Wednesday 21 October 2009

Coupon Shopping - coupons, grocery


I am a mother of three trying to cope with cutbacks in our family income. I got wind of couponing from some of my friends and after browsing many coupon websites, decided I needed to read some books to learn more as quickly as possible! I read three books: The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half: The Strategic Shopping Method Proven to Slash Food and Drugstore Costs, Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey, & Shop Smart, Save More: Learn The Grocery Game and Save Hundreds of Dollars a Month. Each book was very different, so I thought I'd share my opinions- I hope they can help you!

Let me first say what each book had in common: they all promoted their own coupon websites and they all taught about how to get coupons, organize them and shop with them to save on your grocery bill. The Coupon Mom gave a thorough analysis of couponing, but in my opinion the book's topic was more on frugal budgeting. It spent way too much time stating the obvious and talking to me like I was a five year old.



If you're looking for a basic review of how to grocery shop/a cookbook, this may be for you. The author do cover in depth about how to cook around your new budgeting system: suggests budget breakfasts like 1 cup oatmeal with 8 oz. milk ($0.20), 2 pieces wheat toast ($0.20), 8 oz. orange juice ($0.16). One whole chapter is devoted to saving on each of the following: meat, produce, dairy and treats.



The Best reason to buy this book: It is thorough and orderly. It covers the topic in depth. It also discusses organic products in depth and contains a valuable appendix with companies that mail coupons in response to an E-mail request via their website.



The best reason to pass on this book: It's dull and gives too much information for my taste. I mentioned a chapter devoted to produce, dairy, etc. The dairy chapter contained tips like "making your own yogurt or using nonfat dry milk." Ack! If I needed to do so, I would do it, but I prefer to buy my yogurt, hopefully cheaply with coupons. This book had the broadest approach to grocery shopping in general, which for some, may be appreciated. For a Mom in a hurry like me, I don't necessarily need to read obvious tips like, "don't shop when you're hungry". The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half: The Strategic Shopping Method Proven to Slash Food and Drugstore Costs

My wife bought the book. She didn't find anything really new and has used coupons for years. Her biggest complaint is that the website wants you to sign up with other sites for coupons. Best thing to do is get a disposable email address for the sign-ups. You are selling your contact info for the discounts.



Couponing and the book will work. Number one rule is that you have to do it! The more effort you put into it the bigger the return. How much extra work do you want to do? How valuable is your time?

In the past few months I've read seven books on saving money at the grocery store and have been able to save $20 to $40 on each shopping trip. While each book gave new ideas, "The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills In Half" is probably the most comprehensive.



Stephanie Nelson begins her book by explaining various shopping styles and then makes a convincing case for shopping at wholesale clubs. She then explains how you can save when you buy meats, organic foods, dairy products and beauty products.



While a lot of this book is about clipping coupons, some of the information is more about a back-to-basics approach. Do you really want to wash your own lettuce, repackages bulk meats, make your own tortilla chips, make milk from powdered milk and shred your own cheese? I know I don't but I could be saving even more money if I was willing to give up some convenience foods. I also won't be giving up my Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract for the 16-ounce bottle at Costco. Yes it is cheaper but there is a great difference in flavor. Yes I've done some taste tests with the cheaper vanilla.



So while you read this book you can take all your personal preferences into consideration. Sometimes saving a few pennies just isn't worth the inconvenience. I will say however I use her advice about using baking soda to scrub pots and pans.



Some of the most valuable information in this book is the websites where you can find printable coupons. There is a list of websites in the back of the book. There is also some information on how to use the author's website which I found to be useful.



One of the things I think is amazing is how Stephanie Nelson can remember all the prices of all the foods she is buying. She saves even more money when she finds a price discrepancy.



While this book is helpful I'd encourage you to also buy the following books:



Cut it Out and Start Saving: A Guide to Effectively Using Coupons and Obtaining Money from Unexpected Resources



Better Groceries for Less Cash



Shop Smart, Save More: Learn The Grocery Game and Save Hundreds of Dollars a Month



Greatest Secrets of the Coupon Mom



How to Receive Free Groceries



20 Grocery Store Savings Ideas: Grocery Coupon Savings Tips For Those Grocery Shopping On A Budget



~The Rebecca Review

I am a moderate coupon user, and the book did have new ideas for using coupons that I didn't realize. I like the idea of emailing companies to get free coupons, and the list of companies and the websites that will send coupons is really helpful. I also like the detailed chapters on other ways to save besides using coupons--like what the best deals really are at warehouse clubs and even how to save on organic food. The book was also really easy to read. Well worth the money in my opinion!

I bought this book at the same time I bought "The Krazy Coupon Lady: Pick Another Checkout Lane Honey", KCL was defiantly more clear and spoke to me, The Coupon Mom was not as exciting or as easy to interpret I thought. Its not bad, its just alright, lots of information on grocery shopping in there I didn't believe I absolutely needed, and less info about couponing that I would have liked to learn. - Saving Money - Coupons - Coupon Mom - Grocery'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Coupon Shopping - coupons, grocery grocery Coupon Shopping - coupons, grocery