Thursday 20 May 2010

Ergonomic Keyboard - keyboard, ergonomic keyboard


Yuck, this mouse is just not good enough.



Pros:

-Five buttons

-Right handed



Cons:



-It's super-light. It must be as light as they could possibly make it. I imagine that it will hold together, but there is a real lack of inertia. It feels like a balloon when you pick it up.

-The click sounds are a little louder than my other mice... but the real problem is that the clicks ring hollow and at a lower pitch. It's a little annoying and seems cheap. My other mice have sounded like tapping on a piece of glass with a fingernail. This is somewhere between that and tapping on wood.

-The back button is nice and long so anyone can reach it... but the forward button is far forwards and I have to reposition my palm to reach it. Note I have big hands so it can only be worse if yours are smaller.



I think this will be an OK mouse when the price comes down to $15-20. Cosmetically it looks like an update of the excellent IntelliMouse Explorer series... but it feels like a basic Wheel Mouse Optical in the hand. Just not good enough. Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 (S7J-00001)

I liked the look of the mouse design when Microsoft announced it a few months back, and ordered one as soon as it was available. Given the price point I expected a more substantial mouse, but it fell somewhat short of my expectations.



Cons:



- The tactile quality of the mouse feels cheap with a very slippery finish. It's just a basic hard plastic, without a textured finish.



- Clicking is quite loud and it seems harder than most mice to depress the right and left mouse buttons. This is probably due to the basic, stiff hard plastic used. It's not ridiculous, but it seems like a chore to depress the two main buttons.



- The mouse is EXTREMELY light. I think most people would like more weight to their mouse, for a more controlled feel to the movement.



- The glide pads are not nearly slippery enough, and moving the mouse seems sluggish, even considering the light weight of the mouse. They seemed to cheap out on this material as well.



- The center scroll wheel resistance is a little too light for my liking. I also find that depressing the wheel for the scroll wheel 'click' is a bit too easy, and it doesn't depress deeply enough for a good responsive / confirmative feel. I'm an AutoCAD user, so the scroll wheel click for panning inside that program is something I've very picky about. Also, in web browsers and spreadsheets (to name a couple examples), scrolling using the depressed center wheel with mouse movement (for fast scrolling, instead of rotating the scroll wheel for slower, more controlled scrolling) also seems problematic - you can't find a sweet spot; the scrolling is either super slow or lightning fast.



Pros:



- The shape of the mouse is quite nice, if you neglect the tactile feel of the material.



- The side buttons have a good, responsive feel, with the perfect amount of click resistance. However, those people with smaller hands will definitely have problems reaching the 'forward' side button. I'm just over 6 ft. tall with big hands, and my thumb is just barely long enough to hit the forward button without moving my entire hand off the mouse.



- The scroll wheel has no 'side scroll' function, which is an absolute requirement for me. If a scroll wheel has side scroll built in, it makes engaging the scroll wheel click unreliable, which is unacceptable for use in many programs (especially AutoCAD).



Prior to writing the text for this review, I had selected 3 stars. However, stacking up all the pros and cons, I changed my mind and now give it only 2 stars. If you're looking for an all-around great mouse, I'd recommend the Logitech MX 518 - I've been using one for years, and it checks all the right boxes for me. I do like the physical shape of the Comfort Mouse 6000 a bit better than the MX 518 (it seems a bit more ergonomic), but given all the other considerations, I've haven't been able to find a mouse I like better.

Nothing feels as precise as a good wired mouse. And nobody does them better than Microsoft. This one feels awesome in the hand and just does not call attention to itself because it just does what it's supposed to. Great device at a great price. Bravo! - Keyboard - Ergonomic Keyboard - Microsoft - Ergonomic'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Ergonomic Keyboard - keyboard, ergonomic keyboard ergonomic Ergonomic Keyboard - keyboard, ergonomic keyboard