Wednesday 19 November 2008

Socket Wrenches - stanley, socket


This is a great little spark plug socket set, and includes the three most common sizes, 5/8", 3/4", and 13/16".



I have several socket sets of various sizes (and costs), some big, and some little. For some reason, every one of them includes only one size spark plug socket, 5/8".



Recently I've noticed that my small power tools, like my chainsaw, trimmer, and leaf blower are getting really hard to start. So, I decide to replace the spark plugs on them, and that's when I discover that all of the spark plugs are 3/4", much too large to work with my 5/8" sockets.



I tried the little free socket wrench that comes with most of the power tools, and it bends without taking out the plug. I guess that's what happens when you wait several years between changing the plugs. Oops!



So I go in search of the right size, and I find that most sets include two sizes: 5/8" and 13/16". Every size but the one I need, of course!



Imagine my surprise when I run across this little beauty. It includes all three sizes, and holds the socket on the walls instead of the corners (which prevents the plug from rounding off). The little plastic case they come in is handy for storage and can hang on a pegboard hook, so you'll be able to find them when you need them.



Very nice little solution to a vexing problem. Reasonably priced, too. Just try not to wait as long as I did before changing the plugs!



Sean P. Logue, 2008 Stanley 85-721 3/8-Inch Drive 6-Point Professional Grade Spark Plug Socket Set, 3-Piece

These are high quality spark plug sockets in the three most popular standard sizes (5/8", 3/4", and 13/16"). They are made of Chromium Vanadium (Cr-V) and have a polish chrome finish. The rubber lining inside grabs onto the ceramic portion of the spark plug tightly, and it protects it from damaging the plug. It also keeps the socket vertical while you are loosening or tightening the plug. I highly recommend these to anyone looking for high quality 3/8" drive spark plug sockets. The picture on Amazon is wrong. The largest size, the 13/16" one, looks like a 12 point socket in the picture, but it's not. All three of them are six point sockets.

The only beef I have with this set is the retention rubber. It does an excellent job of grabbing the head of the plug, but the rubber tends to stay with the plug, not the socket. This is no big deal unless you have an engine with deep cylindrical spark plug shafts where no needle-nose pliers can reach (like my 2001 Toyota Tundra). And obviously this is only a problem when installing the plugs.However, I was able to solve this problem with a little Henkel 235522 Loctite 0.2-Ounce Tite'n Nuts and Bolts Locker. I'm sure epoxy would probably work, too, but I didn't have any handy. It was solid after about 10 minutes (I was antsy to get my plugs changed), and the rubber has since never come out.Great quality, but 4 stars for the need for glue.

I was working on my lawnmower getting it ready for the new season and realized that the spark plug change required a special sized socket that I did not have in my normal socket set. I went on Amazon to find the right socket and found this Stanley set -- they were perfect. The largest one fit like a glove on the spark plug I was changing and it did not require and special socket wrench handle, I just used the one out of my normal set. The perfect amount of oomph (torque) and the spark plug change was done in 2 minutes. For my application, this worked perfectly!



Predictable Stanley quality -- good stuff, solid socket set that I think will last forever given my use. It's found a permanent spot in my tool chest.

This socket set is unique in that it has a hex bolt at the top so that you can use a pair of pliers to rotate. I used this socket set in conjunction with an allen wrench to remove the strut mounts out of a 99 vw beetle, instead of buying that special metalgeek part. Worked perfectly. - Socket - Socket Sets - Socket Wrenches - Stanley'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Socket Wrenches - stanley, socket socket Socket Wrenches - stanley, socket