Thursday 1 April 2010

Camera Backpack - lowepro, backpacking


1. There are a few things that I'd like to put out there prior to getting into my overall impressions of the versapack:

a. There is no perfect photo backpack (or camera bag)

b. Since there is no perfect photo backpack, trying to find the one perfect camera bag is a futile exercise.

c. If you accept the above points, then you'll realize that one needs multiple photo bags, based on the gear you need to carry for the particular occasion.



2. With the above being said, the versapack is a very good photo backpack with the following pros / cons:

a. Pro: it's made by lowepro--> ie very good construction and it's comfortable. Furthermore, unlike the other similar products (ex: that sling type bag or... quick type backpack; sorry I forgot the official names), this pack has a waistbelt (very important in my book) and a sterum strap (also very important to have)... AND, it has a fairly decent tripod holder. I know most folks don't need the tripod holder, but it may come in handy once in a while.

b. Pro or Neutral Feature: for me, I wanted a pack that would enable me to quickly access my camera and thus this one has the ability to open the side pouch and grab the camera without having to take the entire thing off. Unlike the lowepro fastpack, the versapack can be opened from either the right or left side; ie some folks might have a preference over which should to sling the bag, with this thing, you choose. With the fastpack, you can only do it via the right shoulder. As far as getting your camera out of the slot, it works fairly decently. Anytime you're dealing with this type of system, it's going to take some getting used to. There are always going to be trade offs etc...

c. Pro: Carrying Comfort: Compared to the slingshot (which I've used) and the fastpack (which I've also used), this bag carrys a load much better, especially compared to the slingshot.

d. Pro or Con: the actual photo carrying capacity is limited, but this is to be expected. The overall bag size is perfect; not too big, not too small and it's fairly light. As a result, this bag is for those folks with a smallish DSLR (ie, not for those with a full frame camera or an APS-C DSLR with a batt grip etc...). obviously everything depends on your particular system, but I have an Olympus E620 (ie pretty small DSLR) with 12-60mm (fairly decent sized zoom). This bag will easily hold that camera / lens, + extra smallish zoom, + flash or whatever else.

e. Pro: the extra open compartment above is nice, where you can put extra photo gear if so desired or whatever else.

f. Con: the only or main negative I have with this bag is the how the zipper opens to the main open compartment. I suppose based on the overall atypical design of the bag, they had to do it this way, however because of the design (you just have to check it out in person), opening or closing that zipper is a two handed affair. I just wish that they used a more traditional design, like the rover series. Now why didn't I get the rover? The rover doesn't allow for the rapid access of the camera etc...



3. Anyway, sorry for the longwinded analysis. Bottomline, this is probably the best camera backpack IF you require rapid access of your smallish DSLR AND want the most comfort and stability. Very good job Lowepro. Next time, get the zipper deal right. Lowepro Versapack 200 AW Camera Backpack (Black/Gray)

I am going to begin by stating I am not a very experienced photographer and this is the first serious camera bag I have owned. I once owned a fairly cheap sling bag so that is my only comparison.



I really wanted a backpack for my new DSLR (Canon T1i/500D), kit lens, and 70-300mm IS USM lens. I did not want a sling bag because my old one bothered my shoulder when wearing it for more than 2 hours at a time. The primary use for my camera bag will be for wildlife safaris in addition to light hiking.



I need a backpack that is slightly smaller than normal as I am a 5'1" female with a slight build.



I have not had the chance to use the tripod holder yet.



CONS:



1. Like the previous reviewer stated the upper zipper compartment can only be used two handed instead of single handedly. I would prefer the ability to zip and unzip the compartment with one hand for the sake of ease and time.



2. I like the sternum strap and as long as I have it tightened as much as it can go the straps do not rub too much. I carried my bag around for 8 hours in 90 degree heat last weekend and I had a swollen, sore spot where the backpack strap rubbed against my skin when the sternum strap was not tightened all the way.



3. The backpack is a tiny bit too long for my frame size and it doesn't fit quite right even with strap adjustments. I doubt I will find a bag that is perfect for my frame where I can fit all my personal stuff plus camera equipment so I think this bag was a smart purchase for me.



4. I wish the top "personal" compartment was either a bit smaller (so there would be more room in the bottom compartment) OR the personal (top) compartment was as heavily padded as the bottom section. If it was more heavily padded I could put extra lens in it without worrying about the safety of them.



5. The bottom section when unzipped fully opens but if you don't have the top section fully zipped or if you have pens in the pen holders stuff will fall out of the top. It happened to me multiple times because I was too lazy to take the time to zip the top compartment fully. This "con" is probably just operator error.



6. I wish the memory card pocket was on the inside wall of the bottom section of the bag. I was on a safari last weekend with my bag and in order to switch out cards I had to open the bottom section of the bag fully because the pockets are rather tight. If the memory card pockets were on the inside wall instead of the "ceiling" of the bottom section the swap would be faster and easier.





PROS:



1. With the exception of the bag rubbing my skin on the 8 hour day walking around it was extremely comfortable and never bothered my back or neck. I added about 15 pounds of gifts to the top section and the backpack was still comfortable.



2. I love the accessible pockets for writing utensils, cell phone, and other small items.



3. I had to use the All Weather cover at Victoria Falls and it worked extremely well. I do not rely on the AW cover 100% but for the times we walked through the mist it worked like a charm.



4. I love the inside mesh pocket in the top compartment; it is perfect for storing my camera manual.



5. If I remove and change the set-up of the bottom compartment I can fit my camera with 70-300mm lens attached in the bottom section which is the lens I use 90% of the time.



6. The backpack by itself is fairly lightweight and feels comfortable to wear.



7. In a pinch I can use this as a laptop bag by removing the section that divides the bag into top and bottom halves. The top half is not padded but if you're careful a laptop would be safe. Our laptop measures about 16.5" diagonal.



I realize there is no existing "perfect" bag. I do not expect a perfect bag. I will possibly look to invest in another bag for the long safaris I plan on going on but for everyday use and 5 day or less trips I love this bag.



If I can figure out how I will post pictures with my review to make some of my cons more understandable. - Versapak - Camera Bag - Backpacking - Lowepro'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Camera Backpack - lowepro, backpacking backpacking Camera Backpack - lowepro, backpacking