Tuesday 24 February 2009

Folding Knives


With knifes, you have to use and abuse them a little before you can write a fair review based on it's performance. For most knifes of this price you wouldn't expect super high quality as you would with prominent knife makers like Benchmade or CRKT, etc. In this instance, however, this is actually a fairly well made knife. And, I will be quick to point out it is made out of the same high quality steel that most high end knifes are made from (440C). I have had no problems so far with mine in the two months that I have had it and I use it A LOT. Mostly as a utility knife but it would make an excellent all around everyday and campers knife. It has kept a sharp edge so far and the tip has not bent or been damaged even though I have used the tip to pry open things. The design is nice and comfortable to hold. The lock has worked well and consistent. I had to actually loosed the screws on mine with a torx wrench just a little so that the "quick open" finger notch worked more smoothly. With a light flick it whips open quickly now. It is super thin & the pocket clip works nicely. It's not too heavy even though it is a decent sized knife. I would rate this overall as a very useful utility and/or campers/hikers knife and would recommend it! Mtech Extreme Tactical Folding Pocket Knife

I bought this knife for my 14-year-old son, and he loves everything about it (and I certainly loved its low price!). But after two weeks of use, the screw on which the blade pivots loosened and fell out. Fortunately my son retrieved the part and handed all of it to me to be repaired.



If this happens to you -- and enough users on Amazon have reported problems with these screws backing out that you might want to anticipate it -- you'll need a small Torx screwdriver (size "T8" to be precise) and a bit of Loctite, or similar thread locker (available at any hardware store or auto parts store). The blade is surrounded by a nylon bushing on each side. Once you make sure that those bushings are in place, put a drop of Loctite on the screw, and use the Torx driver to tighten it to just where you would like it -- tight enough to have little or no play, but loose enough that you can extend the blade with a flick of the wrist. I'd suggest using "removable" threadlocker rather than "permanent", just in case you ever want to change the screw adjustment. And use just a drop; you don't want to foul the nylon bushings that keep the blade moving smoothly.



Incidentally, for those of you with video-game-playing kids, you might already own a T8 Torx driver, because it's the same tool that opens up an Xbox 360 controller. If you don't have one, you can get this one on Amazon for about five bucks: Silverhill Tamper Resistant Torx size T8 for Xbox 360 Controller



In spite of this annoyance -- and it definitely IS annoying -- the knife is an awesome bargain, fully meeting my son's needs.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first received this knife in the mail. It's really nice looking, extremely sharp and works great. Within two weeks of using the knife, I was missing all of the tiny screws that hold the knife together. For $5, you get what you pay for I guess. But I almost stabbed myself the first time I reached for it and it was open all of the way because the screws weren't holding it together any longer.

I got this knife the other day and at first I was a bit skeptical about it. When I took it out of the box I was immediately suprised with how good it looked. Even though the grapghics are painted on, it still looks great. The blade is a good length for a tactical folder. It is a bit on the heavy side but I dont mind so owell. The blade deploys nicely with a good flick. I also purchased a S&W extreme ops(partially serrated) blade as my edc knife. Ill probably carry both and recommend both. Hope this review was helpfull.

This knife isn't a great buy because it's a great knife, but a great knife because it's a great buy. Come on, you get an almost 4", 440c blade with finger flipper, lanyard holes, tactical features, comfortable handle, cool blade paint and deep carry pocket clip for 7 change delivered. The drop point blade is fairly thick and menacing with a nice even grind and edge. The flipper acts as a finger choil if needed. You would think this folder cost 50 bucks after listening to some of the complaints in other reviews. At this price I'm willing to sharpen the blade and tighten a screw or two... what's the big deal? Of course it's not going to be a zero defect knife at this price. By the way, mine was extremely sharp out of the box and my screws haven't budged. My blade does not lock tightly into the handle as others have stated and can come loose but at this price I'll live with it or fix it if possible. For The Money, This Knife Rocks! I would recommend it to anybody and I'm going to buy a few more.

This is an amazing knife for the money. It is so easy to sharpen, and holds an edge as well as any stainless should.

Its no high carbon steel, but its a folder, leave the nice metals for a full tang, large knife.



The only downside to this knife, if carried regularly, is that the screws holding the whole this together will unscrew themselves. I learned this the hard way as one fell out and was lost. I found out that if you take them out, and apply a dab of super glue to the end, and screw them back in tightly, the glue will slide through the threading and keep it in place unless a significant amount of force is used to take them out.

Problem solved!



But really, a great knife, smooth to flip, a breeze to sharpen, and a cool factor that has all my friends oohing.

this is a great knife to have, at only [...]. i can't review this knife simply bunched up, so i separated it....



Blade: 4/5

good design, drop point blade. the steel is 440, the blade claims to be 440C, however, the edge holding durability and the cheapness makes this knife appear to me to be 440A. it has a soft fence design, non glare. the design does rub off if your cutting something hard like wood. it sharpens up nicely, but the blade gets blunt faster then better quality steels. there is a finger choil on the blade tat allows you to choke up on it, but it's pretty small, and if you have large fingers it might not be safe. the blade has a flipper and ambidextrous thumb-studs. the flipper has aggressive jimping, and the thumb studs are grooved, but not knurled or textured.



Handle 3/5

the handle is ergonomic, but the grooves are placed so that you need either large hands, or smallish hands. in between and your small finger may get jammed on the last groove.



lockup (liner lock) 4/5

the lockup is solid front to back, however, from side to side there is minuscule, almost invisible to the naked eye movement. it does have a ball bearing detent, although the ball bearing or the detent is not very strong. the ball bearing detent is a small ball bearing in the blade, and then a small dip in the handle that is not visible. it keeps the blade closed, and it helps assist in manual opening. the liner lock has a aggressive imping- almost too aggressive.



opening it 3/5

the knife opens as a onehanded manual- as in it is not assisted. i don't know why there is a flipper in the back, because to open it that way you need to accompany it with a wrist flick.



other things- it has a lanyard hole, and a nice blackened clip.



i like it, buy it.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Folding Knives Folding Knives Folding Knives