Thursday 14 January 2010

Home Improvement - compound miter saw, home improvement


While I am not new to power tools (I am an avid DIY'r, and HVAC tech). This was my first purchase of a powered compound miter saw. I had no problems with the manual that came with it, besides who really reads those? The unit for the most part is self explanitory. I had it mounted to my bench downstairs in about 20 mins, plus 15 mins to go to the hardware store for some lag bolts. Operation and adjustments were easy. Cuts like a dream. The only thing i can say bad about it, isnt really bad. I would have liked to be able to cut 8" baseboard with it but it doesnt have the capacity. I should have done more research prior. But for all my other uses, crown moulding, quarter-round, trimming out a window, I had fun and they look great. I would recomend this saw for those who arent looking to spend an arm and a leg. Plus as an added bonus, it's super light for mobility. Hitachi C10FCH2 10-Inch Miter Saw with Laser

I got this saw a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier, I only gave it 4 stars because I haven't had it long enough to wring it out the way I usually do. I especially like its light weight, around 30lbs. I have limited space in my shop so I can store it in corner somewhere and when I need it I just stick it on my workbench and clamp it down with a couple of C-clamps. I was especially impressed by the smoothness for such a light saw. When I first got it I was expecting a lot of vibration but that was not the case. Laser, blade, mitre and bevel are right on. It really wants to have the extension tables though, I didn't get them with this saw but expect I will add them later. Hold down clamp is a little awkward but usable, I will likely change that with some sort of cam lock later.

Some reviewers had trouble with the instruction manual but I thought they were fine. Considering that more and more stuff is made elsewhere and the poor snooks writing instruction manuals are likely not writting in their native language, you kinda need to read through syntax and sentence structure errors to grasp the concepts. Throw in a few typo errors from the printer and it is easy for some to write off the manuals as worthless.

All in all, I think Hitachi is a highly underrated product. This is the first I have owned but I have borrowed and rented other products and they are definatley a products that deserve serious consideration. They are generally lower priced and you can find some real bargains in the remanufactured market.

This is a follow-up - I did find one thing I wasn't to happy about. I was making some picture frames and found that the laser isn't that helpful on mitre cuts. I have it adjusted to where the left side of the blade hits the mark for 90 degree crosscuts but on a 45 will be off nearly a 1/4". I haven't determined yet if it is just my saw or whether it is inherent to the design. I have found no adjustment for paralax. May end up installing an aftermarket spindle mounted laser.

Normally I'm a dewalt loyalist, but to be honest what drew me to the hitachi saw was the folding frame style fence and sub frame/fence on the right side (optional) that extend its flexibility to hold onto longer pieces of wood and provide support over a longe distance. That combined with the clamp system hitachi designed for left or right hand feed lets you setup your workpiece firmly in the fence, turn on the laser, and make the cut with your hands nowhere near the wood becuase it is so well clamped down. I've had miter saws kick off pieces when I square up the end of a feed piece and this system doesnt have that tendency due to the clamps provided (you get a hand tightened t-nut in the base, a 3/8" rod, and then another vertical clamp to that rod that drops down to your workpiece with a 1.5" disc which you can twist down to hold the work in place securely. No hands required during the cut. Avoiding any kickback is a nice feature during operation of the saw.



I make picture frames using an electric brad nailer and this miter saw. There is some truth to the negative review - the bolt to unset the 45 degree detent is torqued down more than need be. I used a dewalt metric impact wrench to loosen that bolt, then found that the table had detents at all the normal angles you would want to cut. Once in the detent, finger tightning was all that was required to keep it in place.



I bought the model with the laser which I found to be exceptionally accurate indicating where the finished edge would be and where the kerf would be. The laser is turned on with a covered on/off switch and can stay on forever since it draws power from the AC line while you are stacking your wood and clamping it down with the built in clamp. I've decided that for future frames I will cut 2 pieces of stock on top of each other to make exact length coppies of the top and side frames.



Considering that a laser compound miter saw would have sold for $500 years ago, the sub 150 price today is a bargain.



One really minor nitpick is that the saw draws 15 amps , which while I have a electrically started vacuum system, the vacuum motor and the tool must both share the same power line. That is impossible with the 15A saw and 12 A vacuum (27A on a 20A outlet) so I have had to operate the vacuum on a separate circuit and manually turn it on prior to cutting, then leave it running the whole time - but an advantage is there is NO DUST when I'm done! I prefer this active vacuum collection to the hitachi "bag" dust catcher since it has so much airflow with 12A it pulls nearly 100% of the dust out of the saw, the fence, table, floor, you name it.



There is some assembly required upon delivery but calibration has been done at the factory. A swing out fence must be put in place by the owner, as would be the dust collector if used. Even using a single piece of stock I was able to transfer a mark and cut them exactly to size. From there assembly went smooth except for an electric staple gun which could not penetrate soft pine. I returned it and plan to purchase a pneumatic stapler instead since I can dial up the force much easier.



As I mentioned, the fence includes a vice which can be swung close to the blade or opposing the blade. The kerf is narrow and the included blade has carbide tipped teeth making exceptionally smooth cuts that are perfectly flat when glued up.



Having the right tool for the job makes a world of difference - in this case it made a simple matter to construct a frame for an artist's canvas. The 3 dollar increase for the laser is well worth the price over the non-laser model. If your wood is marked prior to inserion, the process is simple. Dial up the angle using the detent and bolt just to hand tight. Line up the laser with the cut line noting where the kerf will be, put the clamp in place, then activate the dust management and make the cut(s). I am very pleased overall with the value and quality in this power tool. - Woodworking - Miter Saw - Home Improvement - Compound Miter Saw'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Home Improvement - compound miter saw, home improvement compound miter saw Home Improvement - compound miter saw, home improvement