Wednesday 8 April 2009

Stainless Steel - pens, pen


This is an exceptional pen, and if it wasn't for the fact that I've found an even better one, I'd give it 5 stars. This biggest thing for me is that like other folks here, I'm in the military and there are very few good retractable pens out there that will slide in and out of our pen pockets. This pen has a little bit of rubber on it so it doesn't slide in and out as smoothly as I'd like, but I will honestly say that it's not terrible at it either. The reason why it does slide out of the pocket so well with the rubber on it is because the circumference of the shaft is smaller than a standard sized pen.



Now let me introduce you to the pen that I have fallen in love with, the Pilot Better Ballpoint Pen.



Here are a few differences which I feel enable the Pilot to edge out the Zebra as being a superior pen:



1. It's plastic (with steel highlights) so it's easier to hold onto and doesn't slip around in the hands. The stainless steel shaft on the Zebra with sweaty hands can get cumbersome, even with the grip on it.

2. The Pilot weighs a great deal less so you forget that you're carrying it. When I'm uniform with a Zebra pen, I notice it and feel it there. (FYI, this never bothered me until I started carrying the lightweight Pilot pen. Now, if I carry a Zebra pen, it's REALLY noticeable, and not in a good way.)

3. Because the Pilot is plastic and has no rubber on it, it slides effortlessly out of the pen pocket.

4. The steel clip is far superior on the Pilot. It will not move at all when clipped to something. The Zebra can slide a little and swivel in place. Also, it's easier to bend the Zebra's clip so you ruin it's ability to clip onto anything. The clip on the pilot is more durable here. There have been times when I've lifted up my arm I've had my Zebra pen slide out of the pocket (because of the weight and the clip.)

5. Pilot is a little cheaper.

6. Pilot is a little bit longer, which helps make it easier to handle and more comfortable, for me anyway.

7. Pilot is just a little bit fatter (meaning the circumference is that of a standard pen size) which makes it easier to handle. It's not fat, and it will still slide into the smallest of my pen pockets.

8. I find that the Zebra is a very, very nice pen, but I like it less and less if I have to do a lot of writing at once. It's good in short bursts but can quickly become uncomfortable because it's made of steel, which is hard and heavy. The plastic shaft on the Pilot is softer and more comfortable than the steel shaft with rubber on it.

9. The Pilot comes in a .5mm, so it's an even finer point. I find this enables me to write on carbon copies easier as it transfers better than the Zebra. I find it's also better for having to write in little boxes or forms.

10. They both write effortlessly and smooth with no globbing or smearing.

11. Looks go to the Zebra because lets face it, stainless steel is nicer to look at than plastic. However, the pilot is no chump when it comes to looks, and for a plastic pen, it's probably the most attractive one I've seen; it has a very professional look.

13. If you read the reviews of the Pilot, you will find 99% of the folks say it's the best pen they've ever used, for good reason.





I hope this review was helpful for y'all. If you do decide to go with the Zebra, know that it is a quality pen and you will probably love it, at least until you try the Pilot... Zebra's F-301 Stainless Steel Retractable Ballpoint Pen 0.7mm Black Dozen (27110AMZ)

I have been a police officer for 5 years and for 3 of them, I have used this pen, and this pen alone. I have tried everything out there, the $20 refillable pens, cheap plastic throwaways, and this is the hands down best pen for the job. The only time it doesn't write is when it is running out of ink. It lasts a surprisingly long time. I have to write A LOT. One of the first things you learn as a cop is to have plenty of pens, because if you can't write, you can't do your job.



I write down suspect descriptions, vehicle descriptions, missing children descriptions, missing property, names, dob's, DL#'s, addresses, phone numbers, accident reports, book in sheets, etc, etc. I give my pen to probably a dozen people a shift for them to write statements (which average two pages.. oh and as the others said, always remember who you gave it to and GET IT BACK!). I write tickets (not too many though ;) This pen works in the worst conditions.



It is well constructed. I have never had a clip on of these break (common problem as many times as pens come in and out of our shirts), never had one bust open, leak ink, or have the clicker stop working.



So glad I found this dozen bundle on here, it seems like they are only carried in certain stores. I put these pens through 12 hour shifts and don't have to replace them very often. I am excited about how long a 12 pack will last me!



This pen is a valuable crime fighting tool!

I discovered this pen by accident years ago. I love them. They are indestructible; been exposed to sweat, rain and dirt; and I love the fine point of it. I've never used them long enough before they go dry as I keep losing them, but I've never had to scribble on something to get the ink to flow like other pens. They also sell these as a comfort-grip style and they're just as good. This one is a little more low profile, but still plenty of weight in my hand. The clip is very strong and does not wear out over time. If you get this, you'll never look back.

These pens are phenomenal. So much so that I have never had a pen run out before someone swipes them. I've taken to etching my name on the barrel (a benefit of stainless steel), and that helps keep the sticky fingers at bay. Or at least makes it easier to reclaim when you find it on someone's desk!

The line is very consistent with these, you don't end up with the smudges and ghost writing that happens with a lot of ball point pens. The retractable clip is nice, allowing me to keep these pens in my purse or pockets without fear of ink bleeding. They are comfortable to grip, and I've written multi-page letters without my fingers cramping up.

If you're going to spend money on buying ball point pens, these are worth every cent. - Zebra - Pens - Stainless Steel - Pen'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Stainless Steel - pens, pen pens Stainless Steel - pens, pen