Sunday 25 October 2009

Occupational - safety, ih


I used an earlier edition of this book in graduate school and now used this book in my studies for the CIH exam. Great overview, written in plain language. Some calculation information is also included. Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene, Fifth Edition

As stated by others, this is an excellent reference book/ tool for practicing safety and industrial hygiene professionals. I was fortunate enough to have both authors as instructors for a continuing education course in IH. I also used this book to successfully prepare for, and pass, both the ASP and CSP exams the first time around.

As an industrial hygienist without an undergraduate degree in the field, this book has been so valuable to me that I wish I could send it back in time to myself years ago. From the second I started reading it, I knew it was going to be the kind of book that I was going to go back to over and over, for technical reference.



This book is approachable to the novice IH, but also contains detail suitable for practicing professionals. It covers material with survey breadth and also sufficient depth for clear understanding.



The real value in this book, however, is that it's essentially two products in one: a primer for contact with the current material, and a coverage of the existing state of practice. It has everything I could think should be contained, and more. It's obvious the authors were, in a single word, exhaustive. In a technical field, that's laudable.



Images of particularly difficult to explain apparatus are included, which is very helpful.



Hopefully 6th edition contains a better index and more exhaustive glossary, which would aid in making sense of the topical areas that overlap between each of the chapters, much of which does not make sense to consolidate. Better OSHA notations would also be useful, as the book is written explicitly for American practitioners, or those who follow an analogous standard. Finally, a .pdf version of the book on an attached CD, for text search purposes, would be awesome.



However, none of these suggested improvements significantly detract from the *outstanding* quality and value of this book. If you're considering purchasing this book, be assured that it will improve your practice and professional development. If you're already a Certified Industrial Hygienist, then you're probably already aware of how great this book is.



Thanks to Barbara and Patricia for a real, tangible contribution to our profession.

17 Sep 2011

I used this book for an online class. It is a good book, full of information, which is to be expected having 900+ pages! I started doing some work in industrial hygiene (IH) at work, so this helps me understand the basics as well.



What could be better is the pictures! Many are really OLD school (1960's and 70's). You think after all this time, they could get more up to date ones! More importantly, the QUALITY of some picture could be better. Still this is a good guild for IH and students alike.

The book is very thorough and makes a good field technical manual, but is very hard to read, in the sense that it is a dry, textbook-type, regulation-similar read. I would not read it if I didn't have to and as a desk manual it's not quite as good as just a OSHA guide. So, not bad, okay, read because I have to, but not a choice book.

The book arrived within a week and in the condition described. I needed it for a class and timing was important. It was well packaged/no damage. I appreciated having access to the sender's e-mail from the point of order confirmation and his message to me regarding sending/arrival time. I would order from this seller again.

Reader from MA - Occupational - Ih - Safety'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Occupational - safety, ih ih Occupational - safety, ih