Monday 28 September 2009

Air Mattress Pump - air pump, portable 12v air compressor


I am pleased with this inflator so far. (I hedge a bit, given the reviews stating that the device has failed for other users. But that's what the warranty is for.) It is easy to use, effective, and convenient with its storage compartment for power cords and inflation hose. I especially like the automatic cutoff feature; I can turn it on and let it do its thing while I'm doing something else. I run my automobile tires at higher pressures than most (60 PSI), and it had no trouble with those. It takes a couple of minutes, of course, but that's to be expected -- this is not a mechanic's air compressor, and I don't expect that level of performance. I haven't tried them on my higher pressure (90 PSI) bicycle tires yet.



Negatives that other reviewers have mentioned and my comments:

* Gauge readability: Yes, it's a little hard to discern small PSI increments on the gauge. But I never rely totally on any pump's or inflator's built-in gauge for my tires; I always verify with a good quality tire pressure gauge. The inflator's gauge and cut-off get me in the ballpark, and then I fine-tune using the tire pressure gauge. They are within 1 or 2 PSI of each other.

* AC power cord length: Not an issue. I likely would have to use an extension cord anyway. And the short power cord adds a bit to its portability -- no fiddling with it or trying to store a long (and useless while traveling) power cord with the device as it sits in my trunk.

* Noise: No worse than any other inflator I've used.

* Small storage compartment for cords and hose: Not too much of a problem, though it might take a little practice to get them coiled up the right way. It's handy to have the compartment.

* Short inflation hose. No shorter than other inflators in this price range I've used. Plenty long enough to reach a valve stem at top dead center with the device on the ground next to the tire.

* Plastic connector that *might* break. I'll judge it if or when it actually breaks, not before.

* Having to cut the power switch off and then on again to run it after an automatic cutoff: Gimme a break, how big a deal is that?? Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station Inflator

Overall works pretty well.

Positives:

- All hoses and wires and adaptors store inside the unit, for neatness.

- built-in handle is nice

- long 12V auto power cord

- two-year warranty



Negatives:

- When it stops automatically after inflating one item (such as a tire), it must be turned off and back on to inflate another item, or to increase pressure setting and continue filling.

- the AC power cord is extremely short. Pretty much requires an extension cord.

- the air hose is fairly short.

- The noise it makes is quite loud, though not as loud as some I've heard.

- fitting the cords and hose back into the storage compartment is not easy.

- the valve adapter is plastic, not metal, and doesn't seem sturdy. It works so far, however.

I have used it for about a week now. It is much better than the one I got from Walmart. The major issue I see is that the pressure gauge on this machine is rather small and it will be hard for you differentiate between 27psi versus 29psi without using an external gauge. My Toyota Camry calls for 29psi and my other car asks for 34psi front and 36psi rear. It was impossible for me to read 34 vs 36 psi on this machine's gauge.



Tip: To get the best out of this machine - get a good external mechanical pressure gauge with a relief valve (you can get a decent one for under $10 at Walmart). Then set the dial on this machine to be slightly over (2-3 psi more) the pressure required (I set it to 30psi when filling my Camry which needs 29 psi). Fill the tires with air using the machine. Then use the external gauge to measure the pressure and release the air using its relief valve until the pressure is at the desired reading. Works like a charm for me.



Other than this, the machine is quite nice and with a 2 year warranty it is a good buy. Amazon's price was amongst the lowest I could find.

First thing you should know, the Air Station Inflator is LOUD. Wear ear plugs if you care about your eardrums. Secondly, you must shut off the inflator and start it up again for every car tire. Third, the AC cord is a measly few inches. You will need to buy an extension cord. Finally, buy a digital car gauge to make sure you have an accurate measurement.



I thought it would be a snap to fill my own tires but it's laborious, tedious, and loud. You might want to look at a more expensive, quieter model.



Update 8-12-07: With its imperfections noted, I continue to use the Black and Decker and have gotten used to it. Sure, it's loud, but it beats going to the gas station and putting quarters into the air machine and scrambling to put air in your tires with your allotted 5 minutes. So for 50 bucks, the Black and Decker is worth it.

Overall, I like this inflator. As is typical with about anything, it has strengths and weaknesses. The strengths:



- Once set, I verified with a digital tire gauge that the built-in pressure gauge is accurate to <1 psi, so you can actually use the auto-shutoff feature to make your life easier.



- It works with both AC and DC power, which makes it useable both around the house and in the car.



- All the wires nicely and completely store inside it for a clean appearance and easy-to-tuck-away form-factor, without need for velcro strips or the like.



- It pumps air quickly for a portable unit. I've had some that simply take forever to inflate a tire.



- It's not too loud for a portable inflator. Many others are deafening by comparison. (More on this in a moment.)



- The build quality is mostly pretty good. In particular, the body is made of a solid, heavy-duty plastic that doesn't feel flexy, and the power switch doesn't feel like it's going to break after five uses.



- The built-in carry handle--which is molded right into the case - nothing to fold out and break off--is handy and works very well.



The weaknesses:



- The AC cord is indeed on the short side. Obviously, it's designed to be set right next to or under an outlet (or used with an extension cord), and I'm fine with that. However, I still wouldn't mind just another three or four inches inches, just to allow a little more wiggle room when plugging directly into an outlet. But, it *is* more than long enough to reach up to the typical wall outlet from the floor, so no biggie.



- The fake plastic bolt heads on top are cheesy and scream "consumer-grade". That said, they're not bad enough that my wife would notice.



- I'd prefer an all-metal air connector. Admittedly, however, I have an old second-hand foot pump whose connector is almost identical, and everything *but* the connector is falling apart on that, so it's probably not nearly as delicate as it might seem. At least it's not the sort of plastic that tends to melt or crumble in our Phoenix summer heat.



- The gauge, though accurate as far as controlling the pump, isn't scaled in a way that makes it accurate to set. I managed to guess correctly on the first try, and then just left it, but you may not be able to do that if the items you're inflating require a variety of inflation pressures. Basically, don't throw out your dedicated gauge just yet. That said, even when you can't use it for final measurement, the built-in gauge will at least prevent you from grossly (and dangerously) over-inflating if you get distracted, and if you estimate high, it lets you use a separate gauge to reach your target by simply bleeding air out, rather than having to add air.



- The length of the DC cord may make things tight if you have a big vehicle and no power plugs toward the rear. When I did the tires in my Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab full-size pickup, I was able to get the unit to reach from the plug in the dashboard to the rear tires, but I had little length to spare. If I had the longer Mega Cab version, or the longer bed, I may not have been so lucky. That said, we're talking about the longest standard vehicles here, and their owners expect this sort of issue. If it'll be a problem for you, you probably already expect to need a DC extension cord.



- The power switch's design makes it too easy to flip into AC or DC when you don't intend to. I don't know, however, if this can actually cause harm to the unit. FWIW, I accidentally switched into DC while turning it off on AC, and it seemingly did nothing and worked just fine afterward.



As for the noise, since "loud" means different things to different people, I went ahead and measured it. From a distance of about two feet, using C-weighting, I got about 92 dB; I got about 96 dB at three or four inches. At those levels, if you had to listen to it all day in your workplace, OSHA would require hearing protection, but for just a few minutes while you inflate something, it's not a problem. Put in terms of what may be more familiar to many, it's equivalent to a moderately loud segment of an action movie in a theater.



Finally, a note about wire storage. Some here have complained that it's too hard to pack the wires into the unit. I was able to do so for the first time, on the first try, without any frustration and without having to redo the wires. Basically, a quick, loose loop or two suffices for the AC cord and air line, but the space is small enough that you really need to neatly wrap (but not tie) the DC cord. If you are the sort that does that anyway, as I am, you'll be quite happy with the storage compartment. If you're the sort that would prefer to simply shove the wires in, you'll have a harder time.



In the end, I'm a happy camper and definitely recommend this unit to others. - Black And Decker - Air Pump - Portable 12v Air Compressor - Air Compressor'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Air Mattress Pump - air pump, portable 12v air compressor air pump Air Mattress Pump - air pump, portable 12v air compressor