Monday 12 October 2009

Headphone Earpads - foam, headphones


I have used all sorts of tips for canalphones. There is no question that foam tips are the superior choice. They fill the entire ear canal and block out all sound, they are very comfortable and durable. I had a pair of E3C's and always used the Shure overpriced foam tips. After they died I bought the Klipsch canalphones and these ComplyTx-100s. This is a very nice product. They are designed far better than the Shure tips. They are less bulky and a better fit to the ear canal. Very comfortable. The wax-blocker thing is a definite plus. I heard people complaining about these getting dirty and/or not lasting. I have had no problems. I am still on my first pair and they seem very durable. Tip: Clean them with hydrogen peroxide - dissolves the ear wax right off and won't damage the tips. Avoid alcohol for cleaning as this will damage them. I would definitely buy these again. Comply Tx-100 Foam Tips (Black) 3-Pair Pack, Medium

I own a pair of Shure headphones, and I don't really think you can go "wrong" with either these or the Shure tips. However, I would definitely purchase these first because:



-They are a little more comfortable in the ear

-They are easier to get a perfect seal with

-The wax-guard is fantastic (think... no more need to clean out the grossness deep inside of your canalphones)

-They will make your headphones sound better (mostly as a result of the previous three reasons)





Now, to answer the questions I myself have had at some point:



-The foam is a little different than the kind Shure uses. It seems to be a little firmer... until it is placed in the ear, where it feels softer and a little more comfortable. It's also slightly more resistant to wax in my experience, and is a quality product that can withstand daily use.



-They aren't tricky to apply. I was worried that the fit on the headphones themselves would be too tight or too loose (the former being annoying and the latter literally making the foams useless). I can only speak for SE Models, but the fit was perfect for me. The build is a tad different, as the foams feature a slightly thinner and flexible core tube... but this doesn't really change the ease of applying them in comparison to the Shures.



-For Shure owners: the "one size" of these roughly equates to the medium Shure size... they are themselves a tiny bit smaller than a medium Shure foam, but it is very close. I will say this... I wore the mediums AND larges for my Shures (mediums preferred), and the smalls wouldn't fit quite right... but these create the best seal by far that I have experienced with any IEM tip. If you are hesitant about the fit, go to the Comply website. They have three different sizes for all of their models.



-For non-Shure/non-foam users: soft foam is generally better than flex tips/silicone/hard foam, but it depends on your ears and your preferences. For most, it is the best blend of comfort and sound quality. The foam (if fitted correctly) is not painful on the ear at all after prolonged use and will not cause headaches. The fit is crucial in getting good sound, just like pretty much any other tip. If the build quality is good (like these), there is little to no change in frequency response in comparison to silicone.



-The sound quality with these is better than with other foams, and this is why- they are designed to give a better fit and keep wax out, allowing earphones to stream more pristine audio as a result. Earphones with these tips will sound more "open" and clear, and even the discerning ear will probably notice a wider soundstage with their current headphones.



-Sound isolation is close to most foams, but a little better (for me) because they seal so well. For users who want premier sound isolation, these will suit your needs very well.



-The 2dB of transmission loss with the wax guard is virtually a non-issue, especially since ear wax within the audio canal is much more detrimental to sound quality than anything else.





Overall, I do not hesitate to give these a five star rating. If you are interested in these or are even on the fence, I would stop reading this review right now, place them in my cart, and checkout. Happy listening!

I bought a pair of Klipsch S4 earphones and unfortunately none of the included ear pieces were comfortable or achieved good isolation of external noise. I ordered the Comply foam tips and I now love my earphones. When I go to the gym or get on a plane, I can't hear a thing except my iPod. The foam tips are very comfortable even after several hours of use. One small con is that they do wear out over time. They come in a three pack and I'm on pair #2 after about 3 months of daily use and periodic cleanings (the foam on the first pair got a little too soft to stay attached to the earphones). I assume this is why they come in a three pack. I'm willing to invest a bit for superior comfort and performance of my earphones.

Doesn't matter what others said how their earbud tips work, they were not in your ear channels. You have to try them for yourself. I am not a fan for those silicon tips. The original Klipsch S4 tips hurt my ears after about an hour of listening, even on low volume radio. These foam tips changed all. When you put them in your ear channels, while them expand, you can clearly tell the noise fade away. Someone complained the fit. These tips are available in different sizes. Amazon's version might be medium. Try the three size pack to see which one is best for you. You can find some retailers on Comply's official website.



I've never seen better foam tips as I do not own any expensive pieces. These are not cheap, but I am willing to pay a couple of bucks for my own comfort. I can lower the volume to about 2/3 of what I used to. Because they shield considerable amount of noise, the sound quality improved significantly as well. I have been using the first pair for about a month. They seem worn out a bit. After the warm soak water treatment, they resumed to the near original state.



Don't wear both of them on street, they may block the traffic noise and that is were you want them for your own safety. - Comply - Headphones - Headphone Earpads - Foam'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Headphone Earpads - foam, headphones headphone earpads Headphone Earpads - foam, headphones