Saturday 11 December 2010

Monitor Extension Cables - computer cables, video games


I needed to split the output of one computer so I could feed a monitor and a projector. The projector has a run of 25 feet so just splitting the cable with a Y splitter wouldn't work. It would degrade the signal too much.



This powered splitter works great. It's a very solid little unit and very nicely built. The image on the monitor and the projector look great. I highly recommend this for driving two displays from one VGA card.



Note: This is the 2 port splitter. The 4 port one is shown in the picture. Cables To Go 29550 2-Port UXGA Monitor Splitter/Extender (Male Input)

We needed to split a trainer's display between a monitor and a projector, which would need a long run to reach the unit, and upon reading other reviews, comments, and specs, I decided upon this unit. It arrived, solid and stout, and it has worked beautifully. The unit has a heft to it, which helps keep it in place despite the heavy cables that attach to it, and the signal looks beautiful. Be sure to order the right cables.

I bought this for a bar owner for a Karaoke Moniter set up. However, we needed to split the line 3 ways to 2 LCDs and one projector. In the past I used a Cables to Go y splitter that worked well but the image would lost light. Well this spitter split the image at virtually no image loss whatsoever. At least my eye couldn't tell. one LCD was 38 feet away. I'm thinking about buying one for my self!

I called Cables-To-Go and confirmed that this is the exact same unit as the Cables To Go 29503 TruLink 2-Port UXGA Monitor Splitter/Extender (Female Input) Black, except that this 29550 unit has one male connector so you cannot just use standard monitor cables. You would need an gender changing adapter or a special cable to use this one.



Buy the 29503 instead (Cables To Go 29503 TruLink 2-Port UXGA Monitor Splitter/Extender (Female Input) Black), which has all female connectors, so you can use standard cables. I own the 29503, which performs wonderfully, and is truly plug and play.



See my review for the 29503. http://www.amazon.com/review/RNQ5E3GK9T3BM/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

I wanted to split the VGA signal from our laptop to our plasma TV and a small LCD computer monitor in another room. Like others, I wasted a little money trying a standard VGA splitter 'Y' cable first. This might work if you wanted to split a VGA signal between two small monitors. In our case the monitor got perfect signal but the TV picture was ghosted and horrible. I knew we needed a powered VGA splitter, so I was glad I had bookmarked the Cables To Go 29550.



This was a snap to set up and worked immediately to feed both our TV and monitor. The only small snafu I encountered was that I couldn't get our 42" TV and 17" computer monitor to play nicely together in resolution requirements. To get the best picture on our tv, the laptop's display settings for the "external monitor" need to be 1280 x 768. I guess because the laptop sees the splitter as a single device, if the TV and monitor don't share native resolutions then one or the other will suffer. I futzed around with the laptop's display settings trying to find a happy medium, before I settled on feeding the TV the proper resolution since we watch that more. The monitor's picture is beautiful, just slightly elongated.



Anyway, I THINK that's what's going on...If anyone has another suggestion I'd love to hear it.



Our setup:



XP laptop --> Cables to Go 29550 powered VGA splitter -->



1) HD15 SVGA Monitor Extension Cable, Male to Female with Ferrite Bead 1 ft --> Component video (YPbPr) / VGA To HDMI Converter With Auto Up-scale --> 42" plasma TV



2) RiteAV - SVGA Monitor Cable with 3.5mm Audio - 10 ft. --> RiteAV - VGA Coupler / Gender Changer Female-Female --> 17" lcd computer monitor



Sure, it's a lot of work to figure it out and cable it up, and we can't watch all our favorite shows immediately. But we enjoy being pioneers in DIY internet tv, especially since it's saving us $70/month in satellite fees!

Works as advertised. We have a whole bunch at our school, and we leave them turned On and forget about them. Haven't had one fail in the last three-plus years. Again as stated in an earlier review - the Input connection is a Male VGA, so use a VGA cable that has Male and Female connectors (like an "extension" cable). Or get a Female/Female gender-changer adapter (like a B000BSLSJI). - Computer Cables - Video Games - Monitor Extension Cables - Dual Monitor Cable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information