Friday 29 January 2010

Acoustic Research - 1080i, 1080p


The HDMI cable comparison chart, on this page, clearly states this cable is HDMI 1.4 with Ethernet. That's an untrue statement on both counts. This cable does not meet the 1.4 classification, nor is it capable with Ethernet. This is nothing more than a 1.3 HDMI cable, and if that's what you're looking for, the build quality seems decent enough. It also works no better or worse than any of the other 1.3 cables I have. The 1 star rating is for the false advertising on 2 very significant issues. As such, I feel it's warranted, since most buyers will be purchasing the cable based on inaccurate information. If the description was correct, then I'd probably rate this as a 4 star 1.3 HDMI cable. Ethernet and 1.4 are the only reasons I bought this cable, so I'm disappointed to say the least, though I'll have no problem returning it since the order was fulfilled by Amazon.



If anyone has any questions regarding my statements, I did contact Acoustic Research directly to ensure I was providing the correct information. Here is the response they sent to me:



=====================



Response (Ed) - 04/19/2011 09:41 AM

Dear Robert,



The older model without the 4 prefix in the number is NOT 1.4 compliant but still will pass 3D since it was high speed 10.2 certified. We test it up to 17.8. All previous HDMI cables will pass audio return channel. This cable does NOT pass ethernet and you would need the PR4385 to get the ethernet function. All packaging was changed back in Sept 2010 to comply with the latest HDMI guidelines but there is still some older product out in the market place.



While the refresh rate is a feature of the television, it is dependent on the quality of the signal that the TV receives thru the cable. A poor quality cable might cause the video to break up, pixilation, etc. because the signal can't keep up with the refresh rate of the TV.



Thank you for using Audiovox.

Ed.

Customer Service



=====================



I hope this information is helpful to anyone in the market for an HDMI cable with Ethernet. This is not for you. Per the rep's response, this model, PR385 is not 1.4 or Ethernet capable. The model you'd need for that is PR4385, which I did not find on Amazon, though I only browsed quickly. Acoustic Research PRO3 Series PR385 HDMI Cable (6 feet)

This cable works very well with my new Panasonic 3D Blue Ray and VT-25 3D TV. It appears to be of quality construction. The cable itself is heavier than most I have seen and used. The ouside casing material is not vinyl like most cables, instead it is a heavy cord-like material. We'll see how that holds up. Can't beat the lifetime guarrantee, and Amazon's price was right.

Don't be fooled by good marketing. This cable will NOT provide any better picture or sound quality. HDMI is a digital signal, the cable either transfers it or it doesn't. Knowing this I still made the purchase and rated it 4 stars. I bought this cable solely for the build quality, and it delivers. It feels solid and looks gorgeous. I wouldn't have spent more than $15 for it though. A $10 HDMI cable will work just as well as a $500 cable.

I ordered this cable in hopes it would eliminate some (or all) of the crosstalk I'm getting on my 3DTV. While the cable certainly works, feels hefty and seems well made, there is no perceptible difference between it and cheaper HDMI cables (such as the AmazonBasics High Speed HDMI Cable (6.5 Feet / 2.0 Meters) - Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return [NEW MODEL] I was using prior). That said, at its current price, you won't feel cheated. But I can't see the practicality of paying even an extra 2 dollars over the price of a cable that, for all intents and purposes, performs every bit as well.

I bought these because AR hardware is generally pretty decent, and I wanted to have a couple spare HDMI cables around. The 6 ft. length is perhaps the most useful unless your hardware is all crammed on the same shelf. It is really hard to beat the price for these name-brand cables. I haven't used them yet, but have examined then pretty carefully. They look well made -- certainly as good as any of the others that I am using, and better than most of them. I don't see much risk to buying these. Delivery was on time; the AR bubble packaging looks capable of providing quite good protection, but the external box was in fine shape anyway.

I bought these cables as a deal of the day, and man I am impressed! There is a future connectivity guarantee that promised to replace your cables if technology exceeds the capability of the cables. Also the quality is the best I have seen compared to Monster cable. It may be better or at least just as good. I am satisfied with this purchase, the quality, and price. Thank you Amazon.

What else can you say? These are high end quality cables and an unbelievable price at Amazon. The guarantee that comes with them doesn't hurt one bit either. I'd take these over the price bloated Monster cables any day.

Statement 1: 240Hz rated cable



Truth- There is no such thing as a 240Hz rated cable or a 120Hz for that matter. All cables carry the signal that is sent from your player (ie cable box, dvd player etc. Only when it reaches your TV does your TV convert the signal to the refresh rate your TV advertises).



Many manufacturers will try to lead you to believe their cable is superior to another. Or suggest that your old cable wont be sufficient for your new TV.



Statement 2- 2160p Resolution



Truth- This would only be necessary if your source signal was capable of outputting this number. We all know the standard today is 1080p.



Gold plated ETC.....



All of these don't distinguish it from any other cable. And you pay 3-4 times more than you actually have to.





MANY MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT HDMI CABLES. Do some reading before you buy. - Acoustic Research - 1080p - Blueproton - 1080i'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Acoustic Research - 1080i, 1080p acoustic research Acoustic Research - 1080i, 1080p