Friday 11 September 2009

String Trimmers - string trimmers, lithium-ion


I looked at different cordless grass trimmers. I was tired of the gas trimmers that were hard to start and hard to hold. My muscles would quiver an hour after using a gas trimmer. I looked at the green works but found it too expensive. I wanted something simple. When I did receive the Sun Joe that battery was defective but they sent me a new one already charged up through UPS. I guess it had been a manufacturing problem since there was a letter that came with the Sun Joe that there were a handful of defective batteries. All in all so far I'm in love with the thing. It's powerful yet easy to hold. It's a lithium ion battery which means it lasts longer than a ni-cad battery. What's neat is you can use as both an edger and a trimmer and even has wheels to use as the edger. I trimmed both the front and backyard and did the edging and still have plenty of power left over. This one beats the black & decker and has more to offer. I do highly recommend it and see how reliable it will be over time. You no longer have to worry about if you can get it to start. You just press the button and go. I figured I saved over $100 just by getting this one versus the green works and about $23 over the black & decker. I asked and they will be coming out with a cordless blower in the future. This saves hassle and time as well as energy. Sun Joe TRJ600C Trimmer Joe 20-Volt Lithium Ion Cordless String Trimmer/Edger with One Battery and Quick Charger

My first experience with this thing was awful, exactly as described by an earlier reviewer ("natethepa"). I didn't return it immediately because I really liked two things about it:



1. It's featherweight, far lighter than anything I tried at a big store - and I'm comparing with cordless trimmers only. The wheels make edging even easier.



2. The removable battery is tiny, weighs probably less than a pound, takes barely an hour to recharge (1.5 hours for the initial charge), and lasts at least half an hour, maybe more. Many other batteries require an overnight charge, but with this one you can come home from work, plug it in, eat dinner - and you're ready to go.



So I read the instructions again and discovered that the factory doesn't pull the string out of the spool as far as it should be pulled (WHY?????) and that the user must do it before starting. So I did, and the second time around, it didn't snap once, whether I trimmed or edged.



Obviously, this is not a heavy-duty machine, no brush-clearing with it, but it does a passable job for our suburban purposes. Also,



3. you need to press two buttons to start it but only one needs to be held after that, which is a lot better than my other cordless trimmer where three buttons have to be held at all times.



One star off for the terrible instructions written for litigation purposes only (three pages about not taking showers while trimming), while the all-important information about pulling the string out appears at the bottom of page 5.

In short when I first compared the Sun Joe Cordless trimmer to others on the market such as the Infomercial giant "Worx" it had all the features I needed with half the price. I was just skeptical about the quality of the item due to the price difference. Now that I have been using this product for three weeks straight without a hitch and loving it the more I use it I thought it was time to give feedback.



Pros: Flawless trimmer string advance system that has worked 100% of the time for me, plenty of power for completing a small yard off one charge, quick changing conversion from trimmer to edger (not many models off this feature), smell of fresh cut grass not gas fumes, perfect power and handling for trimming around lawn edging and stepping stones, takes standard trimmer line size .065 right from your local hardware store (no need to buy the pre-strung spools from manufacturer), super fast charging time of 1 hour and 20 Volt battery system to boot.



Cons: If you have a larger yard and plan to do a lot of edging you will need to plan for a recharge mid stream. This is ok for me as I use a manual reel mower and by the time I Finnish mowing the back yard the unit has already recharged after using it on the front yard. If you need to go non-stop with a large yard I would purchase a backup spare battery and alternate.



PLEASE take a deep breath and stop before operating this unit when you get it....READ the instructions! Some comments have been made about the instructions not being complete but they are now as I had no problems whatsoever. There have also been comments about defective batteries etc. and I can say I have had no issues with my battery and have gone through more than a dozen recharges and full use. Sun Joe offers a full 2 year warranty and is why i bought this unit to begin with.....that peace of mind for the 2 years was worth me risking the purchase of this unit and very glad I did.



I hope this helps someone else make a decision on this great little unit as I know there is not a very good marketing imitative for this unit by Jun Joe for some reason!

The battery charges really quick, the unit is very light & comfortable and I love it. The supplied cutting string was not heavy enough for what I was doing but I really put it to the test! I had some heavy cutting to do as I just moved into a new home and it was all over-grown: small Oaks & wild overgrowth. Not sure how long the battery lasts under 'normal' use but I beat it up for 45 minutes non-stop. I used a heavier cutting string, that's the only down-fall.

The unit is great. Love having the trimmer and edger, and while it doesn't have the power of a gas unit, it sure beats my previous (and more expensive) black and decker cordles unit! It's easy to assemble and easy to use. I had the same problem other reviewers did with the battery. Customer service was great. I hadn't yet registered it on their site for the warrenty, so the rep did that for me, then explained that they had some units with a bad battery and he apologized and said that I should have a new battery in a couple days...the whole call was done in under 5 minutes. I wish I hadn't had to go through the battey hassle, but they made it as painless as possible and definitely stood by their product. - Snow Joe - Cordless String Trimmer - String Trimmers - Lithium-ion'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


String Trimmers - string trimmers, lithium-ion lithium-ion String Trimmers - string trimmers, lithium-ion