Thursday 26 March 2009

Outdoor Firepit - outdoor fireplace, outdoor fire pit


We bought this form a local hardware store chain - Menards - $99.99 every day price.

ours is black, which we like because so is our iron deck furniture. so it matches nicely.

it looks good sitting on the deck. up close, when putting it together, you see some flaws. little nicks here and there, the weld where the side meats the bottom. also the protective loop does not align very well. I got picky and spent a lot of time bending it here and there to make it fit tight and flush. had to do the same with the spark screen thing too. as it was so out of round, it woudl not fit on at first.



One thing, at the end of the instructions, just when you are getting excited to fire it up, they tell you to add 5lbs of sand to the bottom. the reason being, to help insulated the surface below(grass, deck, etc) from the heat, and to keep the ash form corroding the bottom of the fire pit. DARN! I wish it said make sure to buy 5lbs of sand while I was buying it at the store! now I got to go get sand.



also, do not leave it in the rain, do not allow it to fill with water as it may shorten its life - corrosion again. I think they need to anodize these things! so make sure you cover it, or put it away, out of the rain.

nice thing, it has a nice grill, as in you can use it to cook on with the supplied grill rack. Nice! and it also has a spark screen and a poker/handle to remove a hot screen with. a lot of fire pits do not include them. Landmann 28335 Big Sky Stars & Moons Fire Pit, Georgia Clay, 12.5-inches deep

I love this fire pit.It holds lots of logs.The rustic design fits nicely in my wooded setting. .It gives the feeling of a real camp fire.I love the celestial cut outs.I have a portable charcoal grill that I set into the pit when I want to cook a small amount.When cooking is done I dump the charcoal into the pit,add kindling and logs and enjoy toasting marshmellows around the "camp fire".

GREAT FUN.

I wanted the larger model with the big platform surrounding it ... to put our feet up and/or to hold our drink glasses, but we couldn't afford it this year.



My thoughtful son bought me this one instead because he knew I'd enjoy the feminine color and the moon-and-star cutouts. I'm a "fool" for ambience, and he know I'd go ga-ga over the way they reflect the light, creating a mini outdoor show.



Now when the grandkids come over we can roast marshmallows AND keep warm in the cool evenings as well.



I love my new fireplace!

A very well made fire pit and is very attractive at night when the fire is going. The cut out moon and stars are really a conversation piece. Easy to move and I like the cooking grate, wire screen and the poker stick really comes in handy. The cover you can order to fit is a must!! It is very well made and is an excellent fit. Keeps the rain out and does not blow off at all . The cover has 2 good tie downs but it fits so well you really don't need to tie it down.

This firepit is the perfect size for a small patio. Its sturdy construction will hold up to many summers gathered around the fire. The glow is enhanced by the moon and stars cut-outs, making for a special evening event!

I settled on this Landmann Big Sky Fire Pit based on looks and due to many great reviews. To all of you that took the time to review, thank you!



This is my first fire pit for family use.



Pros

1) All needed accessories included (minus consumables such as sand and logs)

2) Beautiful appearance

3) Grill rack is actually functional

4) Rail protects burning from bumping against it, which is likely will happen eventually specially with kids roasting marshmallows. The sides do get hot so be careful.

5) The rails function as a handle to manipulate during cleaning



Cons

1) The pieces that make up the protective rail did not fit properly. Attached to each other made almost a circle, but not quite (symmetrical) and after much trial an error ended up wrestling to line up the screw holes.

2) The legs were not painted on the inside making them prone to rust

3) The paint on the inside bottom came off exposing the base metal after just the first use. I used plenty of play sand and only three logs leading me to believe the paint is not heat resistant; I did paint the interior with heat-resistant paint as another reviewer advised, but on top of the original; save a trip to the hardware store and get that quart can of paint rather than the spray can.



The family and I enjoyed it and definitely recommend to anyone in suburbia that wants to spend some time together around a fire.

I deliberated a few different fire pits and watched prices before ordering this one and I'm very happy with my decision! If you belong to Amazon Prime then it's a no-brainer, great price and 2-day shipping included. I hear they offer this fire pit in some Targets but I've not been able to find it locally. If you're thinking of getting one,just do it - you won't be disappointed! We use this much more than I thought we would - almost anytime the temp drops down at night here in FL. Because it's circular, you really get that campfire feeling with the chairs all spread around campfire-style. Even my 12 year old turns off his computer and Wii to come chill outside by the fire, drink hot cocoa and cook s'mores. It's a great way to hang out with family and friends without the TV on! And so far, I don't see any signs of rust on this pit, even left outside in the Florida humidity. If you live in FL you know what a big deal that is. I do think I'll pack it away when we hit spring though to protect it, especially since we won't be needing it with 80 degree nights :)

This is a nice quality fire pit. It is a good size for a back yard fire, and holds a substantial amount of wood. The pit looks nice, and is easy to use. I bought a demo unit so I didn't have to assemble it or anything, but I think I got the incorrect poker/lid lifter as it is a little short.



Don't expect the sun and moon shapes to cast shadows around the pit, but they do add to the ambiance from the flickering light shining through them. They are a nice addition.



Be sure to put a little sand in the bottom (5 to 10 pounds) to insulate any surface below and help the pit last longer. The sand also helps weight it down making it more stable. The pit is also light enough to easily be moved around. I store it off to the side and when I need it I pull it out along with some flag stones to set it on to keep it stable.



I am pleased with the purchase and it will help me get rid of some less dense wood I didn't want to burn in my indoor fireplace due to excessive creosote. I plan on making good use of this over the fall and summer. Great for roasting marshmallows or even for grilling. - Outdoor Fire Pit - Outdoor Fireplace - Firepit - Fire Pits'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Outdoor Firepit - outdoor fireplace, outdoor fire pit outdoor fireplace Outdoor Firepit - outdoor fireplace, outdoor fire pit