Friday 11 December 2009

Pin Nailer - pin nailer, 23 gauge


I recently purchased the Freeman PP123 23-Gauge Pinner. I was going to spend a whole lot more on a well known brand to see what all the hoopla was about with 23-gauge pinners. Having owned several air nailers from 18-15 gauge by Bostitch, Campbell Hausfeld, Makita, Milwaukee, Black & Decker, Porter Cable, & Senco I would have gladly purchased one from those manufactures that make a 23-gauge pin nailer. The Freeman caught my eye because the price and because of the fact that they advertise a 7 year warranty so I went ahead and purchased the Freeman. The packaging was great and consisted of the pinner fully assembled with air coupler already assembled on to the unit with dust cap. It also came with a bottle of oil, a belt hook, a pair of safety glasses, 3 allen wrenches to maintain the unit, and a very well written owners manual and warranty card. I bought some bostitch 23 gauge pins and they fit fine in the Freeman pinner. I have only used about 30 pins as a trial, but I must say I am very impressed with the Freeman pinner. It is well built and drives the pins well. A few annoyances with the pinner is the safety switch under the trigger in which you must rotate to fire a pin, but once it is out of the way you can shoot as many pins as you like, also if you get a jam you must use an allen wrench and remove 2 screws to remove the nose plate to remove the stuck pins(this has not happened to me yet), also you must set the size pins you use on the magazine, but not too big an issue especially since some pinners twice the price have that feature. One more thing there is not a non marring tip on the Freeman so do not put too much pressure on the stock you are using or it will leave a mark, but if you don't put any pressure it will barely mar the finish(depending on how hard the stock is). I would like to put something on the tip to be able to apply a little pressure, but I am not sure what to put yet. All in all it is a very good pinner for the price and has exceeded my expectations for the price and would recommend it. Freeman PP123 23 Gauge 1-Inch Pinner

This is an inexpensive pinner that does all it needs to do. Well made and strong. Be sure to play on some scrap wood first. I put pins all the way through oak with it. The only negative is that it doesn't come with a case and the company doesn't seem to offer one. Its still a five. I'll live without the case. This is as good or better thna the P-C. Spent the extra money saved on pins.

The pinned works well, at least it did for the first 300 pins or so, then it stopped, air started leaking out of the trigger assembly. It has a 7 year warranty but I only have this one pinned and need it for the furniture I am building. I have been unable to find a source for parts, apparently they are not available, but then again it is only $60 for another one.....maybe that is what I will do......The o rings are what is probably wrong but there is no source for ordering new ones.......Grex or Senco, or even Porter Cable would probably have better customer support.....but it is only $60.00

I've used this pinner for scotia, small detail returns, repairing chips and splits, and even crown moulding. Although some people have complained about the lack of active safety and non-marring tip, these are features that shouldn't be on a micro pinner. While other brands, like Grex, make pinners that shoot up to 2" pins, the chance of deflection with a 23ga pin at that length is pretty high.

This pinner is a practical tool that does everything it advertises...and does it well!



Luke

ProudlyBuilt.com - Tools, Reviews, Tips, Tricks, Websites Tailored for Contractors

Great for the frugal handyman! My husband looked like a kid in a candyshop when I bought this for him. He is now even more pleased after using it several times on all of those larger "honey-do" projects! - 23 Gauge - Pinner - Nail Gun - Pin Nailer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Pin Nailer - pin nailer, 23 gauge nail gun Pin Nailer - pin nailer, 23 gauge