Tuesday 4 January 2011

Monster Cable - power strip, audio video


I've used Monster surge protectors in the past and had no reason to complain but when put to the test, this one totally failed me. This is your basic surge protector strip, with right angle plug and color-coded plugs for various audio-visual components. But does it give them sufficient protection? Unfortunately it did not for me. I was using it for my Tivo-TV combination and a bad storm one day fried the hard drive in my Tivo. So dock a few stars for it failing to properly protect my device. So now I get to experience this Monster warranty process. Suffice to say, you will be lucky if you get anything out of them, or can fulfill the requirements and 3 pages of information they want you to send them. In my case, I have a Tivo DVD that no one within several hundred miles of me is "authorized" to repair as they require, and they require an inspection of the damaged equipment by such a technician prior to filing a claim. I have to order a replacement part on the internet, which they don't accept and they won't reimburse after the fact. You also have to pay to send the surge protector back to them for inspection as well, so basically you have to spend a significant amount of money to file a claim and may get absolutely nothing out of it. So basically, the warranty in a lot of cases is of little use and not worth the trouble they put you through versus just paying for repairs yourself. So you can dock another star or two for that. So while I like the design of this surge protector, I probably will go looking for another one that will properly protect my equipment at least. Monster Cable MP AV600 Power Protector

On July 7 2007 I received from Amazon the Monster Cable MP AV600 Power Protector and the Belkin SurgeMaster Superior Series 8-Outlet Surge Protector (6', 1770 Joules). They both sold for about the same price. The Monster is vastly inferior. The Belkin has three times the Joules rating. The Belkin is much more attractive and well designed. The Monster is just a squarish standard strip that felt very cheap compared to the Belkin and worst of all the Monster had a bad rubber stink and the cord felt gritty. The Belkin had a smooth white power cord. My other mistake was to get the Belkin with the 6 foot cord , I realized a 12 foot cord was available after ordering. You will be MUCH happier with the Belkin. I will post this exact review with the Belkin as well. Last time I gave something 1 star Amazon did not display it. Maybe the higher end Monster models are nicer.

This item failed after one month of use.



There seem to be two breakers in this item:



The first one is tied to the "reset" button. This circuit is closest to the shared socket side.



The second one is tied to the "on/off switch". This circuit is closest to the wall side.



The on/off switch is still lit up.



However, none of the devices are getting power. The Reset button is useless and does not work.



This item will be returned.

During a recent blizzard (Michigan) a large electrical problem blew out 4 substations and a large number of transformers resulting a wide spread 12 hour+ power outage. The resultant surge toasted out my dishwasher and track lights. However, the Monster AV600 saved my expensive home theater setup, although the AV600 got toasted also. IT DID IT'S JOB and I give it the highest recommendation possible. Great product at a low price. Thanks Monster!!

Liked the color-coding on this power protector which made it easy to unplug exactly what i wanted without guessing which outlet it was connected to. Died after a year of use, all of a sudden burned out with an awful smell. There was no power fluctuation, we were just watching tv and all of a sudden everything turned off.

I really liked the design of this product - from the color coded outlets to the unit's plug which was elegantly turned at an angle. But 14 months after I purchased it it stopped working. The light on the unit comes on, but it just stopped putting out power. I would definitely not recommend.

Well, I should have looked at the reviews closer. Lasted maybe 3 months. Maybe. I am disgusted with this product and this company. Never again, please save your money and do not purchase Monster Power anything.

I had this about a year and mysteriously nothing plugged into it worked. Thought I had blown a breaker. Finally figured out this thing just suddenly stopped working... no reset.. no on/off.. just stopped working. Seems to be a lot of this happening with this strip. Now I have to spend more money on a good one.

I usually do not write reviews but this product is so bad I felt I had too. I bought 2; one failed within 3 months and the other in 4. You should spend a bit more and buy a better product that lasts. Thanks!

I recently purchased an LCD TV, and I wanted a decent surge protector for it. I discovered this one from Monster and it seemed like a reasonably affordable quality surge protector, so I purchased it.



The unit feels like it is of good quality, from the outlets to the body to the power cable. I have used other cheaper surge protectors, and this one feels more sturdy and durable. The right-angle plug is nice, since the cord doesn't stick straight out, allowing me to put the TV stand closer to the wall. Some labels were included with the surge protector, but I am not using them.



If you are looking for a simple quality surge protector that is not too expensive, I would recommend this. I normally consider Monster brand products to be somewhat overpriced, but this was a fairly good value for the price. - Monster Cable - Power Strip - Audio Video - Monster'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information