Wednesday 15 July 2009

Imagination Entertainment - board game, xmas gift


I bought this game with some birthday money and hoped it would be worth it. Getting my two teen daughters to sit still for a game can sometimes be a challenge, so I was pleasantly surprised to find them intrigued and willing to give it a shot. Maybe it was the whole "beating the parents" idea.



With my wife and I on one side, and the kids on the other, we jumped in. After a minor mix-up on some rules, we got going and had a good time. The questions seemed to be well-assorted, and in fact my oldest daughter did "beat the parents." Oh, man! Now, we've got to play again so I can have a shot at redemption.



Despite a few little things that could've made the game clearer and quicker, I think this is well worth it. The other complaint is that we went through all the questions in the course of two games. Other than that, we modified a thing or two to fit our family's mood and my daughters even said, "That was fun, Dad. Can we play again sometime?" Which I think, translated, meant: "Can we beat you again?"



Hmmm. I guess I'll give it another go. Beat The Parents Board Game

This is a great game and our two girls ages 12 and 9 beat us several times!They were so excited!It is a really good educational game.The big problem with it is that there are no replacement cards.We went through all the cards in two games.I checked around and there are no booster packs of cards.That left us really dissapointed.If we had known that, we never would have bought the game.

I had a great time playing this game with my kids. They really enjoyed trying to find a question mom and dad couldn't answer. It is a very educational game for both parents and children. A great game for family game night!

This *sounded* like a fun game. The idea is that parents have to answer trivia questions that would be easy for kids to answer, but are hard for the parents, and vice-versa. There are a couple of major problems with the way the questions are designed, however.



First, the questions for the kids aren't set up so as to adapt to different ages of kids. My 6-year-old might be challenged by "what color do you get when you mix red and blue?", but my 15-year-old definitely isn't! Nearly all of the questions intended to be harder for the kids, while being pretty much impossible for the 6-year-old, were only a little challenging to my 8-year-old, and downright duh-worthy for my 11-, and 15-year-old . Their unanimous reaction? "These are stupid!"



Second, the questions for the parents almost exclusively involve obscure aspects of pop culture, particularly hip-hop or rap culture. My kids, even the 15-year-old, said that they wouldn't have been able to answer 90% of them any more successfully than my husband and I were. Moreover, they weren't the kind of fun, interesting questions that can at least allow for a fun discussion and a semi-educated guess.



The result is that the playing field isn't level enough to be fun, even for the kids. In the future, we'll be back to playing "Apples To Apples", "Pictureka" or the good ol' classics.

We have a very large family which makes it difficult to find family games that are challenging for the older kids (aged 12 and 14) but easy enough for the younger kids (9 and 10) but not so easy that we parents are bored out of our minds!



This game has simple rules and is easy for the youngest to understand. The questions have a wide range so there are some that are very simple and some that are more challenging, and usually each card has a mix of the two. All six of us that played found some of the questions challenging at times. Every one of us learned at least one new thing from the trivia questions.



Unfortunately, if everyone in your family has a great memory, once you get through the trivia cards one time everyone knows all of the answers already! I'd say this is the biggest drawback of the game and will likely shorten it's life as a family favorite. If they had booster packs of cards that you could use to supplement it would be much better.



Overall this was a fun family game that kept all of the kids of playing age entertained and also made them cooperate as a team without arguing.

I mistakenly bought this game for a family too old to play it. It is appropriate for preteens and teenagers to play with their parents. My kids and we are too old for the references and pop culture questions. It was good for a few laughs but we did not want to play it again.

Your playing this game in minutes. Great for two families having a get together. Four parents against their kids! The questions are just about perfect to keep the game fair and exciting. Good fun every time we play.

My wife and I have played against our kids (6 and 8) twice, and thus far the kids have won a game and we have won a game---so there is parity, in my opinion. (Of course we often give hints to keep them interested.)



Pros: Great educational value. We all learn things as we play, and discuss what we've learned---this keeps it lively. Of course the kids really enjoy teaming up against the parents, so the concept is a big hit with them.



Cons: The rules are very vague (a common theme with Imagination board games). We ended up making some of our own rules based on how we "thought" it should be played after reading the instructions over and over. Additionally, thus far there seems to be quite a few Harry Potter questions for the kids to ask the parents. In our last game, three questions alone dealt with Harry Potter (which I personally have no interest in). SpongeBob questions I can answer. Harry Potter questions---not so much. ;-)



We have yet to go through all the cards, and assume when we do it will be even more fun to see how well the kids (and parents) remember the answers.



All in all I would certainly recommend this game. As others mentioned, the concept is great---but it is in need of some fine-tuning to make the game play more fluid. If Imagination comes out with a second edition, I would purchase it. - Board Game - Games - Trivia Game - Xmas Gift'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Imagination Entertainment - board game, xmas gift board game Imagination Entertainment - board game, xmas gift