Thursday 14 January 2010

Basic Wood Carving


I had to buy some chisels quickly for an art class of mine, and when I ordered these, they came in by the end of the week. When I finally started to use them, they worked great! I used them on plaster, and they carve through it beautifully. They are easy to handle and have good curvatures for cutting into the plaster.



A few odd things: The pieces shown and the ones I received varied slightly. I got a hooked chisel in place of one of the straight ones. The hooked one also tore through the bag. Lastly, the metal rings on the handles are somewhat loose, but don't seem to cause a problem.



Overall, though, these work great and I would definitely buy them again. SE 8" - 12 Pc Professional Wood Carving Chisels

Wanting to get a cheap "starter" set of chisels, I figured this set would be fine with how inexpensive they were. Once they arrived, I discovered how wrong I had been. They are EXTREMELY poor quality. The tools were in chipped, poorly made handles, and the steel is horrible. The different shapes weren't evenly ground, most weren't just dull - they weren't even nearly finished. A few weren't even beveled, so they aren't chisels at all! I can see why they are sold online and not in stores - no one would ever buy them at any price if they could see them first.

These are not wood carving chisels as they are unable to carve a single piece of wood without breaking/chipping the tool. Using it for a few seconds on fresh wood even has pieces of metal breaking off from the chisels. I have never seen that happen before ever. It is like a toy set that you can't give to kids because wood chisels that are unable to carve are more dangerous than high quality ones that work.

after buying this product I found myself disappointed. Many of the chisels were not even sharp or had burrs rendering them useless unless sharpened. The case began to fall apart after a few weeks of storing and using. Finally the caps included to cover and protect the tips of the chisels were worthless pieces of plastic that didn't stay on

I have been using these chisels for a month now and they are well worth the money. The gouges work perfectly and i doubt you could buy better. The packege in which they came was not the best and the chisels cut through. It is not really a problem though.

For the money they are excellent. Just the right length and also fit your hand well. Just long enough to put more pressure on the cut. They have good ferils on the chisel and pummel ends. If they had different chisels I would have got them also.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Basic Wood Carving Basic Wood Carving Basic Wood Carving