Tuesday 21 December 2010

2009 Amazon Frustration-fre - cyberpower ups, cyberpower


I live in a rural area on the top of a mountain. Electrical Service, unfortunately, is frequently interupted, usually for a few seconds only. But when it is, it can happen at very inconvenient times. Additionally, power surges, while not frequent, do happen, particularly during electrical storms. This means that my electronic equipment needs to be protected. I have 2 desktop computers in my home, both in constant use and both need a 24 hour internet connection.



I use a total of 3 Cyberpower UPS devices, along with additional Surge Protecters to protect my computers and other electronic appliances (including Televisions, DVRs, etc.). While neighbors have experienced major problems, the only problem I have experienced is a blown Surge Protecter (which obviously did it's job).



The model UPS shown has surge protection of (I believe)a bit over 1000 joules. This should usually be enough, but I use additional protection (rated 4200 joules) because of the location of my home. For most of you, the protection offered by this UPS will be sufficient. Cyberpower CP825LCD UPS - 825VA/450W LCD Display 8-Outlet RJ11/ Compact Design EMI/RFI

Totally satisfied with this, it replaced an older surge protector that was not a battery backup, so that is a plus.

A few days after I had it installed, the power to my house went out, and this worked great, it went on instantly and then when the power came back on, the UPS went back to normal. I purchased the 825Va, 450Watts, even though I only use less then 200 watts total, so that the battery would last a bit longer when the power goes off. This gives me over half an hour of back up power. It also protects my ethernet connection, and doesn't seem to make a defference in reception of my internet. I like the mode button on the front, I can push it and it tells me instantly what my watt usage is. For instance, right now, I am using 122 watts. This is for my computer, monitor, Uniden telephone, and my external hard drive (which is not on right now). These are all on the UPS side, which is the battery side.

Overall, I am pleased with it. I am thinking of purchasing a smaller one for my wireless phone in the kitchen.

I have only had this unit a short time and it has behaved as specified during three or more power failures. The setup is easy. My objective was to shut down a desktop computer within a few minutes and then continue to power a DSL modem and router that would be used by a laptop.

I chose this unit because:

- Capacity is pretty good

- Price is very competitive

- USB interface allows safe shutdown of attached PC

- Very cool LCD panel showing power load and minutes of charge remaining!



Note that 4 outlets have battery backup as well as surge protection, and 4 outlets provide surge protection only.



I have the following system hooked to the UPS on battery-backed outlets:

- Intel Core i7 920 CPU

- ATI Radeon HD 5770

- 25.5" ASUS LCD Monitor

- 19" Acer Monitor

- Wireless Router



The highest load number I could get (while playing a game) was 340 W. As I type this, I see about 235 W load.



This battery can keep the entire system running for probably 10-12 minutes. The wireless router by itself can be powered for about 70 minutes.



The bundled software is adequate. I highly recommend connecting your PC to the UPS via the supplied USB cable and configuring the CyberPower PowerPanel to shut down your PC in as little as one minute after power goes out.

The Cyberpower CP825LCD features an LCD status display as well as 825 VA protection the 8 outlets can mean that one doesn't have to append a plug strip or cheap surge-protector to handle one's personal computing needs. This is a rugged, dependable system that does everything I want. On my Mac there was essentially no setup. Simply bring up the UPS tab of the Energy Saver preference panel and the unit is discovered. I highly recommend this unit.

I am very pleased with the Cyberpower backup. Item is exactly as advertised. Simple to use. To test it, I unplugged the unit from the wall 3 times and the battery took over each time. I have no way to test the surge protection of course, nor would I want to.

The UPS was easy to unpack and setup. I did a quick battery test and everything worked as expected. It has been in use for over a week now without any incidents.



I'm also very happy with the spacing between outlets. Some of the "tower" UPS devices waste outlets due to different size transformers.

I had this item for couple weeks now and yesderday we had power down for 7 min. It worked great! Computer and wireless router worked great!It also has USB feed, when power is gone it beeps after every 5 seconds or so.Digital display light stayes on for 35 secons.Its great item for good value.Very compact and takes very little room. - Ups - Cyberpower Ups - Cyberpower - Battery Backup'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information