Wednesday 3 September 2008

Oscillating Saw - fein, flush cut


Tool and attachments, 6 Stars.. Case, 2 Stars.. Price, -3 Stars = 5 Stars



This Fein MultiMaster Top kit is one of those tools that cost too much but you can't do the job as fast without it. The last few years, attending woodworking shows, I would watch the demos on the MultiMaster tool. I was ALWAYS impressed as to what the tool was capable of. The price made me walk away. It was not on my list of "GEE, I've got to have that"! However I did see its potential.



Recently, I saw the ad for the new version with the quick blade release and the package supplied attachments, but was still held back by the price. Then it happened. I got a job that required this type of tool.



I had to do a job of installing decorative returns on an old house with period moldings. The old returns had rotted along with some of the crown rake boards. Making the new returns was not a problem; trimming back the 4-inch crown molding was going to be tedious to say the least. I purchased the Fein MultiMaster Top kit and felt the pain all the way back to the job..... Until I opened the box, fitted a (expensive) wood / metal cutting blade and trimmed back old rusty hard to reach nails and 4 inch crown molding to solid wood. The roofs 12/12 pitch made it almost impossible to perform the task at hand with any speed with regular tools. The MultiMaster accomplished the task in minutes. After trimming back 6 returns in under an hour, I was convinced the tool was worth the expense. It was kind of anti climatic however, doing all that work in such short time! $389.00 per hour and done so easily and quickly is what came to mind!



Since the initial purchase, I have found the MultiMaster tool to live up to all I've seen at demo shows. Once you own it, you will find yourself reaching for it more often than you planned. Time verses cost will eventually be offset as this tool pays for itself very quickly.



I find myself treating the attachments as if they were gold, considering their replacement costs. I guess Fein can get away with the high prices because there is no other tool like it that works so well. The blades by the way are very sturdy and long lasting.



Under-cutting doorjambs loaded with trim nails are a breeze. I was able to set tile under 6 doors and the blade teeth still look new. I am looking forward to trying out all the other attachments that came with the "TOP" kit.



The case has some issues. It is nice and square and stores well. It holds all of the supplied accessories and then some. BUT, after seeing the older metal case, the new plastic case is bigger and holds less. The old metal case has foam dividers that make finding each attachment quite easy. Sanding attachments and the paper can be seen on edge. The new case has 2 removable plastic storage cases within the main case. These cases have snap down covers making it difficult to see and grab what you're looking for. Within the small cases, there are no dividers; everything just sits in there bouncing around and store in no particular order. The outside of the main case is consumed by the nice handle, which is recessed in the top of the case when standing on edge, it chews up a lot of storage space that could have been used to have divided storage inside like the old metal case.



I have zero complaints about the quality of the tool and the attachments. They all do what they are supposed to do. My complaints lye with cost of product and attachments, and the poor thoughtfulness of the case storage areas. This tool will not be easy for most people to purchase because of the cash outlay. In my case, it was one of those tools that came to mind while in a predicament. I purchased it, and think of it as a Cool Tool! Fein MultiMaster FMM 250Q Top Variable Speed Sanding and Scraping/Cutting Tool with Case

This tool reminds me a little of the Rotozip. It works extremely well for the job it was designed for, Multimaster=Flush-cutting, Rotozip=cutting drywall, but isn't as good for the other purposes they are advertised for.



I have used this for a few weeks now and have used the flush-cutting and sanding attachments quite a bit already. It has come in extremely handy for those jobs that it is about the only tool that would work, and average at the other jobs like sanding and scraping.



I would give the tool 4 or 5 stars but the blades are way overpriced and don't last real long. You can buy generic blades that are much cheaper and in some cases better quality, but Fein is trying to stop people from making these blades.



By the end of the year Bosch will have their own version here in the states for much cheaper so wait if you can.

I requested this tool as a birthday present from the wife to patch my hardwood floor. After removing a closet as part of my kitchen remodel I had some square cuts on my oak flooring that I needed to stagger (ie: cut in between existing boards) in order to make the repair seamless.



Online instructions had said to use a chisel so I got my trusty Craftsman, sharpened it on the bench grinder, and started whacking away. To my dismay, the super-hard red oak barely budged....time for a Fein Multi Master!



Through trial and error I realized that the best bet is to score a line for the tool to start in (using a razor blade and the above mentioned chisel) otherwise it will wildly vibrate about ruining perfectly good floor boards. I used that technique as well as lowered to tool to the slowest speed to get a good cut line, then would give it full power. I have made about 15 cuts so far and the e-blade is still holding up nice despite the copious amounts of black smoke created when cross cutting the oak.



The tool it's self seems to be well made although the variable speed control is awkwardly located at the back and difficult to adjust (especially when it is running) - and there are no power indicators on it so the first couple times are trial and error. There is no lack of power with the Fein but seems that it could have more control. Perhaps I have shaky hands but I challenge anyone to put this tool on full blast and make a strait knife like plunge cut. It seems that the vibrating is not only side to side but back and forth to a degree. Another thing to be on the lookout for is the actual extension of the vibrating blade. With it moving so fast it is easy to get past where you want to cut as the blade edge is blurry and hard to view when running.



The case is a complete disappointment as the interior is not blow molded but rather has a flimsy plastic cut out that the tool rests in that is about the thickness of three sheets of paper. Mine was broken from the get-go so I will be contacting Amazon for a replacement liner. Moreover, the case does not open 180 degrees but rather only 90 degrees. I am still not sure why it was designed this way as every other tool case I have opens fully. Unless your surface is flat, you run the risk of getting a finger slammed closed in it. All this in a case that costs over $100! Had I to do it over again I think I would forego the case and get a bag to throw it in.



Amongst other qualifiers I rate products on value. How does the Fein measure up? Well, it is HORRIFICALLY expensive for what it is and the replacement blades will run you to the poor house. However, it has the distinction of doing what no other tool can. Funny, this thing reminds me of my BMW M3....:)



Should you get it? If you can avoid it I would say no, but as I stated it has capabilities that no other tool I know of has. If someone made a cheap knock-off of it I would get that in a second being a DIYer. For a pro it is worth the money. - Oscillating Saw - Flush Cut - Multimaster - Fein'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Oscillating Saw - fein, flush cut fein Oscillating Saw - fein, flush cut