Friday 21 January 2011

Remote Control Extender


This is, without a doubt, the best remote control extender I've ever used. I have used three before this one. I have the X-10 Powermid in my bedroom and bought this one for my basement. I have a 50 inch plasma in my basement and I didn't want to put my cable box right underneath it or buy a media cabinet. I think it defeats the whole purpose of putting a plasma on the wall. I read the reviews on this RCE and figured I'd try another brand. I was very happy to see that the positive reviews were right on the money. I hooked it up in about 5 minutes. It was simple. My cable box is now located in the closet behind the TV. This RCE puts the transmitter inside the remote control. You replace one of your batteries with their battery shaped transmitter. The transmitter could care less in which direction you aim the remote control. This is so much better than the X-10 and others that require you to point your remote control at a receiver. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't and I'm always wondering if my remote control batteries are dead. This RCE works every time. I'm going to get another one for my bedroom.



Bottom Line: Finally a remote control extender that works! I love this product. Next Generation Remote Control Extender

Pros:



I primarily intended to use this with a Harmony 768 universal remote (4xAAA) and, once I figured out the idiosyncrasies, it has worked great & how I'd hoped; from anywhere in my apartment on more than a dozen components that make up my complex system, and with just as quick and reliable a response as with the direct original remotes. I don't even need to extend the telescoping antenna on the receiver (RF-receiver/IR-relay), and just lay it horizontally flat against the "saucer", which is placed in an inconspicuous location with nearby line-of-sight to my IR components.



Although I don't need the "eye extender" cable (since I have no components hidden in cabinets or out of line-of-sight for the receiver), I did test it. I was surprised how well it worked even from several feet from component IR sensors, regardless of its directional orientation. I imagine that the optional "triple-eye" accessory, selectively oriented in a cabinet rather than attached directly to individual sensors, could probably emit enough IR to control quite a bit more than 3 components & maybe as many as a dozen? Even an optimally placed single-eye could possibly supplement the receiver if there were several components in the same location but out of direct line-of-sight from the receiver.



Cons and idiosyncrasies:



It comes in plastic "bubble"-container packaging. Fortunately, the package edges can be peeled apart without requiring a "machete" or damaging the product, but it still can't be fully resealed. Of course this style packaging makes it unlikely you'd be able to return it if it didn't work out for you, which is a major reason manufacturers use these insidious packages.



It can be a bit quirky, depending on the remote with which it's used. I tested it with close to 20 original remotes as well as several universal remotes, AAA & AA battery usage. Most worked just fine, but I experienced the following issues:



- Harmony 768, universal remote (4xAAA); sensitive to which battery location for the transmitter (lower 2 battery chambers, farthest from 768's IR emitters, seem to work best); on occasion it suddenly stopped working until I spun the transmitter a bit inside the battery chamber - whether this was due to poor contact or an orientation issue, I don't know.



- HTM MX-500, universal remote (4xAAA); no response from the receiver, & with transmitter/battery in slot "1" the remote doesn't even "turn on" (ie, can't be used with this universal remote.)



- Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U, D-VHS (2xAA); no response on the receiver or otherwise when used with the original remote *OR* with the Harmony 768 sending HS-HD2000U commands (ie, won't control this component - A/B/C settings on the receiver made no difference.)



Other:



- be sure to observe the feedback LED on the receiver. If it responds to your remote, you're likely good to go. (I first tested this with the Harmony 768, and until I determined its idiosyncrasies, had *no* response. I can see how someone could quickly conclude this doesn't work.)



- some components don't respond as well (or even at all for one of my components) when both the remote's IR and the receiver's IR is beamed to the component at the same time. When I'm in a line-of-sight location with the remote, I have much better response when I point the remote away or cover its IR, restricting it to sending RF to the receiver. When I'm *not* in a line-of-sight location with the remote, it makes no difference where I point it, as I'd expect with RF transmission.



- The receiver's IR beam strength & coverage seems typical to other IR remotes. If you're using receiver line-of-sight rather than via directly attached "eye(s)", it may take a bit of trial and error to find the best convenient receiver placement location and direction to operate all your system components.



- the receiver's power adaptor *may* have to be plugged to a different outlet to avoid interference from other components plugged to a power strip.



- The aspect ratio of the Amazon product-image is width-stretched (actual "saucer" seems smaller than perceived from the Amazon image); you'll see the proper proportion in images at the NGHP web-site.



- I primarily use NiMH rechargeable batteries on my remotes, but wherever I ran into issues I also tried using standard alkalines. Battery type never made any difference in my testing results and all had full charges.



- check the NGHP web-site FAQs, where it recommends such things as charging the batteries 24-36 hours before using the 1st time (which I did for these test results.) You *may* find that the mini-battery charges somewhat faster when it's in its dedicated charge slot than when in the charge slot for the combined mini-battery/transmitter.



- mini-battery charge seems to be lasting similar to the "normal" rechargeables, so far, but I've only had this for a few weeks. It's still going on the 1st charge and quite a bit of usage.



- Yes, the instructions were written by someone whose 1st language is likely not English, but they're still quite understandable & easy to follow.



- This product is so useful for me that I bought a 2nd as a backup. Both exhibited the same quirks.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information