Saturday 13 November 2010

Whole Grain Baking


We all know about the benefits of Olive Oil so to see it applied to baking intrigued me. After trying many recipes I have to say that the author, Ms.Sheldon, has hit a home run. My family can't decide on a favorite yet. I have ordered SIX more copies to be sent out as Christmas gifts. I am grateful for this well thoughtout book.

Olive Oil Cake



I'm a huge fan of olive oil--just the smell of it when I open a bottle brings a smile to my face. I use it almost soley when I cook--it reminds me of my Italian grandmother's kitchen when I was a child. When this book was given to me as a gift I was little cynical because I know how healthy and good-tasting olive oil is for savory dishes, but with baking? I wasn't so sure. I gave it a try--the pumpkin cookies are a particular favorite. They're very moist and tasty. And you don't taste the olive oil--but you benefit from the nutrition! I can't wait to try more recipes. I also find the tips and information interesting.

It is our good fortune to have a friend who wrote her own cookbook and gave us lots of delicious things to taste. And now that the book is out, it's EVERYONE'S good fortune! Happily, the delicious things that have been coming out of Lisa's kitchen ever since we've known her now come out of OUR kitchen too, thanks to this book. Pancakes, pumpkin muffins -- everything we've tried has been excellent. We brought a double-batch of the apple muffins to our 2-year-old son's playgroup and they certainly passed the toddler test: The kids ate every single one! This book is our standard holiday gift this year.

Lisa Sheldon is a baking genius, bringing novelty and nourishment to the dessert plate. My 11-year-old son, partial to gingerbread from a boxed mix, thinks this gingerbread is the best ever! It improved on day 2, so it's a great make-ahead recipe. Substituting white whole wheat flour for the called-for whole wheat pastry flour works well.



"Olive Oil Baking" is a welcome addition to our well-stocked kitchen bookshelves. I'll be giving this book as a gift to several people, and Best-Ever Cinnamon Rolls will definitely be part of our holidays! What a winner.

So far every recipe I have made from this book has been great. Even my 8 year old says they are delicious. So far nothing has turned out oily or mushy. I got this book to help my family cut some of the saturated fats out of our lives.

I like baking. Maybe not every day. But enough to be potentially unhealthy! A low cholesterol kick looked like it could be the end of all that. But then I discovered this book. This truly fantastic, delicious book. OK, so it doesn't have any pictures. That's right - none. I know - bit of a shock! But once you're over that, you have a book packed full of delicious, healthy recipes (and some not quite so angelic) that work really well. How about the chocolate fudge brownies made mainly of courgettes (that's zucchini to some) and olive oil? You would never know -they taste properly indulgent! Love this book. And no, I won't lend it to you. Buy your own - I can't live without it!

I have tried and LOVED at least 3 cookie recipes, a chocolate zucchini bread, and an apple crisp from this book. I have yet to try a recipe that doesn't work out. I would recommend this book to anyone, whether they were trying to eat healthfully, or not. In the end what is important is that the food tastes good, and that's exactly what you get from the recipes in this book.

We just purchased this so I haven't used it much. We've made the modified "Nestle Toll House" chocolate chip cookie and the granola bars. Both items were delish and it was good knowing that they were somewhat healthier than traditional recipes. The one thing which I think is missing is nutritional information on the recipes. There are many people concerned with fat grams, calories, fiber, sodium content, etc..

I am surprised that the author does not provide nutritional analysis for the recipes. Ms. Sheldon probably could have easily provided some nutritional breakdown given that she is pursuing a master's in clinical nutrition. What happened? I would be very interested in knowing some elementary nutritional information without having to input the recipe into a program for basic anlaysis. Other reviews indicate the recipes yield good results so I am looking forward to trying some.

I was looking foreward to this, but learned why people don't use olive oil so much in baking: the cakes taste greasy. Another problem is the cake recipes are for 9" x 13" which is too large for a small family or couple.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information