Thursday 1 April 2010

Drill Presses - woodworking, drill presses


the table does not line up with the base, which does not affect the machine workings but does throw the user's eye off. i have yet to find the stops for drilling consistent hole depth. the laser is totally useless and flimsy. the belt adjustment is not easy. there is a grinding noise coming from the spindle. i would say this item is not worth the price asked, but i got mine on the initial offer which had 100 off, maing the price 50...and that is about what it is worth.



i have since writing the above had more time with the machine and like it even less. the motor is not at all powerful; when drilling thru 1/4" steel the press easily gets overloaded and stalls out. this makes for tedious and long drilling times; having to go slow and all to keep the thing from stalling out under this modest load. Hitachi B13F 10-Inch Benchtop Drill Press with Laser

I recently purchased this same tool at Lowes for $139.00. I usually buy from Amazon due to their excellent pricing but I needed the press quickly. Its ok. It lacks power and bogged down and stalled when drilling 1/4" teak with a 4" hole saw. I used it for production drilling of rub rails for my boat and it worked fine for that. It pretty much meets my needs but could be a bit more robust.

I purchased this for our business (light and occasional use in wood). It would not come on after assembly, then I noticed the motor housing was crushed on the bottom pinning the fan. I took off the cover and the cheap plastic fan was in pieces. Called and they would not send me replacement parts but said I had to return the entire unit. Not worth the trouble so I have used it without the fan. The lasers are too bright and makes it harder to see what you are drilling. The table will not stay tight and swings to the sides easily making aligment for precision work difficult. This is a $99 drill press and worth $99.....but no more.

Who would imagine a drill press not lasting a year?



A year later, mine was on the scrap pile. The motor began emitting bad noises and wouldn't run. Before that, I kept encountering a long series of quality disappointments. I had hoped for more from Hitachi.



For almost exactly the same $129 I paid for this one, I bought a replacement from Harbor Freight which has held up way better.



Also, having an MT2 chuck mount gives you a lot more choices than the JT33 found in lower end drill presses. The HF has an MT2. This press, a JT33.

I bought this a few months ago. Unfortunately, the chuck has become loose. Which means that now even under the slightest of loads, I cannot get any drilling done. Replacement is about $40. This would made the whole press's worth less than $60.

I'm very well satisfied with this bench top drill press. It went together easily and is well built for a drill press this size. If you're looking for a bench top drill press for ocassional use then you should consider the 10" Hitachi B 13F1 10.



Purchasing this item through Amazon.com gave me a great deal and the transaction couldn't have been any better.

I have a lot of tools and out all the bench drill presses I've either used or owned this is the best for the price and it has very quick change drill speeds.... You won't regret buying this model of Hitachi drill press.

Ten years ago, you could always count on Hitachi to produce a solid, percision, dependable product, but then they moved their factory to China, where there is NO quality control no matter what Hitachi claims. I have learned the hard way from this drill press and one of their compound miter saws (both of which I have now sold in yard sales), and I will never waste money on a Hitachi product again.

I ordered the Drill press via Amazon because of the good price and the free shipping. However, the unit arrived damaged. The Drill including the box weighs over 61 pounds and shipped in the original manufactures package. When the box is not handled correctly, e.g. dropped on the floor, the belt guard cover (which is made out of very thin sheet metal) bends into the head assembly of the drill. During the impact, the heavy weight of the head assembly also deforms the base of the pulley cover. I then returned the first unit to Amazon and they shipped me a second unit as a replacement. Unfortunately the second unit also arrived with the exact same damage. UPS or whoever else was handling the two units did a lousy job by most likely dropping the box or not being careful enough for this type of packaging. I also returned the second unit. I can't say much of the product quality itself but if the way how the package is holding up in transit is any indication I don't expect much. - Power Tools - Drill Presses - Woodworking - Hitachi'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Drill Presses - woodworking, drill presses power tools Drill Presses - woodworking, drill presses