Thursday 26 March 2009

Porter-cable - porter-cable


I purchased this stapler to install a 28ft X 43ft plywood subfloor. The staples were spaced every 8 square inches and I used the 1 1/4" staples.

It worked flawlessly. No misfires and every staple was properly counter sunk. Originally I thought that after this project, I would probably never use it again. But with the wide range of staples it accepts, I have begun to use it on smaller projects that I would have used my 16 guage P.C finish nailer.

For me it was a good investment> Porter-Cable NS150B 1/2- to-1-1/2-Inch 18-Gauge Crown Stapler

I compared the two Porter-Cable 18-gauge crown staplers and chose this one because for $10 more had the capacity to fire 1-1/2" staples versus the 1-1/4" capacity of the NS100B. It also has sequential fire option, that I tried and liked but have yet to use extensively. Overall, I was very impressed with this unit.



I was impressed that I was able to easily tack 3/4" thick strapping that I was using for spacers in to 2X framing as well as a secure large quantity of 1/2 inch foam board without adjusting the staple depth once I set it.



A few other features I liked:

* Lightweight and well balanced, made it easy to maneuver overhead and in tight spots

* Easy to adjust staple penetration depth

* The hanger spins from side to side, so you can hang it on either side of your belt

* There is an easy to see red warning window tells you that your are almost out of staples

* The air exhaust is routed through the handle so it blows away from you and your work



On the negative side, one small nitpick:

* You have to position the hanger at just the right angle for the case to close

While remodeling a bedroom, I decided to try something new and went with ceiling planks. Instructions said stapling was the best method. Not wanting to go the manual route, I started looking into a pneumatic stapler. After reading several articles and my past experience with other PC tools, I decided I couldn't go wrong with this stapler. Within 20 minutes (yes - I DO read the instructions...) I was putting on the ceiling planks. It's very quiet for a pneumatic tool and light enough where I had no problems having it over my head. To experiment a little, I was able to drive the staples until I hit about 65 psi. That's about the pressure where the staples are not flush to the surface. Since these ceiling planks are basically recycled cardboard, I wouldn't recommend going below 75psi on most jobs. Ceiling done, I have managed to find several other "honey-do" projects where this stapler has really come in handy. If you're a weekend handy-man and want a stapler that gets the job done, is lightweight, and easy on the budget, check out this model.

I bounced around between Bostitch and Porter Cable for the smaller nailers and staplers, and have since moved almost completely over to Porter Cable. Loading the tool is easy. Removing jams (if ever needed) is also ver simple. Well designed, well balanced, lightweight, and nice quality. All around, a very nice tool.

I own several Porter Cable tools, all of 'em are first rate. However this one is not: it "double shoots" frequently; did so from day one. One can work around that of course. It was a good buy but only because it was very inexpensive. I wouldn't recommend it for finish work.

Works as a stapler, for now. However, time will tell. Until now, my tool line has been a PC advertisement and oiler promotion. This is my first Black & Decker, post-PennAir, PC addition. This stapler shares many features common to a tool line acquired by B&D (remember Dewalt?), molded plastic parts where one would expect stamped metal, paint finishes rather than polished metal, and idiosyncratic engineering changes.



I hadn't ever thought light weight pneumatic tools required integral belt hooks. Apparently, neither does B&D as they included instructions in the owners manual on how to remove it. This is more remarkable as those same instructions lack the procedure for how to load staples.



Oil free, heavy users understand the value of regular lubrication. Oiled tools simply last longer and perform more reliably. Oil free has its place. My spray gun is serviced by an oil free compressor. However, all of my nailers always have an in-line snubber/oiler at the tool inlet. If spots are a problem, then adjust the exhaust away from the work.



Steel missing from where one would expect it. Body castings lacking any distinguishing characteristics between aluminum or potmetal.



Then, of course, there are those wildly entertaining side notes, instructions obviously written by non-native speakers of english including strange safety warnings about using sharp tools. - Porter-cable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Porter-cable - porter-cable porter-cable Porter-cable - porter-cable