Monday 22 June 2009

Kayaking - kayaking


This product arrived without assembly instructions, but didn't take long to assemble after reviewing an online picture--maybe an hour or so. It holds our 65 and 75 pound kayaks with no problem. I've seen other racks that cost double and hold less so we're overall happy with our purchase and happy the kayaks are now off the garage floor. SpareHand Malibu Plus Dual Kayak Storage Rack

Fairly priced from Amazon and well-made, this SpareHand rack will hold up to 4 kayaks, although it comes with hardware brackets for only two. If you have 3 or 4 kayaks, you can get extra brackets from Amazon. The SpareHand Malibu Plus Dual Rack does the job nicely if you have room in your garage or on a covered porch. Note: The literature says it is not for outdoor use and that must be true. Our garage flooded during Hurricane Irene and it has rusted badly. You should follow their restriction not buy this for outdoor use, unless perhaps you live in Yuma or El Paso. Note that this model differs from several other SpareHand kayak racks in that the base has "legs" extending on 4 sides, where other racks extend only on 2 sides. I could find no other differences by inspecting advertisements on line. The printed assembly instructions are outrageously bad and completely unsatisfactory, but you can puzzle out assembling it without much trouble, by looking at the advertisement pictures you will find on line at various sporting goods stores. Assembly takes about half an hour. I am fully satisfied with my rack. It is sturdy, meets my needs and takes up minimal room.

This kayak rack has been great. The instructions were easy to understand and my husband and I were able to assemble it in about half an hour. It's also constructed really well. We're thinking of getting another for our other kayaks!

Recieved my rack on Saturday 9/12/09 and tried to put it together. Things wer going great until I got to the cradles. Two of them had the clamps for the uprights built in. The other two it looks like the clamps are a seperate attachment, an attachment that was not included in the shipment. Being that it was a weekend I was unable to contact anybody about this problem although they did get back to me on the next workday. After quite some time I was able to get my point across that the clamps were missing and was told that they would be shipped as soon as possible. Looks like another ten days before I can either upgrade or lower my rating of this item. Hopefully it will be going up as over all I like what I see.

I needed a decent storage solution for my Pungo 120. The wall space in my garage is already taken up by shelving & because I have young children I didn't want to suspend anything that heavy in the garage overhead in case it fell. This rack was the perfect solution. The directions weren't that great, but it was very simple to assemble anyway (about 20 min.). Since I only have one kayak I use the top brackets to hang my paddle, PFD, & other gear, though I believe it would hold a second kayak with no problem. The feet are adjustable so it can be leveled on an uneven surface. The only thing I wish it had was a set of locking casters so it could be easily moved around the garage. However, based on the design I believe a resourceful person could get a set of wheels at a local hardware store & install them easily, which is what I plan to do.

This storage rack works well. Both our kayaks are off the ground and there was enough room to store other items beneath them. The rack's footprint was larger than we expected, but by putting the kayaks toward the wall we made it fit. Unlike other reviewers, good directions and most parts arrived with it (one screw missing).

The fact that this was shipped without instructions was no big deal. However, it was also shipped without any of the screws needed for assembly. A call to Amazon was not helpful as they did not have the vendor phone number [It is (626) 338-8998 and you will probably need it]. You can also head to your local hardware store for some bolts which doesn't seem right for something that costs over $200. Bolts are Metric #6, sorry I don't have all the lengths required. I found the quality on the parts that were shipped to be just fair. Hope this save you an afternoon on the water rather than at the Home Depot. Disappointing - Kayaking'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Kayaking - kayaking kayaking Kayaking - kayaking