Saturday 12 February 2011

Quality Product - power strip, outlet


For those of you lucky enough to avoid costly damage from lightning or voltage spikes, the clock is ticking. Eventually, your luck will run out unless you protect yourself with an APC.



Safe & Secure:

I've used APC products for years on all my computers and audio/video equipment. I feel safe & secure and don't worry whenever thunderstorms are present. I also have no worries about the wacko electrical wiring of this older house. I have never experienced any failures on any equipment or devices - except for my garage door opener.



Consider this:

You cannot always go around unplugging everything you care about when storms appear. Besides, this is only half the battle. You may not realize that typical household electrical current slowly deteriorates your electronics. A good example to prove this point: the lights dim when you power on a space heater. That is a power spike which is a jolt to anything plugged in nearby. Spikes damage circuit boards. Think of it as "little electrical jabs".



The Cost:

This APC unit is inexpensive yet includes guaranteed protection up to $75,000 - even against lightning!

Replacement cost of a circuit board for your new washing machine: around $300 plus labor

Replacement cost of a garage door opener: over $100 plus labor

Replacement cost of your new HDTV or your computer: ??? you know what you paid



The Product:

1. protects your phone line

2. protects your cable TV, Dish, or off-air antenna line

3. has 8 outlets, including 4 spaced for those huge block transformer plugs

4. includes a $75,000 equipment protection guarantee (must register the product)

5. protects against lightning strikes (most brands do not)

6. design is sleek and slim with a pivoting plug



Summary:

Okay, I may sound like a salesman for APC. I am not. Did I go overboard with my review? I don't think so. You see, I learned my lesson once - lost my garage door opener to lightning. The thought never occurred to me to protect my detached garage. With that lost money, I could have bought 6 surge protectors.



Make sure you register your APC to validate the excellent warranty.

All brands are NOT the same. Google "APC" and learn for yourself.



Be well,

Jeff APC 8 Outlet 2525J Surge Protector

I bought these for both of my TV's,to help protect them,from lighting storms here in Florida.I have two 800 series APC's for my computers,which I just upgraded a few years ago,and they have worked perfect,when the power goes out,my computers keep going,so it gives me time to shut them down.I trust APC,great product in my view.

As long as it works when it needs to, I'm all set. I like this model since my modem is now protected as well. My last cable modem was burned out during a lightening strike since my last surge protector didn't have the cable capability.

I work with computers and would never expose electronic equipment to power spikes. Equally important for today's expensive HDTVs and peripheral electronics.



Have always been comfortable with APC and Tripp-Lite. The best commendation anyone could award this type of product is 15-20 years of never losing equipment to electrical surges.



I recently needed to purchase a couple new ones and scoured the Amazon reviews for APC, Tripp-Lite, Belkin and a few others.



I have an APC I bought from Dell with a computer 4 years ago. It's large (12 outlets), has well spaced sockets for the adapters and I really like it and trust it. The thing that struck me about this APC was its near identical design.



EVERYTHING about its design had the user in mind. Obviously APC has their eye on ergonomics, not just function. My favorite features are:



1. Style and appearance. The gunmetal gray will go with any decor and colors. Nobody would call it "an outlet strip".



2. "Brick" friendliness. We old-timers used to call the multi-pound adapters of the past "bricks". Well, they're smaller now but don't like to be crowded. This surge suppressor has generous spacing for 4 adapters and then another 4 outlets for cords. The item has a relatively flat surface assuring that it would take an uncommonly heavy brick to have its prongs pull loose.



3. Broad Protection. This SP wants to protect your telephone and coaxial connections as well. My experience is that more damage is caused by telephone line surges than power utility surges. It's reassuring to have these other bases covered.



4. Socket-friendly Plug. I've seen cords that hog a 2 socket outlet. This SP was designed to minimize connection space by placing the connections in its plug at an angle to enable access to the 2nd outlet. The SP end of the cord also has a nice ergonomic 180 degree swivel to allow a more versatile placement, whether it's up on your desk, on the floor, on a shelf, etc., facilitating a more convenient attachment to the outlet.



The surge protection capacity is rated at 2500 joules which should protect again fairly severe spikes. Some low end protectors, including APC's, are rated at 320 joules to under 1000. Bigger should translate to better.



After I bought this my techno-phobic daughter bought 2 of these and one APC 12-outlet model. I have no idea why, but I don't understand women that well. I think she saw the merit of protecting her valuable computers, VCRs, DVRs, TVs and TiVos, or perhaps she was attracted to the gunmetal gray or the sleek design. I hope to find out during the upcoming months.



Thanks for reading ... Sam - Outlet - Electrical - Power Strip - Surge Protectors'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information