Saturday 1 November 2008

Emergency Light - weather radio, emergency kit


It picks up AM/FM channels strong and clear, has a good volume and sound for its size, and has several methods of charging the internal AAA NIMH batteries (which are soldered together into one plastic-wrapped package and uses a 2-prong plug, so not quite easily replaced if the batteries go bad - but NIMH are usually very good.)



The crank handle is solid, and does not feel like it will break easily (unlike other crank-powered radios!) The unit has a rugged, well-built feel to it.



I was not able to pick up the Weather Band with this radio, which seemed odd, as I can pick up WB with other devices quite easily. I am going to email the manufacturer and report it as a malfunction and see what response I get, hopefully they replace the unit with a functioning one. I'll revise my review then.



The 3-led flashlight is very bright and more than adequate. Overall I like this radio. I just hope the WB problem is this unit and not an overall design failure.



Update: Reply from the company was exceptionally fast (within a few hours), and their website indicates they pay return/exchange shipping.



[...]



Update2: Next day, was sent a UPS return-shipping label so no cost to me for the return, and at the same time a new radio was sent out to me.



I expect the new radio to be 100% functional, as I was assured it was tested before shipping.



I'm very pleased and impressed with the high level of service this company has shown toward standing behind their product, and the product itself is very high quality for the low price! Well worth the $20 I spent on it.



[...]



Update3: New unit was received quickly and performs much better on the weather band. It is sensitive to the noise coming from the computer but not so bad that I can't tune the station with the antenna and get a good signal. A few feet away from the noise source, the radio is crystal clear. I assume the original unit had some cross-over noise-filtering issues.



Tech support at Ambient Weather was exceptional.



I highly recommend this radio as an emergency radio/light/usb power supply. Ambient Weather WR-088 Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio, Flashlight, Cell Phone Charger (Red) with Cables

I have been looking for a while for an emergency small radio that I could hand crank. I wanted it small enough that I could throw in a back pack, not too heavy and not too cumbersome. Price is of course very important. I was really surprised when I found this Ambient on amazon for under 20 bucks. First let me be honest I have only used it a few times in my home and not in the field but I am totally impressed. It is very compact, has a rubberized plastic body and it works great. The reception is very good with and without the antenna extended. Just remember this thing has a small speaker so don't expect Bose sound quality, it is for emergencies. The solar panel charges the phone sitting in a window. I have it plugged into a USB AC adapter right now. It has a very good little flash light and the final piece is that it will charge my cell phone. I plugged into my LG and it started charging my phone without me cranking it. The USB cable is capable of accepting other cell charging plugs so if the two included in the box don't fit your phone then just head on down to Radio Shack and buy one and of course you can also buy one on amazon. This an excellent radio for any use. Throw it your back pack, in the trunk of your car, take it to the beach, or use it for your emergency pack. What ever this is a great radio for 20 bucks. I am probably going to buy one for my wife and put it her trunk for emergencies. I would buy it before they get wise what a great deal this is and increase the price.

I had a lot of time for self reflection during the Groundhogs' Day blizzard. I had a hand-crank flashlight to get me through - but it pales in comparison to this device.



Solid and bright flashlight. Decent radio. USB (regular and mini) jacks in the back and the bonus of solar panels.



Doesn't take much effort to get power for the light and radio - you will, however, will have to work it a bit to charge your phone.



Great value for the price.

The product had strong reviews which is why I purchased this item.



The first day I received this radio I exercised it's functionality AM and FM radio worked fine, however the weather band had no reception, and the top ot the telescoping pulled out.



Item was returned and I am now in search of a compact yet rugged emergency radio.

Edited on 02 Aug 11 due to seller feedback (see comments)



I give Two ( edited from: ONE) stars as the flashlight is good & hand crank works well to charge and it is a good design IDEA and external construction. But that is limit to "good" characteristics.



Also, increasing rating due to Ambient Weather feedback and my respect for a vendor who monitors ratings and comments made here.



Cons:



* Unit does NOT tune to any of three NOAA weather stations other two radios will pick up in the house, not even outside on clear night. Therefore, TOTALLY useless as a "weather" radio.



* Can only pick up 2 of 5 AM stations other radios will receive even when outdoors and then only poorly.



* FM reception seems only marginal also.



* Tuner wheel is much too hard to turn to get good lock on a station without a lot of fiddling with it.



* Sound quality is extremely poor even for a small radio and speaker.



Returning for credit and will order another brand for my use outside and on trips.



Edit addition:

-You can find MUCH cheaper hand crank back-up flashlights & USB charger, which is all the unit I received is good for and I don't even have a mp3/mp4 or other device of that type to charge & my cell phone is always charged as my usage is only 5 to 20 min. per month (some months 0, yes ZERO min.

-PLEASE SEE COMMENTS section for further information. - Crank Radio - Weather Radio - Emergency Kit - Emergency Radio'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Emergency Light - weather radio, emergency kit crank radio Emergency Light - weather radio, emergency kit