Sunday 21 September 2008

Soldering Equipment - soldering equipment


I purchased this pencil torch for quick and portable soldering (wires/electrical). Needless to say, it works like a charm. It heats up parts almost instantly and solders beautifully. There are only a few problems. First, when you're soldering, you have to be careful not have any particles (for example bits of solder) fly into the orifice and clog it. There is a quick and easy solution, you just unscrew the orifice and spray a blast of butane through the orifice in reverse and it'll blow the clog out.

Problem number 2 was that the valve can get leaky if you press sideways on it a lot (which can happen when you're holding it like a pencil). This results in a leak forming when you push (or hold it like that) and then the leak will ignite and a plume of flame will flash across your hand. It's not too dangerous and doesn't last long enough to burn more than the tips of hairs, but still not a good thing.



In all, this is a very cheap, very easy torch. I like mine a lot, and I would suggest buying 2 (one for backup).



Also, this does not have an igniter, you need a lighter or match to ignite the jet. Try to ignite the butane at the base of the jet. BUTANE PENCIL TORCH - Adjustable HEAT

The torch is inexpensive and performs well, the problem is however that it fails far too quickly. It probably is simple clogging, but I haven't mastered the art of squirting butane through the nozzle to clear the path. What is more, in my case the problem actually prevented the torch from being able to shut completely; I turned the screw and then had to wait for a few seconds for the gas flow to slowly die.



The torch was cheap enough for me to go and buy a second one, but in the end both torches I've owned failed in a similar way within less than 5 refills. I haven't used the same brand butane so it's less likely that poor fuel was a factor.



In fairness, the instructions do warn of this problem and suggest a solution, but it hasn't worked for me and it's a nuisance either way. I'd suggest you try a different product.

clogs way to easily. every 2 or 3 times of use you need to remove the tip and back flush with butane. I did use cheap butane though. I would try using a triple refined brand of butane and see if that helps.

Product worked well for the first two or three times. Died shortly thereafter and I wasn't able to get it working again. I literally only needed it to work once and the job was done. Just would have been nice if I could have used it again sometime in the future. Disappointed. Would not recommend.

I bought this pencil torch with the greatest expectations to get the job done... It wasnt there for me... when i opened up the package it was in great condition! but as I filled in some butane and waited for 5 minutes to stabilize, the gas came out perfectly. But the problem is that for some reason as a held another light to the tip it wouldnt stay lite for me. I don't know why, maybe I'm doing the wrong proceedure but I tried until I ran out of gas in the low/ med setting. Then afterwards I closed the valve and injected more since I ran out, then when I started to release the gas it wouldnt come out and now its clogged...

I may have gotten an messed up pencil torch but it didnt even light for me and I used RONSON MULTI-FILL ULTRA BUTANE FUEL. I know its not the fuel since its used for mostly every other butane lighters. My conclusion is to buy under your own risk. Maybe thats why the price is so low and maybe its worth to buy a larger butane lighter for $30-40 moreand you can get it from a untility store like home depot or maybe here in amazon as well.



Pros:

-small and compact( about 6.5 inches, I didnt specifically measure)

-uses the gas effiently and not all at once (seen another PT)

-easy to fill and simple design

-Its cheap and you can buy several for under $30



Cons:

- Maybe it's a little bit to simple of a design even though its a pro, but I have mixed feelings about it for my situation.

-The handle that it came with, the ink gets on your hands and smears, it wasnt the color on the picture it was a grey and white color.

-theres a little piece (appx. 1 cm) from the nozzle that falls off to safety the release of unstrewing the whole nozzle.

-And the fact that it gets clogged up easily (maybe just mine idk i lost my opertunity of usage)

Seriously this is absolute junk and is not worth the material it is made of. Everyone of these should be scrapped.

They do not light......when they do it is only for about 5 - 10 seconds then it goes out but you still hear gas escaping. I spent many matches trying to light this piece of junk when I should have used the matches to light what I was trying to light in the first place. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PIECE OF JUNK. Seriously what possibly could be of any use for a torch that stays lit 5 - 10 seconds MAX if you get it lit at all?? Stay away from this cheap Asian junk, IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

I was happy to find this tool and made the purchase for my son. He is totally delighted to have the item, as a replacement for the same tool that had expired.

Finding it was easy; delivery was exactly as promised; I will continue to be your customer.

This thing is a total piece of junk. It's cheap enough that I figured I'd give it a try and if it worked a couple times I'd be satisfied. It worked for one minute, went out and now won't stay lit. I topped off the butane and fiddled with different valve settings with the same result. It's now in the trash. - Soldering Equipment'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Soldering Equipment - soldering equipment soldering equipment Soldering Equipment - soldering equipment