Friday 20 February 2009

Porter-cable - woodworking, sander


I have been looking at the PC390k for quite some time but was waiting for the right price. Found this product which appears to be a clone at a great price. I have two (2) Bosch 1295DVSK's and thought they were great products until I used this one. Buy it, you won't regret it. DEWALT D26456 5-Inch Low Profile Random Orbit Sander

Bought this a few weeks ago...had been getting by with an old Makita quarter sheet for several years...and the sandpaper always ends up coming loose so wanted to graduate. (I am doing some repair work on my exterior clapboard -- although we just had the house painted 3 yrs ago, where there were several layers underneath, it is lifting. Rather than getting a new paint job, some quick sanding, priming, painting is really doing the trick! Now that I have gotten totally off track, this is only possible because I demanded the painter use a high end California brand paint (very highly rated by Consumer Reports) -- "Meeting House Blue" -- and the color has not faded at all! -- perfect blend in).



The reviews for all the DEWALT are great...and for some reason, I just had to have the low profile sander. Does it work well? Yes. It is harder harder to handle given the bigger hand grip? Yes -- and I should have known better as I do have a smaller hand for a guy...especially since the initial use is vertical against a house. Even with that detraction, its a very sound tool. Amazed at how well it captured the dust. I would just caution getting it unless you have a specific reason for a low profile sander.

This is my second palm sander, my first was a porter cable (the pad came off and brushes went bad after many years of service). I like this low profile. I read another review that indicated this one was hard to hold onto but I do not find that to be true. The lower center of gravity makes it easier to control than the porter cable and other sanders. I am only 5'8" as is my son and neither of us have any difficulty holding on to this while working. The variable speed is a nice feature and I highly recommend it.

This sander replaces my great old Porter Cable. First, I bought a Bosch. Terrible tool: it would have worked me to death. It went back to the dealer. Based on review and reputation I ordered this high end DeWalt. It is terrific. I sanded cherry plugs glued into a chest with 80 grit, then followed with 180 and 240. This sander works fast and is easy to control. Light in the hand. Much quieter than either my PC or the Bosch and dust control is the best. This model costs more than other DeWalt models but to me it is a good value.DEWALT D26456 5-Inch Low Profile Random Orbit Sander - Random-orbit Sanders - Woodworking - Sander - Sanders'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Porter-cable - woodworking, sander sanders Porter-cable - woodworking, sander