Wednesday 16 March 2011

Outdoor Speakers - volume control


These rating systems really do need a ZERO. Occasionally you need it. This is one of those.



I could not connect the speaker wires for the left channel. The set screws are blocked by the sides of the front cover plate. The answer, of course, is to remove the cover. Easier said than done. I'm not a novice at this, and I was still unable to remove the knob to get at the nut securing the cover to the controller.



The instructions made no mention of this need to remove the cover plate, so they don't tell you how the knob is secured. I tried several things, but when the force exerted got me worried about breaking something I backed off.



The product ships in a plain white box. Just a part number/name on the label. There is no vendor name on the box or the very skimpy instruction sheet. No website, email, phone - nothing. So I had no way to ask a very simple question that might have save me time and hassle, and avoided completion delay.



the good news is that Amazon is not charging me for the return. It appears Amazon just got this product. I suggested to the Customer Service rep that they pull the product, or they will be getting a lot more of them returned.



Actually, this is unfortunate as the control seems to be otherwise well made.

*********************

UPDATE

I later learned that there is some disassembly required to get the wiring attached. It's not difficult, but there is ZERO documentation on that part and it is far from obvious. I still give it one star for poor docs. New Outdoor Weatherproof Wall Mount Impedance Matching Speaker Dial Volume Control Switch OVCDG

This is a solid product at a good Price ($35). As another reviewer had stated it was difficult to get the speaker wire in that was close to the wall plate. However if you remove the green terminal that the speaker wires go into, it is a lot easier(it just clips on). This will allow you to attach the wire without holding the controller. Also I suggest only using 16 guage wire if you are only installing a pairs of speaker. I has installed 2 pairs of speakers and the 16 guage wire was to very tight fit when you twisted both wires together and tried to install in the terminal. If you are hooking up more that one pair of speakers only use 18 or 22 guage wire it will make your install a lot easier. The only issue I have had is that the instructions do not tell you how to adjust the shorting bars to help match the speaker impedance. Right now i have to have my Onkyo reciver turned up very loud to get signal to the outdoor speakers. That is the only reason why it did not get 5 stars. - Volume Control'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Outdoor Speakers - volume control volume control Outdoor Speakers - volume control