Saturday 22 January 2011

Remote-control Extenders - ir emitter, ir kit


I am a professional installer and system designer and have used the Xantech shelf top and "dinky-link" receivers with mostly good results in the past. This system replaced an older shelf top unit that I was using due to the excellent response and replaced it with this unit in the exact same system and environment and the response was far less than the replace unit. I have also used the "dinky link" units with also poor results unless very close to the receiver, which is not typical for many of my installations. They have released a poor, not fully tested design that cannot be used in my installations going forward. I have found some of the older #291-10 units to purchase to replace this unit or the similar "dinky-link" receivers, which will hopefully result in a consistent response from my customers that use IR remote systems. Major disappointment. XANTECH 29110DBKit Designer Hidden Link Infrared Kit (Black)

I purchased the Xantech kit from Smarthome through Amazon. Delivery was timely with no problems.



The Xantech IR equipment replaces an IR extender I bought from Radio Shack that has very limited capability. After failing to adapt the Radio Shack equipment to my specific requirements, I threw in the towel and bought the Xantech. The Xantech extender is a flexible SYSTEM that can be expanded if necessary to handle new equipment or special situations such as plasma TVs.



Construction quality is first rate. The kit is well documented, and installation is intuitive and quite easy. The IR receiver and connecting block are small and unobtrusive.



I am controlling 4 different components including a Rotel receiver, a Denon DVD/SACD player, an Apple TV, and an "el cheapo" Insignia HD radio tuner. Everything works with the device specific remotes as well as a Logitech Harmony remote programmed to control all of this equipment. The Rotel and Denon are controlled using monaural cables to the IR in jacks rather than using the IR emitters. For the Insignia tuner and Apple TV I'm using the paste on IR emitters.



The only problem I've encountered is with a SIIG power center that can activate switched outlets with either Infrared signals or a hard wired connection to an IR extender. The wired connection does not work, but the paste on IR emitter works fine with the SIIG.



If you are considering an IR extender, do yourself a favor and spend a little extra money for a proven product. In the long run, you will save a lot of time and avoid a lot of frustration. - Ir Kit - Ir Emitter - Remote-control Extenders - Ir Repeater'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information