Thursday 1 July 2010

Thickness Planer


I purchased this planer because mechanically, it is the same as a Grizzly model I had for five years with good success. Amazon had this Rockwell model for the same price as a new Grizzly, and shipping was free from amazon vs. almost $50 from Grizzly.



The planer arrived with the box almost completely destroyed. Upon initial inspection, everything was ok. As I assembled the stand though, I found that parts were missing. Amazon was less than helpfull when I called to inquire on the missing parts. I was told to send it back (not feasable without packaging), or buy the parts out of my pocket from the manufacturer and recieve reimbursement from Amazon. Basically, it was now my problem. Thanks.



So, I called Rockwell, and discovered they are generally unfamiliar with the products they sell. I was told by the rep that Rockwell is only a distributor, not a manufacturer, so who knows who made this tool, Rockwell is only a name. Rockwell did agree to send the missing parts, but after more than a month, they still have not arrived, and based on the cluelessness of the rep, I'll be amazed if the right pieces actually arrive.



After using the planer, I have also discovered that the infeed and outfeed rollers are warped, creating waves in the finished boards. I'll be more inclined to try to remedy this by my own means, after the stand problems.



If I had another chance, I would pony up a couple hundred more for the Makita Planer, and purchase it locally. I'm not satisfied with any part of this purchase, and will be hesitant to buy any more tools from Amazon- major fail.



UPDATE: Finally, fed up with poor performance and still missing parts, I wrote Amazon, received return authorization, and returned this unit. The return took about 10 days from the time I wrote until I had my refund. Amazon is off the hook, thank you for backing up the product you sold, but I still wouldn't recomend buying this unit because of below average quality, poor packaging, and poor customer service by Rockwell. Rockwell RK9010 12-1/2-Inch Thickness Planer

Nice Planer for the money, my old one died and i tried this one would have give 5 stars but the instructions was very poorly done and you do have to put it together but works real well have done 500 BF of mixed hardwood with it and leaves nice finish'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Thickness Planer Thickness Planer Thickness Planer