Saturday 11 December 2010

Lich King - warcraft, wow


I have been playing World of Warcraft since a month after it came out. Not quite consistently, as I've taken a couple of 6 or so month breaks in that duration, but I've been there through all the changes. Having started playing the game again 2 years ago when Burning Crusade came out and being pretty disappointed, I have to say that restarting the game again this time with Lich King has been a much better experience. At first, I only got the expansion because all of my friends and all the old folks from my guild were getting back together. So I figured that even though I wasn't really looking forward to getting into the game again, at least I'd have the fun social aspect of it. But I'm having more fun playing the game with this expansion than I have had since the game started and everything was new.



So does that mean that the game has totally changed and we're playing a whole new WoW? Not exactly. It seems that this is the expectation that a lot of people are having. I'm reading a lot of negative reviews saying that this is more of the same. Well, unfortunately for them, it is. It's the same game, just more of it. There are still plenty of obnoxious people with bad manners and even worse skills in English, still plenty of quests that involve killing mobs and gathering items, still an opposing faction that kills you while you're questing (for me there is anyways) and so on. But in my opinion, the new content in Northrend has much more depth, much more detail and is just plain more fun than anything I experienced with the Burning Crusade Expansion. It really seems that Blizzard took their time in making the quests much more unique and varied as well as many other aspects of the content.



A lot of people jump on WoW to plow through the quests and instances and get to level 80 as soon as possible. Why? There probably won't be another expansion for 2 years, so what's the rush? That's my feeling about that anyways. I find that when I play the game more sparsely, I'm able to appreciate the time that was put into it and also prevent myself from getting burned out. I pay attention to a lot of things in games that other may not care about at all, such as environment and music. The new zones in Northrend look really cool (at least by the standard that WoW looks considering the graphics are outdated in general, but with an MMO that's not really a problem for me.) With the first zone in Northrend, Borean Tundra, I was just impressed by the scope of the place: four flight points, 130 quests, NPC ships raiding NPC towns, undead crawling out of the earth, gnome planes flying all over the place... It was all a little overwhelming. And I didn't find that much annoying repetition as I did the quests there, despite the fact that there are twice as many quests in that zone as there are in the first zone of Outlands. In fact, some of the quests were pretty innovative. And the environment for the second zone I went to, Howling Fjord, was simply amazing to me. The boat ride into the huge cove with the towering canyons, waterfalls, all around was unlike any WoW environment I had seen. Continually as I go into each zone, everything about Northrend just seems bigger and more grand than anywhere else.



Another thing that's impressed me with the expansion is the music. Most of the up-tempo quasi Lord of the Rings style score has been replaced with more mellow and melodic fare. From the first boat ride into Northrend you'll hear a somber but really amazing fiddle tune and much of the music in the many zones matches that tone. It's sometimes a little odd to be in the midst of slaughtering enemies to the sounds of fiddle and pipes in the background, but somehow it all works. A lot of the music throughout the rest of the world has been changed and enhanced for the better as well.



These things aside, everything else about the game seems to be enjoyable. PVP is one of my favorite WoW pass times and there's no shortage of that here. Admittedly, the Wintergrasp PVP zone isn't quite as huge and amazing as I'd hoped, but it's still fun, as is the new battleground. The instances are more attuned for my liking, since I rarely get a time to play video games for more than an hour or two at a time. The new smaller, more easily accessible dungeons are much more fun and like a lot of the quest lines, they're actually pretty fun and unique.



So perhaps it was the fact that I bought it with low expectations, or maybe it's just because Blizzard really put out a good product, but I really like Wrath of the Lich King. If you're looking for the childish and a**hole players to disappear, looking for less questing to do, less... Warcraft, then you're looking for another game. This is still World of Warcraft, but now it's as good or better than it ever was. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Expansion Pack

For the most part, this is by far the best incarnation of WoW yet. Northrend is joy to quest in since it looks nice, has excellent lore (at least for the alliance) that involves you like never before, and a new class that is really fun to play. However, after awhile the novelty of all this new stuff wears off and you're left with the end game content to keep you playing. As someone who can't raid, I was really looking forward to getting to run the new heroics and things. However, Blizzard's new philosophy on the "difficulty scaling" of the game has pretty much completely changed the way end game content runs. After less than a month of playing, my friends and I were tearing through the heroics like nothing. Its hard to get psyched for new gear when you can already dominate in what you have. Heroics in TBC were basically hard as heck raids for 5 people, and I miss that. Heroics aren't the only casualty to the new system: I've never seen so many people with the best gear in the game before just running around. My friends that do raid have nothing left to do, and are now just epicly gearing out all their alts. That situation will be fixed with patches, but it stinks to have to just wait for everything. This is basically the first time playing the game I (and my friends) were left with nothing to do except level alts. I can't really comment on the pvp state of the game since that's not my thing (bg's are the most frustrating thing ever... especially on Alliance).



In summary, exploring the new world for the first time is fun, but that's about it. If you can't raid and aren't obsessed with pvp, find an alt you love or be prepared for boredom. - Blizzard - Warcraft - Wow - Lich King'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information