Thursday 18 March 2010

Microsoft Intellimouse - mouse, 5 button mouse


like the title says, this mouse is a great value, sitting between the intellimouse explorer and intellimouse wheel. it fits my hand perfectly too, as it is not as big at the explorer. fuctionwise, the tracking is unparalleled--the new intellieye scanning at 6,000 times per second makes the mouse virtually skip-free, unlike older optical mice. the 5 fully programmable buttons are awesome too. the inteiipoint software allows you to assign different functions to different buttons, in different programs! i even have a button that saves my document in microsoft word! it's really a brilliant invention.my only gripe about this mouse is its weight. it is on the light side, and i hear the hollow cluck every time i pick it up when i'm playing a game. i've grown used to it by now, but it took a couple of weeks.in short, i believe this is the perfect mouse for me. its optical eye works great, the buttons are ingenious, and the low price at amazon.com (...) make this mouse the best bang for your buck! Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Mouse

I've tried all kinds of mice--corded and wireless; optical and ball; Logitech and Microsoft; high-end, low-end, and in-the-middle.First, optical mice are the way to go. There's enough said about that, and the "ball" mouse will eventually go the way of the floppy drive. I've tried a few wireless mice by Microsoft, but they fall way short of their promises. You have to plug in a transmitter to the USB port to send the signal to the mouse, and this transmitter is the size of the mouse itself--you end up with twice the volume! Worse, I find I have to keep the mouse within two feet of the transmitter, meaning I have to keep two "mouse-sized" things on my desk. Also, with wireless mice, responsiveness decreases as the batteries die--I have to hold down the right-click button relatively long to click, which is a pain.I also like the scroll wheel on this mouse--it provides a nice tactile "click" for every increment; some of the Microsoft wireless mice don't have a click, which makes it difficult to scroll down just one "click."There is also at least one "known issue" with this mouse--sometimes the mouse will freeze for no reason. After a few weeks of rebooting my computer to get the mouse working again, I finally found the solution--stop using the mouse with the USB connection, and use the little green adapter that came with it instead.I also just bought a relatively inexpensive Logitech optical mouse, and while it works fine, it doesn't have the solid feel of this mouse.So, although this one is corded, it works great, has a nice feel, and is my current favorite among all the mice I keep around me (after the fix I mentioned above).

I got this mouse as a gift and loved it as soon as I started using it. It definitely provides skip-free performance, has a great feel to it, hasthe scroll wheel, and my new favorite thing - those programmable buttons!At first I wasn't used to those programmable buttons and I'd accidentally press them getting unwanted results (like going back to theprevious web-page when pressing the left button, or going forward when pressing the right). But then I got so used to it and realized how helpful it was - so much so that I got another one for my work because I kept trying to press those buttons that didn't exist on my mouse at work!There's definitely no going back to a mechanical mouse in this day and age after so many optical mouses (or is it mice!) are available.But if you haven't used a mouse with programmable buttons before, I'm telling you - give it a try and you won't ever want to go back toone that doesn't have them! And for the price, this one's a great bargain.

I purchased a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical to replace the Apple Pro Mouse on my PowerMac G4. As much as I liked the Pro Mouse's aesthetics, it was beginning to annoy me in use. The biggest problem I had was it's slow tracking - especially for an optical mouse. If moved at all quickly across the mouse pad, it would loose it's bearings and throw the cursor back to the opposite side of the screen. Very annoying. This is not a problem with the IntelliMouse Optical. It'll track fast as you can move it! Of course, the programmable buttons and scroll wheel are the icing on the cake. The included software installed without a problem (I'm currently running MacOS 9.1), and the mouse was easily configured. Being left handed I appreciated the fact that, unike the Intellimouse Explorer, it can be used with either hand. Along with the button positioning, it's size and weight feel just right. Also, the cord is very long compared to the, some say too-short one connecting the Pro Mouse (not problem for me though).For the price (including rebate) and it's nice operating features, this purchase was a no-brainer.One minor negative, and it has nothing to do with the product itself. Product registration must be done via Microsoft Passport. Recently, in the press there have been some security concerns mentioned about this 'service'. No thanks, Bill.Update: Microsoft has now released a MacOS X driver for the Intellimouse.

I love this mouse!



As a Final Cut Pro editor and Filmmaker, I am always looking to increase the efficiency of anything I edit



The Intellimouse makes for a terrific workflow! Here's a list of pros -



1. BUTTONS



Too many mouses today have unusable buttons or too small buttons ---- the intellimouse has 5 great buttons, all placed for usability, none that are touched accidently, and all very useful



I have found no better mouse, that better integrates the right-click and standard-click together more comfortably and ergonomically than this mouse



Most of all, the scrollwheel is a HUGE savior! It scrolls up and down through all windows in Final Cut Pro and Avid --- it really makes editing a cinch!



2. ERGONOMICS



As mentioned above, the ergo's on this thing are great! A very comfortable fit into my hand and easy to click back and forth



3. RESPONSIVE



One reason I have not used Bluetooth mice with FCP is because the connection isn't solid enough --- the Intellmouse NEVER lags, and the optical bottom makes sure that your mouse is always responsive and quick



4. PRICE



I have used the same Intellimouse for 4 years now ---- I have gone through every Apple Mouse, and many LogiTechs, among others ---- the Intellimouse has withstood the TEST of each one --- and for $20, this mouse is a BARGAIN



CONS -



Very few cons --- the software it comes with is very good, as it always you to configure the mouse, and its buttons, to perform various functions within certain applications --- however, the software is restrictive, in that, you cannot enter specific command actions for each app, and are limited to what the Intellimouse offers upon its menu



CONCLUSION -



As mentioned above - I have tried every Apple Mouse (including the Mighty Mouse) and many LogiTech Bluetooth ones



The Intellimouse has withstood each of their challenges



If you are looking for wireless connections though and a solid mouse overall, then go with the LogiTech Bluetooth mouse



If you are an editor though, either on FCP or AVID, then look no further



And btw --- right clicking on all major Apple apps (FCP, DVDSP, Motion) is terrific! Do not attempt running these programs without this feature



HAPPY EDITING!!!!! - Intellimouse - 5 Button Mouse - Microsoft Intellimouse - Mouse'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Microsoft Intellimouse - mouse, 5 button mouse intellimouse Microsoft Intellimouse - mouse, 5 button mouse