Saturday 27 November 2010

Usb 3 0 - hubs, usb hub


I have this hub plugged into a Gigabyte x58 MB with 2 USB3 ports, the device worked ok the first boot but never again. I attached a usb3 Buffalo 1T drive to it.

The drive showed up ok the first time but after a reboot it would not show up, I had to unplug it and plug it in for Windows to see it. Half of the time I'd plug the drive in it would use USB 2 and not 3.0. So I got another 4 port usb 3 only hub and it's works great. I do have the latest MB bios and the latest USB 3 drivers.

Would I buy this again? NO

Would I recommend this? NO SuperSpeed USB 3.0 7-Port Hub

Unlike the previous reviewer I understood fully it was a 4 port USB 2.0 hub and 3port USB 3.0 hub. However, it does not work, initially it say USB 3.0 Hard drives but copying to it would result in errors. Then it stopped seeing the drive. However it would see it in the USB 2.0 port. As of today it does not see in any of the ports. i bought a 4 port USB 3.0 hu from same manufacturer and that seems to work perfectly. BTW all my USB devices including the controller card are from this manufacturer. Very sorry that I bought two of these.

Running Vista x64 Ultimate w/ SP2 on HP DV7 laptop.



I've experienced the same issue as others. Worked first time out of box, but killed all access to my dvd drive. Rebooted (per instructions). After that, device was dead. The lights on the device, which were on until I rebooted, never came back on. Even after powering off and back on, device was dead thereafter. Fortunately, my dvd drive was fine after the reboot.



The manufacturer's support forum has had this issue on it since almost immediately after the device came out. They've done nothing about the problem but continue to sell the device. Unusually poor showing for SIIG, which usually puts out good products.



Wait to buy until SIIG has figured out the problem and *FIXED* it.

I chose this hub because it has 7 ports and is small in size. I am aware of the fact that only 3 ports are USB 3.0. Most of my other devices, like wireless mouse and key board are not USB 3.0 so I can still fully utilize the USB 2.0 ports. I hook this hub to a USB 3.0 PCI Express host adopter on my desk top Dell PC. The USB 3.0 device I have hook up to this hub is a external hard drive. I have had my setup running for a few days and during this time I have turn my computer off and on several times and have experience no problem.

Overall so far, I Like its slim size design and I also like its suede like finish.

Installation is very easy. Just connect it to any USB 3.0 or 2.0 port and it works. Also no driver is needed. Just connect it into any USB port and it is detected right away.

I would recommend this to my friend.

SuperSpeed USB 3.0 7-Port Hub

This product is advertised as a SEVEN port Superspeed (USB 3.0) Hub. It is NOT. It really is a three port USB 3.0 Hub that has an added four ports of USB 2.0 functionality. Incidentally, on the unit I received, *NONE* of the USB 2.0 port worked and *NONE* (including the three working 3.0 ports) were able to accommodate ANY USB 2.0 devices. Seven ports? No way!



Incidentally, the USB 3.0 specification calls for backward compatibility with earlier devices and cables and I cannot tell if this is a design shortcoming with all units or just a faulty device that I received.



I am not accustomed having to read the fine print on Amazon, in order to get an understanding of what I am buying. In the fine print, it does indeed say this device is a 4 port USB 2.0 with 3 ports of USB 3.0, but the product HEADING says "SuperSpeed USB 3.0 7-Port Hub by SIIG". Sorry, Joe, it just ain't so. The old warning "Caveat Emptor" certainly applies here.



Oh, and thanks to Amazon's great return policy, my unit is heading back!

Purchased to support USB3 external drives on a windows 7, Intel i7 chipset. Caused the system to crash on boot unless removed. Didn't really work at USB3 speeds either. Now I see SIIG wants me to run a firmware update on it. Stay away until it works.

Unreliable and flaky. Seems to have been rushed out with little proper development and testing.

Described as a USB3 7-port hub but only THREE ports actually support USB3; serious problems with power to the ports.

Oh and there's a suspicious, scripted feel to all the five start reviews.............

I purchased this device to work hand-in-hand with my PCI USB 3.0 Adapter. I needed a few more USB 3.0 Ports. I plugged it in to my USB 3.0 PCI Card and it works great. I have a PCI 3.0 USB adapter by a different company. Any PCI 3.0 adapter will work with this device. - Siig - Hubs - Usb Hub'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


siig Usb 3 0 - hubs, usb hub