Sunday 26 September 2010

Interior Decorating - architecture, interiors


I just received this book as a gift, and I can't stop drooling over it. With so many of my favorite home design magazines gone, I've been hungry for some design inspiration. I didn't know that much about Alexa Hampton before I got the book, and assumed (I guess because of her famous father) that her designs and sensibilities would be way out of reach. But her book is so beautiful, and the text is so informative, I have been completely delighted! I particularly love the tone of the book. She shares a lot of her own story with the reader, which makes this book as much fun to READ as it is to look at. The book is filled with plenty of aspirational homes and photos, but they're presented in a way that helps you see how you can apply it to your own life. I was also pleased to find many interiors that I would love to copy completely! I would recommend this book to any home design lover out there, and was very happy to get it as a gift. Alexa Hampton: The Language of Interior Design

This is one of those books you receive and will keep it for your entire life. It is full of amazing interior photography, beautifully laid out and presented. I keep returning to the book and seeing details in the photo's I didn't see before. I actually sit with a strong magnifying glass and soak up every detail of the pictures and absorb the detail, pretending I am there in the room. A visually stunning book and well written too. It must run in the family, daughter like father.



I think more of the interior pictures need to be included when going" inside" to see what the book has to offer it would make purchasing the book a fore gone conclusion.



I thoroughly enjoyed the book and learnt a great deal from it. It has pride and place next to my beside table where I escape into it each night and devour every detail of the books photographs and written content that I can.



I would recommend this book any day of the week.

I keep going back to the book to see if what displeases me is that this is not what I expected. But no....it is boring, the work seems mediocre compared to her father's work....the homes pictured here are either "flat" and predictable, or over the top and almost tacky......it's like the people who own them are "noveaux rich"....even the art work that hangs on the walls looks "just bought". There seems to be no imagination in the work presented here, and definitely no sense of age and breeding attached to the interiors.....come on...put in some weathered pieces in those designs!!! Give them some pedrigree! The author comes across more as a good supervisor of craftsmen than a creative interior designer.

Language of Interior Design offers arts and interior design collections a fine, oversize presentation surveying Alexa Hampton's aesthetic development and vision. She grew up with a design legend father and at age thirteen worked at his firm, which she now owns and operates. Her creations blend modern design with new interpretations of classics, and make for a fine coffee-table-sized survey illustrating her design process in interiors. Homeowners will find these inspirational.

I've recently purchased the book and I love it. The chosen interiors are varied, exciting and elegant. The writing is a nice, and new, approach for looking at design. I've given it to a few friends already and the feedback so far has only been positive!

I love the aspirational nature of design books and enjoy looking at the photos and getting new ideas for my home. What I especially loved about this book was I was surprised to find that I liked the writing as much as the photos - and that's unusual for a big, gorgeous home design book. Usually in books like this, it feels like the writing is an afterthought and in this one I got the sense that Alexa really wanted to share her know-how, expertise and experience in such a way that we could almost feel like we were being counseled by her directly, one-to-one. She and her collaborator Jill Simpson did a great job of presenting a TON of information in clear, accessible, engaging text.



So five stars for gorgeous photos, beautiful and interesting interiors, and wonderful descriptions, historical notes, ideas and recommendations.

Alexa Hampton now runs the company made famous by her late father, Mark Hampton. Her designs are classic, beautiful, amazing and probably out of financial reach for most people. That said, there are wonderful ideas that those of us without her training and background (and talent) can incorporate into our homes. She explains the what and why of design and the photos are gorgeous.

Alexa Hampton's book is simply gorgeous and full of interesting observations that she has made over the course of her career. The book is very well laid out and is beautifully written. She is clearly all-around talented. This would make a great gift for anyone interested in interior design. - Architecture - Decorating - Interiors - Interior Decorating'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Interior Decorating - architecture, interiors decorating Interior Decorating - architecture, interiors