Saturday 8 August 2009

Blueproton - samsung, blu-ray


I needed to replace an aging Panasonic DMP-BD35K, which had decided to become selective as to which BD's it would play( typically newer titles wouldn't load, I'm not sure if it's a question of a lack in newer firmware, of which Panasonic hasn't released an update in about two years, or if it just isn't working any longer.).

I had researched extensively on the purchase of the Panasonic reading many reviews from several websites, but on this purchase I just decided to take a chance with Samsung. I do own a Samsung television which I really like and the reviews of Samsung's 2010 Blu-ray player were also good. Nearly as good as the 'King of the hill' Oppo( according to cnet video test scores. ). I was also aware of the many negative reviews of the 2010 BD-C6500 and I also noticed that they were mostly in regards to the web enabled apps, and not in regards to video playback. I have an Apple TV which I use for Netflix streaming( it does an excellent job of that, 720p only, but no biggy for me ), and I don't really have any use for the other apps.



So in comes the BD-D6500, I unpack it and connect it in about five minute. The set up is basic with many of the menu selections being 'Auto'. I'm still playing with the set up to see if anything looks better/more accurate. I pop in a disc( Avatar ) and wow, it just looked better. I start going through several BD's and they all look great. The blacks are darker without an over zealous increase in contrast. I run it at 24Hz and it appears to do that better as well( it was always so-so on the Panasonic. ). The Imax shots in The Dark Knight look awesome. And all the while as I am going through several BD's I notice how fast this player loads the discs. Really fast compared to the much older Panasonic.

I'm really impressed by this player. I also played some old DVDs to see how well it upscaled and it did a great job. Again it clearly out performed the Panasonic.



Now as far as the Smart TV apps are concerned I did try to watch a movie on Vudu as it gave me a free rental, and after I selected a movie( Machete ), the player locked up. Maybe it didn't like the movie I picked, but it still shouldn't have done that. I did notice that after I registered the player, the Vudu, along with all the other apps that I went through seemed to work. Perhaps I needed to register the player before I was able to use the apps? And there isn't any built in memory for BD-Live which is kind of lame. You need to use an external USB drive.



In the end I am very happy with this purchase and to be completely honest, a part of me was hoping that this player would have sucked just so I could justify the $500 purchase price of the Oppo BD-93. But it doesn't. It's just a really good Blu-ray player and that's what I wanted. So if your not too concerned with Smart TV apps( which are now working for me ), or too worried about playing files off of your PC( which I think it does, but I haven't a use for. ) then buy with confidence, as I am sure that once the different review sites get their hands on the this new BD-D6500, the results will be stellar. Samsung BD-D6500 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (Black)

I bought this after returning a sony google tv blu ray player. After opening the box, I had the basic set up finished within about 5 minutes. The set-up of the blu ray player took a little bit longer because I had to create new accounts for samsung smart tv, not a big deal just takes some time to finish. Once set-up, I loved it!



PROS:

1. GREAT content offered: Hulu plus, netflix, blockbuster, vudu, MLB network, local event listings, tv listings, and much more!

2. Easy to navigate user interface. Lots of graphic content, large print, items are grouped in a logical order so you can find them easily.

3. Good basic search feature

4. Picture quality on netflix and hulu plus is excellent

5. Price...compared to the sony google-tv, which has less content and a higher price, I was VERY happy with this price tag.

6. Sleek design, front-loading dvd player without a tray. Also, it is lightweight and does not take up much space in my entertainment center.





CONS:

1. No QWERTY keyboard - slows down your typing a little, not a big deal though

2. Response time in the user interface and for loading features like apps and netflix is a little slow, but again this is not a big deal.

3. The unit did freeze a couple of times on me, but a simple shutdown and reboot seems to solve this

4. The remote included can function as a basic universal remote, but the codes did not include my tv model so I had to go through all of them until one worked. Cumbersome to accomplish, but ultimately I found a working code...again, not a big deal.

5. Does not come with an HDMI cable. Depending on what you are connecting it to you will need at least one HDMI cable, or as many as three if you are like me: blu ray player, cable box (I am dropping cable service now that I have this), TV, and an AV receiver.



I know that is not the Porsche Boxter of internet blu ray players, but I feel VERY good about this purchase and the content offered.

I been using the Samsung BD-D6500 unit for a month now and found the picture and color rendition to be great. 3D viewing through my Samsung 3D ready HDTV and optional 3D glasses works well. The wired and wireless connection work but I found myself resetting the unit's network interface on occasion in order to get the unit to function. I strongly recommend using the wired connection for speed and reliability. The standard remote control works fine but the "EXIT", "RETURN", "INFO i" and "TOOLS" buttons are crammed too tightly around the navigation buttons causing inadvertent button depressions. Also, I would have preferred if the "EXIT" and "RETURN" buttons where interchanged. The "Smart Hub" Internet applications are fine when they work. I have found that the "Netflix" application interface is limited compared to the "Netflix" PC interface. If you plan to use the "Smart Hub" applications extensively you may want to consider purchasing the optional "QWERTY" remote control. The BD-Live feature was a challenge to setup and I have yet to get it to work reliably without hanging up the unit. Instructions on how to get the BD-Live feature to work are spares and unclear. However, it is a feature I can live without and of questionable use and value. You will need a thumb drive or external hard drive to get the BD-Live feature to work. Also, you need to let the unit know that you are using the external drive for this purpose. Try the "Digital Data Management" function on the on-screen menu for this.



Overall, if you own a Samsung 3D ready HDTV and 3D viewing is important to you consider this unit. The picture and color quality is great. Otherwise, if 3D viewing is not important consider other Blu-ray (BD) units that may do a better job of network applications. Note, this unit does not provide for direct 5.1 speaker connections.



Now for the tips!



As soon as you connect your unit out of the box and configure your network performed a "network" firmware update! Look in the manual for instructions or under the "Settings" then Support menu on-screen.



If you find yourself resetting the unit's network or having network problems try manually assigning a static IP network address above your router's DHCP addresses or range. To do this first perform a "Network Status" on your unit and note the submask, gateway and DNS server addresses. Now "login" to your router and find the range of the dynamically assigned DHCP addresses. For example, on a Linksys router it is usually 50 addresses starting from 192.68.1.0 to 192.68.1.49.

Pick any address above this range, say 192.168.1.160 for example. However, any address above the DHCP IP address range will do for your specific router. Next, return to BD-D6500 and press the following sequence of remote control buttons for a wired connection: "Menu", select Settings on the screen and "Enter", select Network and "Enter", select "Network Setting" select Wired and "Enter", select IP Mode then select Manual and "Enter".

Finally, enter the IP 192.168.160 and then enter the noted submask, gateway and DNS server addresses your recorded previously. Finally, press "RETURN" your done. Wireless connection is similar to the above press "Wireless" for "Wired" above. You should perform a "Network Status" to make sure all is well.



If you unit is hung after using the BD-Live feature or a "Smart Hub" application try the following:

1. Power off the unit. 2. Disconnect the Ethernet wire from the unit if using a wired connection. 3. Unplug the power cord of the unit. 4. Press the "Power" touch button on the front of the unit and hold in for 20 seconds. 5. Release and reconnect the Ethernet cable and then re-plug the power cord.



If you were using the "Netflix" Smart Hub application you may need to re-activate it after resetting the network on the unit.



Hope this help! If not, contact Samsung and alert them of problem you are experiencing with the unit. I've been able to reach Samsung support in several occasions without much delay. - Blu-ray Disc Players - Samsung - Blu-ray - Netflix Streaming'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Blueproton - samsung, blu-ray netflix streaming Blueproton - samsung, blu-ray