Thursday 1 July 2010

120hz


I did a lot of research before deciding on this Samsung. I paired it with Google TV (using Logitech Revue), and NOW everything works like a charm, but neither the three salesmen I spoke with at Best Buy, nor the installers from Best Buy, nor any of the previous reviews I read informed me that you can't access the Internet with this TV UNLESS you also buy the Samsung LAN Adapter. Not a big deal (it's about $80), but that would have been nice to know before I spent several hours wondering why my Internet-accessible TV was not accessing the Internet. Samsung LN40D550 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Black)

I purchased this TV for an elderly family member who's 2 year old 42" Dynex took a dump.



The Samsung is much more aesthetically pleasing and the picture quality is definitely more crisp and clear than her old Dynex.



The TV is extremely easy to set up...all you need is a #2 philips screwdriver and maybe an additional person to lift the TV and place it on the base.



For 2011, Samsung redesigned the remote control and the buttons are much easier to use (compared to the 2010 models). The remote is extremely long and odd shaped, but it fits comfortably in my hand.



Menu options are plentiful which makes the customization process a breeze. Samsung's definitely have the most options from what I have seen.



All in all, this is a nice TV and should be more than sufficient for what it is being used for.

I have purchased this TV for $629 at Wallmart, so I did not have high expectation, though I did chose Samsung, because I generally like their displays.



I am really impressed by the quality of this product. Everything is great. There are lots of options to tweak, the colors are amazing, the sound is very, very good for this quite thin TV, there are lots of input (4 hdmi, 2 USB, 2 components, etc...), have nice energy saving options, and even 480i looks much nicer than on other LCDs I have tested. I honestly did not expect this for $629.



The only possible issues are:

1) The black becomes dark blue if viewed from the angle. This is common problem for LCDs, and I think that as LCD TV goes, it is very minor effect (it is very even dark blue background, noticeable when you view TV at around 30 degree of axis), but some other TVs (like plasma or projection TVs) do not have it by design.

2) While piano black design is very nice to look at, if you have source of light behind you, you will see some reflection from the edge of the screen, which may be a bit destructing. True, though, if you watch TV, you should not have sources of light behind you anyway, still, this may be a small factor on your choice of the TV.

3) This is 60Hz model, so, for fast moving images this is not the best TV (consider 120Hz ones, but it costs $$)



That's it! The negatives did not cost a star, so 5 stars for TV this price.

The rest are all positives! Samsung really does it quite well with this TV.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


120hz 120hz 120hz