Thursday 18 March 2010

Rockwell Sonicrafter - multimaster, rockwell sonicrafter


OMG, the Rockewell SoniCrafter is great. I was looking for a corded oscillating tool and looked at the Fein Multitasker and blades, but it is just way too expensive to purchase for my needs. So I bought the Dremel and the Rockwell to compare side by side...



The $100 Dremel is lighter and a bit smaller but the buzz the motor makes compared to the Rockwell motor [a little bit heavier and slightly bigger] which humms smoothly is like comparing a Vespa scooter to a Victory street bike.



Since the basic Rockwell is only $20 more than the Dremel and the extra blades are about the same price, there was no question about going for the quality/durability of a Rockwell.



The only convenience problem that I can foresee is getting replacement blades:

Dremel is carried by big box hardware stores; hobbyists who do crafts on the spur of the moment and do not need to rip open walls, will appreciate the around-the-corner convenience.

Rockwell is carried by speciality woodworking stores or the internet; the Home Proj. kind of guys have to plan ahead before ripping into a wall for remodeling. So ordering parts in advance should be a no brainer.



I also really liked the Rockwell case, it is created with niches and screw-downs to hold lots of blades/attachments in place.



I looked at the Bosch 12v battery operated version, and that would have been a good choice but I do not want to have numerous 18v tool systems and chargers for the various power hand tools that I use. I read that the Bosch delivers 20 min of battery power and I might need more time than that between charges.



All four tools mentioned above have variable speeds pretty much the same: 10,000 - 21,000 opm. The Bosch details that I read boasted of 5,000 - 20,000 opm, but I do not know if I need to go that slow. If I did I would have researched more into the rare Praxon version of oscillating tool, which is reportedly underpowered and equivalent to size and weight of the Dremel. Rockwell RK5101K SoniCrafter 37-Piece Oscillating Tool Kit

I debated whether I should just splurge and by a multimaster or save some cash and go with the sonicrafter. After reading all the reviews for both products and watching demos on U tube I chose the sonicrafter. So far I have put it to work on some serious DIY projects and it has done the job. Its great for sheetrock cutting. It did a good job of cutting out the hole for a pocket door hardware in an solid alder door. It cuts sheet metal and slices through nails fine too.



I have not had a problem with blades loosening or the tool getting real hot like in other reviews. If you go slow and let the tool do the work it works fine. It's not a Sawsall, use it for the finer work. Its not real speedy at cutting harder woods and if your blade is dull it will burn in woods like oak and maple.



I suggest stocking up on blades because I have only found them online. Just like a sawsall blade, they dont last very long, save your dull blades for cutting sheet rock and keep your sharp blades for wood cutting.



As a serious DIY guy I am happy with the sonicrafter and glad I saved the money over buying the fein MM tool.

I debated a couple of years about purchasing a tool like this. At first, Fein was the only option and just for home use it was too much money for me to justify purchasing. Now that there are reasonably priced choices, I purchased this 37 piece Rockwell kit. Honestly, I felt like it was a gamble. Many reviews say the blades don't last and they come loose all the time. I rolled the dice. I WON!!!



This is a solid tool. I love working with tools and I own a lot of professional quality tools. I put this in the same class as my Bosch, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Rigid, and Makita tools.



For $208 I got this kit and a diamond segment saw, a carbide triangle saw, and a blade cleaner. The tool and add on accessories cost less than half as much as those from Fein.



I immediately went to work taking out thinset from an old tile job, probably 1/4 inch trowelled. I had tried hammer and chisel and hated that. I bought an angle grinder which worked but threw dust everywhere. That lasted about one minute before I had to quit because of the dust. Then I threw a rug over it. That was a couple of years ago.



This Sonicrafter with the diamond segment saw is the right tool for the job. It is powerful enough. I used it for an hour, it did not overheat or bog down. The blade shows no signs of wear. The blade never came loose. It did not throw dust everywhere. After an hour my hand was tired. Operating this tool feels very much like operating a random orbital sander. The gentle vibration over time is fatiguing.



Get a variable speed model; the least expensive kit is not variable speed. The harder the material you work on, the higher the speed needs to be set. According to the manufacturer, it is running the tool on too low a speed that causes overheating and excessive blade wear.



Be careful when you mount the blade. Blades mount like a twelve point socket fits on a nut; but these blades and mount are thin like a hacksaw blade. Make sure the blade is seated on the nut before you tighten the mounting screw. If the blade is mounted correctly, it will not work loose. I have used three different types of blades and have never had a blade work loose. Just get it on there right to begin with.



I am more than satisfied with my choice of Sonicrafter over Multimaster. I used some of the money I saved to buy myself a new Stetson hat.

i am a contractor ive used the fein multimaster for years was looking for a less expensive replacement i bought the dremel it was junk brought it back. i bought this and used it just like the fein it was the same but cost one third the price. i would highly recommend this for someone who uses it often. - Multimaster - Oscillating Saw - Rockwell Sonicrafter - Flush Cut'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Rockwell Sonicrafter - multimaster, rockwell sonicrafter flush cut Rockwell Sonicrafter - multimaster, rockwell sonicrafter