Monday 11 January 2010

Kindle Devices - core, exercise


Like another reviewer, I cringed when I heard the latest book in the "New Rules" series was "for Abs."



However, this book is not just about getting "abs." In fact, you could trade out the word "abs" for mobility, performance, injury prevention, core, or back.



I bought this book because:



1. I trust Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove to rely on solid scientific research and admit their own biases or limitations.



2. The other "New Rules" books completely changed my approach to fitness, and the proof is in my increased strength, improved body composition, better mobility, and more restful sleep because I no longer over-train like a maniac. Plus, I eat many more calories and never gained an inch. Cosgrove & Schuler helped me realize I was undereating (common among female fitness buffs).



3. I suffer from some painful injuries from the bad old days when I over-trained, as well as from imbalances that I still need to work on. Yes, I have tried physical therapy, but I know I need a new approach to my workouts as well.



4. My husband also wanted the book. He struggled for years to achieve muscle gains, but only when we purchased and followed the original "New Rules" programs did he see real results.



5. Lou Schuler is funny.



The cover also promises that "New Rules for Abs" is a "myth-busting fitness plan for men and women who want a strong core and a pain-free back." Folks, this is not some cheesy book about getting a "six pack." This is a fitness plan that takes the long-term view, keeping your back and joints healthy for the long haul.



I love the dynamic warmups, as well as the tweaks to tried-and-true exercises. I also appreciate the "core challenge" notes alongside every exercise. They not only help explain the fitness philosophy behind the exercises, but they also help me visualize the movements more clearly so I can get more out of them. The pictures are excellent, too.



The workout phases look as challenging as ever -- if not harder than previous "New Rules" because of the additional core challenges. They are not just for "abs." Rather, they work the entire body.



Women: Do NOT hesitate to buy this book or any of the books in the "New Rules" series. Trust me. You will not get "bulky." You do not have the testosterone to make that happen. Hit the weights heavy and hard, and you WILL gain strength and confidence. You WILL get a tighter, leaner physique. And with this latest "New Rules" book, you will also protect your back and increase your mobility for all your other activities, even cardio.



Lou Schuler & Alwyn Cosgrove: If you are reading this, I want to thank you. You have no idea how much your books have changed my life. I am forever grateful to have stumbled upon the first "New Rules," and I can hardly wait to get started with this latest edition.



Edited to add: The book mentions Valslides for dynamic stabilization exercises. Instead of spending ~$40 on the "Valslides," get these: Waxman 4704095N 9-1/2-Inch by 5-3/4-Inch Reusable Oval EZ Sliders, White. You will only pay $12.95 (as of 1/12/2011) for four, and they work the same.



I want to add that I have gone through the A & B workouts in Phase 1. I thoroughly enjoy them, and more importantly, I am gaining insights into my imbalances (which are deeply ingrained since I was born breech with damage to my hips, and hence, have had hip issues my entire life. The hip issues have had a domino effect--setting off a host of issues with my knees and back, all of which were irritated further by my training methods in the past). Since starting Phase 1, I feel my left hip & glute engaging more than it ever has. Now, I am not claiming some miraculous recovery here. It is subtle, but a leap forward all the same. For the first time in awhile, I feel a spring in my step. Some of the core movements were not new to me per se, but they have subtle tweaks or more sets than I am used to. I also have really enjoyed the warm-ups, even though I look like a dork doing them.



Finally, some have critiqued the lack of nutrition information. I can see how that is an issue for some readers, but for me it was not. I am quite familiar with manipulating macros and calories. That is why I did not address it in my initial review.



UPDATE: I am now working in Phase 2, and I'm thrilled with my progress on mobility, form, and strength. As I mentioned previously, I have suffered from lifelong, serious issues with hip mobility. The dynamic warm-up movements in the New Rules of Lifting for Abs have helped me tremendously. It was not until I practiced & practiced with the "squat to stand" movement that I *finally* changed my movement patterns for a squat. I could never lower myself far into a squat before, in part because of hip mobility and in part because I just did not understand how to make it a hip movement (that might not make sense to those without mobility issues, but it will make sense to fellow breech babies out there, I suspect). To make matters worse, I lacked the necessary core strength, even though I had included core work for years. I *thought* had core strength, but I was wrong about that.



Now, I can finally execute a squat! Hooray! And my squats continue to improve and deepen. And wow, I love the offset squats with the uneven dumbbell load. OK, that last one is really a love-hate thing. :)



Likewise, I have struggled for a long time to increase my weights on certain exercises, always hitting a plateau where I would suffer injuries or just not be able to increase. I think this was due to form issues, core weaknesses/imbalances and mobility problems. I am increasing weights regularly again, and that feels great.



Most importantly, I just feel more "mobile" in general. I walk more gracefully, stand taller, and suffer less pain. I can jaunt across the street if I need to without wrecking my knees for the day.



It's really funny how I will be doing something, and suddenly, I will realize I am moving differently before ... and I can correlate that new pattern to something in the warm-ups or workouts in this book. The movement suddenly "clicks," and I see even greater improvements. The New Rules of Lifting for Abs: A Myth-Busting Fitness Plan for Men and Women Who Want a Strong Core and a Pain-Free Back - Health - Abs - Exercise - Core'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Kindle Devices - core, exercise exercise Kindle Devices - core, exercise