Tuesday 8 September 2009

Cartography - mapping software, laptop


I needed a GPS solution that didn't break the bank. After using a Garmin while on vacation, once, I had fallen in love with the concept. I figured I needed to get a solution of my own. After a bit of research I opted to go with this one and I haven't been disappointed yet. The versatility of the chipset allows me to use a variety of F/OSS applications that fulfill most if not all of my GPS needs. The easy integration with Google earth as well as my PDA was an added plus. Thank the Lord I'll never be lost again! GPS Receiver: Microsoft Pharos GPS-500 III GPS Receiver

This GPS unit is great! Its a lot smaller than the previous units and its fairly accurate to the current position. The unit is compatible with multiple GPS applications such as Streets and Trips 2006-2010.

The GPS receiver plugged into a USB port. I tried it on Windows Vista laptop with a free nautical navigation package which required it be on a serial port. The system automatically downloaded a driver which made the USB look like a serial port. Then I had to change the serial port number on the software to match the driver port number. This all took about 5 minutes. The receiver acquired the satellite lock very quickly and even inside the house gave a location with an accuracy of a few feet.

Very nice GPS receivr for Microsoft Streets and trips. Good Price and easy to set up. I am a trucker and this is a fine accurate receiver for my laptop Streets and Trips program. As for weether resistance, it's not. Don't get it wet. What I did was took one of those roof mount small oval amber lights with the rotating beacon inside apart. Painted the inside of the globe with white plastic based spray paint. Ran a long USB cable through the hole in the base then used spray foam to seal and create a bed for the receiver to rest on. after it dried, I shaped the foam and taped the unit to the bed of foam and placed the cover back on. Now I have a magnetic protective housing with the GPS antenna in it and it works and looks great.

Two thumbs up on this product. Very small and compact & works great. I bought three of them and installed them hidden in the upper dash under the windshields of my vehicles. Then ran the cords to the glove box where they are stored when not in use. Then I just pull the cords out when needed for my GPS notebook.

Arrived quickly and works well. I was having trouble with my earthmate bluetooth GPS receiver not connecting most of the time so this is nice even tho it is hardwired. It connects quickly and stays connected as we are traveling. I am using it with Streets and Trips 2011.

When I received this gps device, I hope that some kind of software to manage it was included in the package, but there's no any instruction or software. Installed in a Laptop with Windows 7. It's plug and play, placed the receiver at the roof of my car. At first a little disapointed, because I found on the web that it works only with Microsoft Street and Trips thats is useless for me, because this had only maps for USA and Canada, and I live most of the time in South America. But after trying with Google Earth, I found in the tool menu an option for GPS, open the 'Realtime' folder option, select the NMEA Protocol, mark 'Automatically follow the path' and click the start button, and after 4 or 5 seconds, my position appear in the map. It's simple to use and a cheap solution if you need a GPS to travel. P.D. The Google Earth needs an Internet connection to display constantly the position, in my case, I have a 3G Modem and an Internet Service Provider that's give me an unlimited data download at a flat cost.

What more can you ask for? Plug it into a Win7 64 bit laptop, the laptop immediately sees the GPS, the GPS locks onto 3 satellites from the basement of a two story home. Works perfectly with M$ Streets & Trips 2010 as well as GRLevel2A and GRLevel3 (storm chasers) using the GPSGate software. I was deciding between the BU353 and this GPS and I couldn't be happier.

This receiver replaced a Microsoft branded receiver that I have been using since 2006. It finally died. I needed one that would work with Microsoft Streets & Trips as that is what I use most of the time. This little jewel filled the bill. I connected it yesterday at home to my computer and even inside the house, away from windows, it put the icon on the map exactly where I was. Next is to try it in the Motorhome with the MS Streets software in navigation mode. - Mapping Software - Laptop - Gps - Driving Directions'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cartography - mapping software, laptop driving directions Cartography - mapping software, laptop