Monday 28 September 2009

Snow Blower - low cost, electric snow thrower


I just cleared 14" of snow off my driveway and used nothing but this machine. It is fabulous. I know the manual says it can handle up to 6" of snow but believe me this thing handled this last snowstorm without any trouble. Granted I only took 1/2 swaths but still it handled it beautifully. It even handled the stuff that got plowed into the end of my driveway from the road. This Snowfox really does shoot the snow at least 25 feet except when you have the chute turned left or right, then it shoots about 5-8' tops.

I would highly recommend this machine for anyone. Yard Machines 31C-040-800 Snow Fox 12.5-Inch 8.5 Amp Electric Snow Thrower

I have a short driveway and about 60 feet of sidewalk, so i couldn't justify spending $600 or more on a gas-driven beast of a snowblower. I got this machine after our first snow in late December. Since the east coast has been hogging all the snow this winter, I hadn't had a chance to use it here in South Dakota (usually the harsh winter capital of the nation) until mid-February. Now that I have, though, I'm very pleased.



As mentioned by others, throwing snow to the side only moves it about six feet. This worked fine for my sidewalks (the 12-inch cut let me get the whole sidewalk in three furrows, which took about five minutes).



A pointer for anyone clearing a small amount of snow: I worked out a decent system for the driveway where i start down the middle and throw snow a few feet to each side as I work my way to the edges. By the time I get to the edges, I'm throwing the accumulated pile off onto the grass. This clears the driveway rather well, though obviously it wouldn't be as useful in 20 to 30 inches of snow as some other people have seen this winter.



Power cord management is the only real downside to this device. I find myself spending a pretty good amount of time tossing the cord out of my way as i go and down the driveway. It's a minor annoyance that i still hope to find a solution for.



In all, i can now clear my drive and sidewalk in 20 minutes or so rather than the 45 to 60 minutes it took me by shovel. it also fits neatly in my crowded garage. A great little product.

I bought this back in Aug 2004 and it patiently waited in my garage... today, in the northeast, we are getting 20" or so... I didn't wait - when 6" was on the ground I went out and used this machine for the first time. I figured out within 10 mins that if you want the machine to throw the snow anywhere the blades need to be aimed straight ahead, when you adjust it left or right it really cuts down on the distance... that being said, I decided to use this machine side to side on my driveway... because when I was in the middle using the left or right angle, it couldn't get the snow passed the driveway and onto the grass area. But, when it is aimed straight ahead - no problems! Works pretty well.

Purchased through Amazon several seasons ago. Pretty much meets the manufacturer's claims regarding performance. Gave it away when we left snow country. Our needs are different now that we're back in snow country, so I purchased a Toro 1800 Power Curve. Several observations on the Snow Fox:



-Throws snow a HUGE distance when blowing straight ahead. However, will barely move snow out of the way when discharging to left or right.

-Light and maneuverable, handles make it easy to pick-up to clear steps and such

-Like all throwers where the scraper is designed to always contact the ground, this model does not like uneven surfaces such as tilted concrete slabs or gravel. It will catch on the edges and stop moving forward or the impeller will strike the ground.

-Managed to crack the impeller by striking a stone or something and jamming it against the housing. Crack did not reduce performance and made machine look more menacing.

-Unit shipped fully assembled. Plusses and minuses here ... sure you don't have to put it together, but the carton is huge and light and poorly braced inside. My carton arrived crushed. Handles on thrower were bent, but straightened easily when I took 'em across my knee.

-Hangs on the pegboard nicely out of the way.

-Due to resistance losses you are limited to 150 feet of power cord length.



Finally, remember the old adage ... 'When all else fails, read the instructions'



Gary

I bought the Yard-Man version of this machine. Not much different except the labeling. I've used it in three separate snowfalls this year and I am a satisfied customer. Most of the reviews I have seen here have been positive and I generally agree with what they say. Some have been negative and I will address some of their points:



1. The choice for most people is between a $600 gas-powered snow thrower that they will use two or three times a year and a $160 electric snow thrower (I actually bought mine from the factory for $140) that they also will use two or three times a year. So if you fault the machine for not being as brawny as a gas-powered thrower you must credit it for being a relatively inexpensive alternative to a tool of only occasional value.



2. The need to replace scrapers and augers, based on my experience, comes from improper use of the machine. If you hold it too vertical, the scraper and auger will come in contact with the pavement. You can tell when you're doing that by the grinding noise it makes. That's why those pieces will wear. If you insist on scraping down to entirely bare pavement, that's what will happen with any snow thrower.



3. You do need to keep cord management in mind when you are operating the machine. Any run of cord longer than 200 feet is going to reduce power and using small-gauge cord will do the same. You need at least 14-gauge power cord. If you attach the cord according to directions, using the cord tether supplied with the machine, the cord will not drop off. You have to be careful not to run over the cord, because it will jam the auger. Just remember, when you have to stop to relocate the cord, that this little electric machine always will start the first time, every time.



4. It's indisputable that the Snow Fox throws snow to the side a far shorter distance than it throws directly ahead. The way to address this issue - if it's a problem for you - is to clear a driveway with diagonal cuts, so that snow you blow directly ahead of you is well away from the driveway. Trying to do it lengthwise on a driveway will mean you have to move the same snow more than once.



5. There's no question that using the Snow Fox is more time-consuming than using a 20-inch, gas-powered machine. However, because it's so light using it is not nearly as tiring as shoveling or pushing a heavy, gas-powered machine. Again, in most places (I'm in Indianapolis) you're only going to use it a few times a year. And please refer again to my points #1 and 3. In addition, it makes a lot less noise than the two-cycle engines of the gas-powered blowers.



This year, we had a 12-inch snowfall, which is rare. I wondered whether the Snow Fox would be up to the job. I found out, to my surprise, that by reducing the swath a little and by using the diagonal technique described above, it did a fine job. Took longer than it would have with my neighbor's big Toro, but it handled the task.



The next week, we had a four-inch snowfall that was right down Snow Fox Alley. I would bet that my little electric thrower did just as well as the big boy next door. And that was with an immediate start, a quiet motor and no two-cycle exhaust.



Hope those comments answer some criticism. If you have a snow-clearing rage of less than 200 feet, live in an area with less than two feet of snowfall a year and have no concerns about your masculine image, I say give the Snow Fox a try. - Low Cost - Snow Thrower - Snow Blower - Electric Snow Thrower'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Snow Blower - low cost, electric snow thrower snow thrower Snow Blower - low cost, electric snow thrower