminate accidental-ons.



Cons/Safety issues

1) Lid *must* be snapped shut to enable auto-off function otherwise kettle will be in continuous boil function and could be a safety hazard.

2) Underside of pot gets slightly hot to touch after boiling & hotter still after successive boilings.

3) A strong plastic smell when new. A very faint plastic taste in the water that is not noticable when making teas or coffees. The steam still has a faint plastic smell.

4) Open coil - extra care/maintenance needed if water is very hard or excessive water softener is added.

5) Pitcher-shape excellent for boiling and pouring water for cofee/tea/hot chocolate but not for cooking noodles. (The Pitcher narrows at the bottom forming a 'well" where the open heating coil is). Noodles and other solids can get stuck/burn easily and is difficult to clean in the tight space.


I first became hooked on electric kettles when traveling in the U.K. and have kept putting off getting one. This is perfect for my six (O, heavens did I really say six!) cups of tea a day. Faster than the microwave (only because its actually boiled and hot) and no worrys about...did I leave the stove on as it has a brilliant auto shut-off. It even stays plenty warm enough to top off the first cup of tea. I love it, am only sorry it took this many years to indulge my self with such a simple product!


This electric teapot is efficient, quick and easy to use. I travel to several different offices for my company on short term assignments, I can easily carry my teapot, use it in my office, and I also use it to add hot water to my soups from the health food store. The price is right for sure.


We have had this little hot water heater a long time. I take my oolong tea everywhere, and only use filtered water for the tea, so I can't risk getting it anywhere else. The water boils in a matter of 2-3 minutes, even when filled to the top. It is extremely portable. The cable unplug and fits right inside for travel. It is light, unbreakable, and extremely portable. Very happy with it for the price! (And I hardlly give 5/5 score!)


Great little gadget for heating water. I don't have to monitor it since it has an auto off. The water is steaming hot, great for a tea drinker like me. Great price too!

I bought this for traveling and heating water in hotel rooms. I have been using it at home so far. I am going to give it a spin (travel) this thanksgiving. Unbeatable, for the $10 I paid for it.


Proctor Silex K2070 1-Quart Automatic Electric Kettle, White




  • 1000-watt electric kettle rapidly boils up to 1 quart of water

  • Detachable cord and nonspill spout for graceful serving

  • Immersed heating element; automatic shut off; boil-dry protection

  • Dual water-level indicators; easy-open lid with security lock for safety

  • Measures approximately 9-1/6 by 5 by 7-1/3 inches; 180-day limited warranty


'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information