Monday 1 November 2010

Fantastic Four - fantastic four, avengers


Although at first glance, with it's little plastic box and cartoon-ey looks, you might think this trivia book is a kids' game, let me assure you it IS NOT. The "Ages 8 and Up" suggestion is true, but I know very few 8 year olds that will have the smarts to answer 75% of these questions. This book is designed by a man who probably knows more about the Marvel Universe than Stan Lee himself! Peter Sanderson has also put together The Marvel Vault The Marvel Vault: A Museum-in-a-Book with Rare Collectibles from the World of Marvel, and contributed expensively to The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe for Marvel Comics! The questions (and there are 2500 of them) range from the simple ("Who is James Howlett?") to the obscure and answerable only to a true collector ("How was Dormammu finally defeated in 'The End at Last' in Strange Tales #146 (1966)?" The bast part about this book is that it doesn't forget that both kids and adults love comic books, and that "Ages 8 and Up" doesn't mean "Ages 8 to 12". The little box that allows you to play by yourself or against another person is a little cheesy, but admittedly a fun element to the book. But (big problem here) it's the only answer code, so don't run out of battery juice mid-game, and hope it never breaks because there's no written answer code in the back of the book to refer to. Doh! Despite this somewhat short-sighted failing on the part of the publisher, this book / game is a great addition to any Marvel Comic book enthusiast's collection. Excelsior! Obsessed With Marvel

I am a huge Marvel fan and was very excited about getting this book. It has alot of really great questions that cover the whole span of the Marvel Universe/History.



My major complaint is with the electronic quiz device on the book. Within my first 5 minutes of using the book, I found a question that the device is giving the wrong answer for. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I went to Marvel's website and confirmed that I was right. They really should have included a printed answer guide in the book, to fall back on. I find it hard to trust the device at all now when it tells me that I answered incorrectly.



So, it's a good book if your a Marvel fan but, not great.

My 9-year-old son got this for his birthday, and he loves it! He will sit for hours, going through what seems like endless amounts of trivia. As a superhero fanatic, he loves to not only answer the questions correctly, but find out little tidbits that he didn't know before.

Since he inherited his geek gene from me, I also like to go through the book from time to time, and I find myself enjoying it in the same ways that my son does. And, like others have mentioned, I often find myself reminded of old storylines that I haven't thought of in years. It's a fun activity to do to pass some time.

One drawback: One of the earlier reviewers said that he discovered an error for one of the computer-given answers, and the same thing happened to my son and me. HE was actually the one who caught the mistake. He asked me about it, and I agreed that the computer was giving the wrong answer. But there isn't any way to confirm any of the answers in the book, other than relying on what the computer tells you. So that is a negative in regards to this book.

But if you can overlook the occasional error and just enjoy the book as a (mostly correct) journey through Marvel fandom, I'd still recommend this title for young and old.

Easy to use and filled with lots of interesting trivia. Reminds me of stories I haven't read in 20 years. The computer has several different settings: 1 or 2 players, random questions or in order. Some of the questions are "who wrote issue #231 of title X?" which are frustrating and the random number calling actually repeats itself too much, but still a great game. - Incredible Hulk - Avengers - Fantastic Four - X-men'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Fantastic Four - fantastic four, avengers avengers Fantastic Four - fantastic four, avengers