Sunday 25 October 2009

Porter Cable - nailer, framing nailer


This new nailer (the FC350A) is one great tool. Very powerful, a good range of nail sizes, not too heavy, works well even in the lower psi range. Well made, simple to maintain. I chose the clipped head over the full round head because the magazine doesn't stick out quite so far. Which leads me to the caveat. If you search for nails for this gun, you'll see many manufacturers stating compatibility. Also, you'll see sites quoting the gun works with nails strips from 30 to 34 degrees. This is not so! You *must* have nails strips of 34 degrees, except for the shortest length nails. Why? If you go to Home Depot and purchase a box of 3 inch nails, clipped head paper collated, like those from Grip-Rite (who state compatibility with the FC350) you'll notice they are 33 degrees instead of 34. This one degree difference means that longer nails don't get punched by the nailer - the impact head just slides down the nail. Shorter 33deg nails sometimes work because their short length means the head is more in line with the impact head. So really the problem is in trying to obtain 34 degree paper collated nail strips. I've tried everywhere, including all the merchants listed on the PorterCable website. I finally ordered online from www.circlesaw.com who have the right range. It's a great tool, it's just a pain in the $%#$% to get the right nails, at least right now. Maybe it's still early days. Porter-Cable FC350A Clipped Head 2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer

I'm not sure why someone experienced problems with the 33 degree nails from grip-rite at Home Depot. I bought the FC350A nailer from Amazon and bought a box of 3 1/4 inch x .131 hot dipped galvanized nails from Home Depot. The nailer and the nails work great for me! I really love the size of this nailer. Very nice improvement over the older version. The price from Amazon is also very competitive. I am extremely pleased!!!!

Update - After running several hundred Nails through this nailer, I stand by my earlier conclusions. I have not had any problems with the Grip-Rite nails from Home Depot. I plan to try the Paslode 30 degree nails in this nailer. Great Nailer!!!

I built many projects with this nailer including a pool fence, framed decks, framed buildings and framed my basement. I stand by my earier comments. This nailer is superb and the Home Depot nails work fine!

I bought one of these guns back in the beginning of 2004. I have 4 now. It's very well balanced. It drives 3 1/4 nails in lam beams with ease. As long as the preasure is right on the compressor. I like the switch on the trigger for the sequential or bump fire. And then the depth knob on the nose is handy too. I sold off my two Dewalts, two Sencos, and Craftsman framers because I never used them after I got this one. It loads like a Senco from the bottom of slide. Makes for a quick reload. Mine all have cases too which is nice. The only framer I have beside these guns is my Paslode. This gun is the right size with short magazine gets into tight spots. I have only had one problem with one them the drive broke but it was under warranty. If you want a gun that will please and take a beating at good price get this one.

I actually purchased the FC350 nailer first (from a local store). I only used that once, and the next time I was in the store, less than a week later, they had this model being sold in a kit with a compressor. Looking at the new model, I was pretty disappointed that I had just bought the old one because the new model had a lot more features. Fortunately, a super-nice store manager actually took back the old one and sold me the kit. So needless to say I was a happy camper.Anyways, I haven't actually had the opportunity to use this gun much yet, only the old one, but I was impressed with the quality of the old one. The reviews of the old one pretty much speak for themselves - it's a nice gun. In addition to all of the nice features of the old one, this one has:- A trigger that allows you to select sequential or bump-firing (this was included in the "Type 3" FC350)- Tool-free adjustable depth of drive- Tool-free adjustable exhaust- A redesigned inline magazine that makes the nailer much easier to handle (although it does hold fewer nails)- On-tool storage of the removable nose-piece- A lockout that prevents you from firing if you're out of nails (this is really nice)- A more contoured body that's easier to handle- Thanks to the shorter design, it also comes with a smaller carrying caseEven if you have an FC350 that you're happy with, once you see one of these you're going to want to "upgrade".

I have had this nailer for about three months. Used it on everything from decks, fences, and rough framing. Love the ease of switching from sequential to bump firing with the new trigger. The ease of loading is only offset by the fact that it does not hold three sticks of nails. Granted I've been using Paslode brand nails. It just seems like a waste of space when only two sticks fit and you have 2 inches left in the magazine. With all that said it is well worth the money and you can't beat Porter-Cable for quailty. Only upgrade would be for a swivel air fitting(still haven't found one) to keep the hose from wrapping around everything.

I'm a computer nerd with an air compressor & pnumatic power tools. The only thing more dangerous is a father with a camcorder. I know this because I have all the above. I bought this clipped head nailer to finish off the basement, to build an office for myself to give the family more room upstairs. This thing works GREAT! This is so awesome. I put up a new wall in NO TIME, then I started looking for more projects. Standard building code puts studs 16" apart, such restraints are unnecessary when you wield such power as this. Be careful as you may find yourself nailing studs perpindicular just to keep the adrenaline flowing, or worse, tearing out old sheetrock walls to see if they "have enough support". You'll start looking for projects once you have this. I bought this because it was cheaper to buy a $100 air compressor and this $200 gun than pay someone $500 in labor to put a wall up for me [Insert Tim the tool-time Taylor grunt here]. My wife fears that we're going to be living in the next Winchester Mansion and has forbidden me from buying any more nails. No worries though, I'm not even half way through the first box of 2,500. Muhahahahaha! - Porter Cable - Pneumatic - Framing Nailer - Nailer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Porter Cable - nailer, framing nailer porter cable Porter Cable - nailer, framing nailer